Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portable Storage ? anyone still using them ?

Default Re: Portable Storage ? anyone still using them ?

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    i know.. duh... what i mean is that it is all those fanciful feature that jack up the price. I nv say a normal dumb portable storage can do backup on the go. and yes, my $35 case (excluding hdd) can do backup without comps, there is a supplied 4xAA battery case + normal USB port to connect cables to cams or USB card reader. if u get the picture.
    Hi Bro.. would really be interested to know how this works as I intend to get an external backup device too.
    Would you kindly explain how you can backup to the external hdd without comp please?
    IIRC for my cam, I'd need to purchase the wireless transmitter grip for this to work.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Hello glennyong.
    Try looking at Colorspace Hyperdrive UDMA from Memory World at either Funan or SLS.
    The latest model is really pretty good. 500Gb storage. Can backup your CF or SD cards on the go and can do recovery of corrupted cards.
    My humble suggestion.
    still contemplating to get one. haha

i know.. duh... what i mean is that it is all those fanciful feature that jack up the price. I nv say a normal dumb portable storage can do backup on the go. and yes, my $35 case (excluding hdd) can do backup without comps, there is a supplied 4xAA battery case + normal USB port to connect cables to cams or USB card reader. if u get the picture.
    u mean this?

casing + hdd <---- usb cable ----> cam/card reader

but how u trigger the copy function? unless you wrote a program but then if your portable hdd is just a storage, the program will not work without OS intervention to execute the program.

unless the cam got a copy to function, then this method can work. I haven explore my cam if it got this function yet but if there is. i dun need to get a hyperdrive anymore.
    Last edited by sinned79; 26th April 2011 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79

u mean this?

casing + hdd <---- usb cable ----> cam/card reader

but how u trigger the copy function? unless you wrote a program but then if your portable hdd is just a storage, the program will not work without OS intervention to execute the program.

unless the cam got a copy to function, then this method can work. I haven explore my cam if it got this function yet but if there is. i dun need to get a hyperdrive anymore.
    In the first place, I nv say mine was a mere normal hdd case. The case had got switch to switch between normal hdd mode used to connect to pc and also a mode to become a backup drive, cam attached to it via Ian cable will be seen as another portable drive, and all data will be backup over. It works exactly the same way any other portable backup storage works. Just that the case itself does not include card reader age built-in battery. And as previous post, a 4xAA batt adapter is provided to power the hdd for backup purpose.

The setup is something like

Hdd + batt adap + card reader/cam = portable back up
    Hyperdrive workable the same, but the batt and card reader is integrated together and a additional lcd, therefore the much higher price

Last but not least, I never say it is a dumb portable hdd case that u can get from simlim at $10.
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 26th April 2011 at 12:42 PM.

In the first place, I nv say mine was a mere normal hdd case. The case had got switch to switch between normal hdd mode used to connect to pc and also a mode to become a backup drive, cam attached to it via Ian cable will be seen as another portable drive, and all data will be backup over. It works exactly the same way any other portable backup storage works. Just that the case itself does not include card reader age built-in battery. And as previous post, a 4xAA batt adapter is provided to power the hdd for backup purpose.

Hyperdrive workable the same, but the batt and card reader is integrated together and a additional lcd, therefore the much higher price

Last but not least, I never say it is a dumb portable hdd case that u can get from simlim at $10.
    hmm u refering to those one touch back up case? like iomega?

Hi Bro.. appreciate if you could tell us the brand or place you bought the enclosure from?
    It'll save us loads compared to the Colorspace device.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    not sure which model u talking about, but from the google image i see, not exactly, mine has got battery adapter to use on the go, where as iomega need to be powered by PC.. etc thru the USB cable.

I give up explaining, here is the picture of the complete setup. Other than the thumbdrive, the rest came together @ $35. and yes, the cable is USB-USB, instead of the common USB-miniUSB

Quote Originally Posted by chewraisins View Post
    Hi Bro.. appreciate if you could tell us the brand or place you bought the enclosure from?
    It'll save us loads compared to the Colorspace device.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    I got it extremely long ago, probably more than 4yrs, i doubt the shop still has it. It is very slow by today standard and the way people easily clock tens of gigs in a day. I don shoot much, so it doesn't matter much for me + i use it mainly as a normal HDD
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 26th April 2011 at 05:09 PM.

Last year..I used a something similar to this for my holiday with my family. My kids and I have too many devices - DSLR, Compacts and video cam. Thus, had to find a way to managed the storage.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-5in-o...-enclosure-781

This device has slots to inserts cards to do the transfer. It is only the enclosure, you need to buy a HDD to fit it in. The HDD I brought locally (you might want to check what is the max capacity that can be used. I cannot remember).

It is not a very advanced device. You cannot review your photos nor do much complicated functions, It just perform a simple transfer. You can find out how much memory is left after each transfer, so it might be good to keep a record yourself on what you have transfer just to be sure.

As many has mentioned here. It is a risk to keep all files without back-up in one device. So please do your own evaluation and risk assessment.
    Last edited by Ahren; 26th April 2011 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahren View Post
    Last year..I used a something similar to this for my holiday with my family. My kids and I have too many devices - DSLR, Compacts and video cam. Thus, had to find a way to managed the storage.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-5in-o...-enclosure-781

This device has slots to inserts cards to do the transfer. It is only the enclosure, you need to buy a HDD to fit it in. The HDD I brought locally (you might want to check what is the max capacity that can be used. I cannot remember).

It is not a very advanced device. You cannot review your photos nor do much complicated functions, It just perform a simple transfer. You can find out how much memory is left after each transfer, so it might be good to keep a record yourself on what you have transfer just to be sure.

As many has mentioned here. It is a risk to keep all files without back-up in one device. So please do your own evaluation.
    yes, i was using exactly the same device prior to my current one, got this after my digimate failed in less than a year. 4-5yrs back all these device were once popular due to price of memory card, a 2GB SD cost me $140 during that time which make these devices a really sensible solution. but with current memory price, a 16GB high speed easily under $100, i see little point of the extra trouble. it probably take a good 1/2hr or more just to copy 16GB worth of photo with those device, not really worth the effort.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12