Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121720212223 LastLast

Thread: New!!! 50mm f1.8 G lens

Blog Entries

Default Re: New!!! 50mm f1.8 G lens

Quote Originally Posted by jas1984 View Post
    Ya.. but.. 80% of my money goes to my wife for household expenses so ... haiz... wahahaha so have to save a longer time...
    haha no choice =x...
    Lousy de My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange View Post
    haha no choice =x...
    Ya what to do... family come first... wahaha
    Nikon D5000 - 18-55mm l 55-200mm l 35mm f1.8g l Grip
    My FlickR l Google+

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jas1984 View Post
    Ya what to do... family come first... wahaha
    yup yup =)
    Lousy de My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by bigpond View Post
    This site has a good comparison of many 50mm lenses -- check it out -- there are lots of bokeh tests at various apertures. Think people have posted this link before:

http://mansurovs.com/nikon-50mm-f1-8g-review#more-15792

This guy really likes the new 50/1.8G lens a lot!
    Thanks!
    ya silly me forgot about this site.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra
    Not too much of an issue in good lighting conditions, but indoors is another matter altogether.
    Thanks for the tips.
    Normally I shoot at 1/40 or sometimes at 1/50 uf light permit. I realise at f/16 the contrast drop. Do you have this problem or its my shaky hand again?

Quote Originally Posted by Actururss View Post
    Thanks for the tips.
    Normally I shoot at 1/40 or sometimes at 1/50 uf light permit. I realise at f/16 the contrast drop. Do you have this problem or its my shaky hand again?
    Have not got this lens... (yet), but only had brief test session with it over the weekend.
    I doubt I will use this lens @ f/16, since my main intention is to use it wide-open or at least close to it.
    For stopping down, I would probably use another lens like a wide-to-tele zoom.

Thanks for the tips.
    usually ppl don't go beyond f8. r u shooting 1/40 handheld? this lens has no vr, for me i kiasu abit, so i shoot at min 1/80 handheld.

Quote Originally Posted by baggiolee

usually ppl don't go beyond f8. r u shooting 1/40 handheld? this lens has no vr, for me i kiasu abit, so i shoot at min 1/80 handheld.
    Yes, now that you remind me that this lense don't have VR.
    I should have make the shutter a little faster.
    Too used to shoot at 1/40 with my other VR lense.
    Thanks for reminding.

Thanks for the tips.
    One factor that can cause a decline in contrast at f/16 is diffraction. For most lenses with apertures ranging from say f1.4 to f16, you'll get max performance in the mid range around f4 to f8. Big apertures suffer from optical aberrations; whereas at very small apertures like f16 or f22 in some lenses, you'll get reduced sharpness and contrast due to diffraction.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpond

One factor that can cause a decline in contrast at f/16 is diffraction. For most lenses with apertures ranging from say f1.4 to f16, you'll get max performance in the mid range around f4 to f8. Big apertures suffer from optical aberrations; whereas at very small apertures like f16 or f22 in some lenses, you'll get reduced sharpness and contrast due to diffraction.
    Thanks for helpful sharing.
    What normally is the best f number for scenery?

Thanks for helpful sharing.
    What normally is the best f number for scenery?
    For max depth of field, yet avoiding diffraction issues, I try not to go beyond f11. If your objects are all far away, depth of field is not such a big concern, you'll get incredibly crisp and sharp images at f5.6 to f8 with the 50mm.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpond

For max depth of field, yet avoiding diffraction issues, I try not to go beyond f11. If your objects are all far away, depth of field is not such a big concern, you'll get incredibly crisp and sharp images at f5.6 to f8 with the 50mm.
    Thanks for sharing.

Has anyone tried buying this lens from Malaysia? Is the price worth buying?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kansatish View Post
    Has anyone tried buying this lens from Malaysia? Is the price worth buying?
    You should contact the shops in malaysia, get the price, then decide for yourself if it is worth it. Some people will only find it worth it if they save $200-300. Some people will find it worth it even if they save $1-2.

You have to decide for yourself.

Some shops to call.
    http://fotoberlian.com/
    http://www.meetoophoto.com/
    http://shashinki.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Not too much of an issue in good lighting conditions, but indoors is another matter altogether.
    For low lights, I would suggest to use auto ISO and maintain 1/100 shutter speed at any aperture you will use and surely it's a sharp output. A little cleaning for the noise and you're done. Much better compared to a blurry photos. Give it a try and you will be happy ... hehe

Quote Originally Posted by kerstian View Post
    For low lights, I would suggest to use auto ISO and maintain 1/100 shutter speed at any aperture you will use and surely it's a sharp output. A little cleaning for the noise and you're done. Much better compared to a blurry photos. Give it a try and you will be happy ... hehe
    Have tried f/1.8 and 1/60 and ISO4500 and still there are times when it isn't bright enough
    But it's ok, you don't need to convince me. I know the limitations...

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    anybody has both the 50/1.8D and the 50/1.8G and can do some simple side-by-side comparisons of bokeh, etc?

Just SOOC JPGs would be great
    Or else I've gotta go get the 50/1.8G for myself and try try... hehehehe
    Without a doubt, the Bokeh is lovely from the new "AF-S G", I had the AF-D version and its noisy, with bad bokeh! But this one gives quite smooth without any "doubbling / splitting" effects.

The extra $100 is worth it

Quote Originally Posted by faisalee View Post
    Without a doubt, the Bokeh is lovely from the new "AF-S G", I had the AF-D version and its noisy, with bad bokeh! But this one gives quite smooth without any "doubbling / splitting" effects.

The extra $100 is worth it
    wah... strong praise indeed Sounds like I must give this lens a more thorough test run
    Bokeh from the 1.8D also not bad if wide open, I felt. Stopping down a bit resulted in (slightly annoying) hexagonal-shaped bokeh.

Love this lens, affordable and perform well. I sold my 85 1.4D which has been so idle and get this lens instead because it's less restricted in terms of focal length for my d90. Thanks to its aspherical element, chromatic and longitudinal aberrations are minimized. This lens is sharp wide open alrd and the bokeh is acceptable to me having used the 85mm lens.

however DXO rates it lower than the 1.8D.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121720212223 LastLast