Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bringing a focus test chart while lens shopping

Default Re: Bringing a focus test chart while lens shopping

Quote Originally Posted by Turbonetics View Post
    where can we actually get a copy of the focus test chart?
    here u go:
    http://************/3xgxy7o
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

I ever tried bringing it to the store before, but they won't actually let me cycle through their copy of lenses to get a better one -.-"

One disadvantage with sony is no testing

Quote Originally Posted by eventidephoenix View Post
    I ever tried bringing it to the store before, but they won't actually let me cycle through their copy of lenses to get a better one -.-"

Which store?
    ADDICTED

Blog Entries

No one will allow you to cycle through all the copies for the best one.

You get one copy. Test it. Make sure it is ok. If it is not, then ask for another. If ok, pay and go. There is no better or worse copy. Whether the focus is "on", or "not on". As simple as that.

If you still insist you want to cycle through all copies of the stock they have to select the best one, God help you.

5 other people did the same and took the good copies. The shop wants to sell the last copy also
    Jokes aside, there is warranty and there is calibration service if necessary.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    No one will allow you to cycle through all the copies for the best one.

You get one copy. Test it. Make sure it is ok. If it is not, then ask for another. If ok, pay and go. There is no better or worse copy. Whether the focus is "on", or "not on". As simple as that.

If you still insist you want to cycle through all copies of the stock they have to select the best one, God help you.
    I was merely exaggerating... Just that my copy had quite bad backfocus, and he didn't let me try the only other copy he had in the shop... I thought i wasn't doing the chart properly, but yea I ended up sending it in for calibration anyway...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eventidephoenix

I was merely exaggerating... Just that my copy had quite bad backfocus, and he didn't let me try the only other copy he had in the shop... I thought i wasn't doing the chart properly, but yea I ended up sending it in for calibration anyway...
    Well you have to put the question out properly. When buying, if the focus is off, just tell the salesperson the focus is off and reject the copy. Do not say you want to "try" the other copy to compare. But rather reject the current copy and not compare both and get the better one.

If you try the 2nd copy, and The focus is also not on, then reject politely and don't buy.

You can't expect the store to let you try and compare and get the better of the two. It is not a durian store. You are not supposed to be "trying". Rather you are inspecting the copy of the lens you are going to buy.

That said, I have bought lenses that require calibration also, only because it is the last copy left and the focus is only slightly off. But i always have the option to not buy it. Even when I got my sigma tele prime, first copy I tried is slightly front focused. Just tell the uncle it is off and automatically he took out a second piece. And the 2nd one is tack sharp spot on.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 17th April 2011 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

Well you have to put the question out properly. When buying, if the focus is off, just tell the salesperson the focus is off and reject the copy. Do not say you want to "try" the other copy to compare. But rather reject the current copy and not compare both and get the better one.

If you try the 2nd copy, and The focus is also not on, then reject politely and don't buy.

You can't expect the store to let you try and compare and get the better of the two. It is not a durian store. You are not supposed to be "trying". Rather you are inspecting the copy of the lens you are going to buy.

That said, I have bought lenses that require calibration also, only because it is the last copy left and the focus is only slightly off. But i always have the option to not buy it. Even when I got my sigma tele prime, first copy I tried is slightly front focused. Just tell the uncle it is off and automatically he took out a second piece. And the 2nd one is tack sharp spot on.
    This is very good advice. Thanks DD.
    ADDICTED

Don't always blame the lens for soft/ff/bf problem, sometimes the fault is at the body

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008...nd-other-myths

sry double post
    Last edited by oceanpriest; 18th April 2011 at 03:51 PM.

omg, what's wrong with this forum
    Last edited by oceanpriest; 18th April 2011 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest
    omg, what's wrong with this forum
    Server lag, so if you click submit more than once you will post multiple times

Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest
    Don't always blame the lens for soft/ff/bf problem, sometimes the fault is at the body

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008...nd-other-myths
    it's the lens if all your other lenses are ok.
    ADDICTED

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12