Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: Bringing a focus test chart while lens shopping

  1. #21
    Member Irvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North? South? East? West?
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: Bringing a focus test chart while lens shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonetics View Post
    where can we actually get a copy of the focus test chart?
    here u go:
    http://************/3xgxy7o
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Bringing a focus test chart while lens shopping

    I ever tried bringing it to the store before, but they won't actually let me cycle through their copy of lenses to get a better one -.-"

    One disadvantage with sony is no testing

  3. #23
    Member bojee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    417

    Default Re: Bringing a focus test chart while lens shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by eventidephoenix View Post
    I ever tried bringing it to the store before, but they won't actually let me cycle through their copy of lenses to get a better one -.-"

    One disadvantage with sony is no testing
    Which store?
    ADDICTED

  4. #24
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Bringing a focus test chart while lens shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by eventidephoenix View Post
    I ever tried bringing it to the store before, but they won't actually let me cycle through their copy of lenses to get a better one -.-"

    One disadvantage with sony is no testing
    No one will allow you to cycle through all the copies for the best one.

    You get one copy. Test it. Make sure it is ok. If it is not, then ask for another. If ok, pay and go. There is no better or worse copy. Whether the focus is "on", or "not on". As simple as that.

    If you still insist you want to cycle through all copies of the stock they have to select the best one, God help you.

  5. #25
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: Bringing a focus test chart while lens shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by eventidephoenix View Post
    I ever tried bringing it to the store before, but they won't actually let me cycle through their copy of lenses to get a better one -.-"
    One disadvantage with sony is no testing
    5 other people did the same and took the good copies. The shop wants to sell the last copy also
    Jokes aside, there is warranty and there is calibration service if necessary.
    EOS

  6. #26

    Default Re: Bringing a focus test chart while lens shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    No one will allow you to cycle through all the copies for the best one.

    You get one copy. Test it. Make sure it is ok. If it is not, then ask for another. If ok, pay and go. There is no better or worse copy. Whether the focus is "on", or "not on". As simple as that.

    If you still insist you want to cycle through all copies of the stock they have to select the best one, God help you.
    I was merely exaggerating... Just that my copy had quite bad backfocus, and he didn't let me try the only other copy he had in the shop... I thought i wasn't doing the chart properly, but yea I ended up sending it in for calibration anyway...

  7. #27
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eventidephoenix

    I was merely exaggerating... Just that my copy had quite bad backfocus, and he didn't let me try the only other copy he had in the shop... I thought i wasn't doing the chart properly, but yea I ended up sending it in for calibration anyway...
    Well you have to put the question out properly. When buying, if the focus is off, just tell the salesperson the focus is off and reject the copy. Do not say you want to "try" the other copy to compare. But rather reject the current copy and not compare both and get the better one.

    If you try the 2nd copy, and The focus is also not on, then reject politely and don't buy.

    You can't expect the store to let you try and compare and get the better of the two. It is not a durian store. You are not supposed to be "trying". Rather you are inspecting the copy of the lens you are going to buy.

    That said, I have bought lenses that require calibration also, only because it is the last copy left and the focus is only slightly off. But i always have the option to not buy it. Even when I got my sigma tele prime, first copy I tried is slightly front focused. Just tell the uncle it is off and automatically he took out a second piece. And the 2nd one is tack sharp spot on.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 17th April 2011 at 08:05 AM.

  8. #28
    Member bojee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

    Well you have to put the question out properly. When buying, if the focus is off, just tell the salesperson the focus is off and reject the copy. Do not say you want to "try" the other copy to compare. But rather reject the current copy and not compare both and get the better one.

    If you try the 2nd copy, and The focus is also not on, then reject politely and don't buy.

    You can't expect the store to let you try and compare and get the better of the two. It is not a durian store. You are not supposed to be "trying". Rather you are inspecting the copy of the lens you are going to buy.

    That said, I have bought lenses that require calibration also, only because it is the last copy left and the focus is only slightly off. But i always have the option to not buy it. Even when I got my sigma tele prime, first copy I tried is slightly front focused. Just tell the uncle it is off and automatically he took out a second piece. And the 2nd one is tack sharp spot on.
    This is very good advice. Thanks DD.
    ADDICTED

  9. #29
    Senior Member oceanpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ghim Moh
    Posts
    3,453

    Default Re: Bringing a focus test chart while lens shopping

    Don't always blame the lens for soft/ff/bf problem, sometimes the fault is at the body

    http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008...nd-other-myths

  10. #30
    Senior Member oceanpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ghim Moh
    Posts
    3,453

    Default Re: Bringing a focus test chart while lens shopping

    sry double post
    Last edited by oceanpriest; 18th April 2011 at 03:51 PM.

  11. #31
    Senior Member oceanpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ghim Moh
    Posts
    3,453

    Default Re: Bringing a focus test chart while lens shopping

    omg, what's wrong with this forum
    Last edited by oceanpriest; 18th April 2011 at 03:51 PM.

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest
    omg, what's wrong with this forum
    Server lag, so if you click submit more than once you will post multiple times

  13. #33
    Member bojee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest
    Don't always blame the lens for soft/ff/bf problem, sometimes the fault is at the body

    http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008...nd-other-myths
    it's the lens if all your other lenses are ok.
    ADDICTED

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •