Just a short tribute to the lens that I love so dearly, despite being a non-nikkor, its performance deserves a close look by many who wants a wide angle, but cannot afford the Nikkor 12-24mm or Sigma 12-24mm.
What I liked
- Its decently priced
- Very sharp lens from f4 up, and by f10, its razor
- decent at f1.8, no vignetting on a APS size dslr.
- Not too heavy, especially for a f1.8
- Very very fast aperture
- Close focusing (20cm !), interesting shots can be captured. Very important for a wide angle to focus close, since the objects seem so far away.
- warm colours
- nice bokeh
- Nice focus ring
What can be better
- Sigma EX lenses have this rubber finish that just dont withstand any abuse
- Flare is a problem
- 82mm filter size
- focusing is noisy and slow ( although not an issue with Wide angles)
Let the pictures speak for themselves.
I like the colours, and the sharpness is incredible. Shot @ f10
Low light is its forte @f2.8 1/20s
Close focusing (just 3 cm from front element) and the bokeh is good. @f2.2
Again... close focusing and bokeh @f2 1/15s
I'm in love with this lens, completely. If u intend to purchase a 19-35 from Tamron or whatever, simply give it a miss. If u want a Nikkor 20mm or 18-35, think really hard.
Just a tribute to this lens. A wonderful tool for street, low light and landscape photography.