Thread: Topcon IC-1 user need help!

Talking Topcon IC-1 user need help!

I just bought a used Topcon IC-1 and the exterior condition looks good. Lens all ok except for some small bits of dirt/dust/what-nots in the sight glass. I'm a noob in phototaking and getting this vintage SLR is also a risk which I would like to embark on as I got it pretty cheap at Sungei Rd. Immediately bought it home and gave it some surface cleaning. Took out the lens for closer inspection. Everything's ok. All button functioning. Except for these :-
    1) when I open up the back cover, I noticed that there is a 'cloth' like thing covering the aperture.(correct me if I got the parts name wrong.) I remember my old point-and-shoot camera doesn't have anything covering it. I can even see the shutter move when I click it. But for this Topcon, what is this 'cloth' doing there? Further more, a small portion of it is kind o loose. So my question is, "Should I remove it? If so, how?"
    2) the battery compartment is a gonna as the previous owner left the battery inside to rot.
    I really hope someone can offer some good advice. Pls dun ask me to get another one.:P Or maybe some kind soul can show me the light as to where I can get it service at reasonable cost?
    3) Last question. Where to get the accessories? Like flash cable?
    Thanks a million for the kind soul who can help me. Kum sia.

Default Re: Topcon IC-1 user need help!

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    Awesome brought back memories my very first SLR before my Nikon F2 !
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

Quote Originally Posted by Zeisser View Post
    Awesome brought back memories my very first SLR before my Nikon F2 !
    I have the same feeling too

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    I have the same feeling too
    Guys, thanks. That's the 1st website I managed to find which is useful. But they still did not show what is that 'black' cloth is used for. I'm in the process of thinking whether to strip it down myself or get professional help (that will cost alot of $$ right?) BTW, 2 noob question.
    1) without putting in film and with the cover opened, if I '****' the camera, will the shutter snap? Mine doesn't. Does that mean the shutter is damaged?
    2) Can I still use the camera, say if the shutter is ok, and the battery compartment's beyond repair? I can forgo the flash light part.
    Thanks again for those who replied.

Quote Originally Posted by chowrunfatt View Post
    Guys, thanks. That's the 1st website I managed to find which is useful. But they still did not show what is that 'black' cloth is used for. I'm in the process of thinking whether to strip it down myself or get professional help (that will cost alot of $$ right?) BTW, 2 noob question......
    Don't touch the "black cloth". That's the shutter curtain. It's function is to allow/disallow light to reach the film.

Hi Diavonex, thanks for the advice. But mine abit loose. Can see the bottom part not in place. Does that mean light will leak in? Is there any way I can put it back in place? I've just started to strip down the camera, starting from the base. Guess what I discovered? There is a thin cable connecting the cocking mechanism which is frayed and a tiny catch device coming loose. ( Will post pic soon ) Did some DIY and managed to get the catch mechanism back into it's rightful place. Now my biggest headache is the frayed cable. It did not snap but still holding on with just 1 strand.
    Question
    1) Should I replace it and if so, where to find spare parts?
    2) Anyway of substituting it with another type of cable or splicing it back together?
    Anyone ever tried stripping the entire camera apart?
    This is getting more and more exciting as I've never taken apart a camera before. But because of my mechanical background, I'm trying to catalogue the parts and taking pictures of 'before' and 'after' so that I don't mess up the screws/parts.
    Really need all the help I can get to get this restoration project going. Will update with pics soon. Cheers.

SNAP!! OMG.. the cable finally snapped! But at least not before showing that the shutter actually works and the black cloth managed to move to the next section..phew. Now trying to DIY another cables taken from a bicycle, which happens to have roughly the same thickness but have to remove several strands so that it's not so stiff. Wish me luck. Pics will follow...