Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need simple help here

Default need simple help here

i tried to take a photo of a person that cant stay still, i am using "TV" shutter speed mode have a few problem of the outcome, pls give me some tips,

i use this setting for "TV" mode: 1/10 f5 ISO 100

but it turns out dark for the pic, after that i tried to use flash light but is too bright for the person, what should i do

**using canon 60D

Default Re: need simple help here

using pop-up flash?

Did you spot meter on the subject?
    Exploring! :)

er.. i am using the built flash, sorry i am beginner so i tired using the "TV" mode not the "M" mode was tiring out the setting

er.. i am using the built in flash, sorry i am beginner so i tired using the "TV" mode not the "M" mode was tiring out the setting

Quote Originally Posted by ahseng79 View Post
    i tried to take a photo of a person that cant stay still, i am using "TV" shutter speed mode have a few problem of the outcome, pls give me some tips,

i use this setting for "TV" mode: 1/10 f5 ISO 100

but it turns out dark for the pic, after that i tried to use flash light but is too bright for the person, what should i do

**using canon 60D
    Under what lighting conditions did you take the photo? Have you tried bumping up the ISO when your picture turns out dark?

i was in a room with a white fluorescent light, and tried to put the ISO around 1000, is still dark

Try getting a off-camera flash and bouncing the light off the ceiling.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

A common cause of underexposure in an autoexposure mode such as P, Av, Tv is something brighter than the subject in the frame e.g. a backlight, a dark complexioned person in white clothes etc.
    Or perhaps you accidentally set a negative exposure compensation (the rear dial on the 60D controls this, so it's easy to do it without noticing)

Please post the picture so we can give better advice. Please also leave the EXIF information intact. If you do not know what EXIF information is, please google. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ahseng79
    er.. i am using the built flash, sorry i am beginner so i tired using the "TV" mode not the "M" mode was tiring out the setting
    No need to apologize for being a beginner.
    Everybody starts somewhere.
    I suspect your camera chose different settings once the pop-up flash was raised. That's one of the reasons why manual exposure mode is preferred (esp when indoors and lighting is quite consistent), because you retain more control over the settings.

There's no clear cut solution to this 'problem'.

edit:
    in the automated exposure modes (ie. P, Tv, Av), you should be able to adjust 2 parameters (exposure compensation; flash EV) to tweak the final outcome.
    Experiment more and also read about flash photography.
    Do note that flash power (brightness) is greatly affected by the distance between you and your subject.
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 11th April 2011 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    No need to apologize for being a beginner.
    Everybody starts somewhere.
    I suspect your camera chose different settings once the pop-up flash was raised. That's one of the reasons why manual exposure mode is preferred (esp when indoors and lighting is quite consistent), because you retain more control over the settings.

There's no clear cut solution to this 'problem'.

edit:
    in the automated exposure modes (ie. P, Tv, Av), you should be able to adjust 2 parameters (exposure compensation; flash EV) to tweak the final outcome.
    Experiment more and also read about flash photography.
    Do note that flash power (brightness) is greatly affected by the distance between you and your subject.
    hi, thanks for the tips, erm... the flash did not pop up itself, i press it up, the object is just less then 1m, i was trying a close shot becos the person is doing something and i like the move, for the exposure behind the camera i do tune it to the max brightness sorry i cant post the picture as the person will not want me to do it, will post out the EXIF infor soon, the way i do it is just take the shot and edit the exposure with another software.

as for fmeeran, i would not want to buy that 1st, becos is just like an normal occasion that just want to bring out my camera and have a shot on the person.

Have you tried it keeping a person stand still and how long did you work with shutter?I think pop-up flash will give best result for you.please try it and give details and suggestions about it.

Portrait Photographer
    Headshots photographers

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    Have you tried it keeping a person stand still and how long did you work with shutter?I think pop-up flash will give best result for you.please try it and give details and suggestions about it.

Portrait Photographer
    Headshots photographers
    i work with 1/10 for my shutter speed and tried using flash and is too bright for the object, when trying without flash with 1/10 and f5 is too dark, explosure also high too, iso 1000 also dark, becos was trying sudden shot on person not easy to ask them to stay still

you need to play around with your shutter speed and your flash. 1/10 is too slow for using flash.
    for pop-up flash use indoors, try having a white card in front of the flash and angeled to the ceiling. this will give you the effect of a bounce card. of course, if this is hand held, you will still need some trial and error to get it right. this helps quite a bit with the light not being too harsh.

you can also choose to dial down the power of the flash, say -1 to -2 EV.

shutter speed i leave you to see what works for you. but you should be somewhere 1/30 or faster with flash in a confined room.

do keep these things in mind:
    apperture = how much light can come in to the sensor
    shutter speed = how long that light comes in to the sensor
    ISO = how sensitive the sensor will react to the light
    is using a digital camera that works ...

Quote Originally Posted by makolit View Post
    you need to play around with your shutter speed and your flash. 1/10 is too slow for using flash.
    for pop-up flash use indoors, try having a white card in front of the flash and angeled to the ceiling. this will give you the effect of a bounce card. of course, if this is hand held, you will still need some trial and error to get it right. this helps quite a bit with the light not being too harsh.

you can also choose to dial down the power of the flash, say -1 to -2 EV.

shutter speed i leave you to see what works for you. but you should be somewhere 1/30 or faster with flash in a confined room.

do keep these things in mind:
    apperture = how much light can come in to the sensor
    shutter speed = how long that light comes in to the sensor
    ISO = how sensitive the sensor will react to the light
    thanks for the tips, i will try take 1/30 or faster but i am only using built in flash, as i cant power the flash, the only thing i can do is to cover with white card or something.. so just try it,, thanks again

thanks for the tips, i will try take 1/30 or faster but i am only using built in flash, as i cant power the flash, the only thing i can do is to cover with white card or something.. so just try it,, thanks again
    Wait - why are you trying to cover the flash? What is it you are trying to achieve? I have a feeling you really need to go and re-read your manual and the dozens of newbies guides on the web. You seem to have a very poor understanding of the exposure triangle.
    Alpha

i thought mikolit said this "try having a white card in front of the flash and angeled to the ceiling. " in his previous msg, i just reply as it is.

i thought mikolit said this "try having a white card in front of the flash and angeled to the ceiling. " in his previous msg, i just reply as it is.
    I think what makolit suggested was to bounce the flash off the ceiling and not just cover it up, you are a little confused there.

I think it is important to know WHY you choose a particular setting to take a photograph, rather than 'blindly' listening to suggestions. Because nobody has seen the actual situation in which you took that photo.

Know the basics.
    Apply the basics to suit the situation as best you can.

by the way,, i have post the very 1st question, i have a feeling u did not gone through the 1st message i have post and reply my last message, i know there is dozens and even more guides, just by asking a question, will not need to read through the whole forum or find the whole www until i cant find any answer then i can ask here? yes... i am new and beginner i very poor in photography, so.... what to the extend that i can ask or i cant ask.. i did try a few things and few ways, i did not just ask a question by not trying anything,, i never ask how to run, just ask how to walk, by the way,, u are a senior here, how u guild the newbies? of cos i know learn is have to start from beginner and very hard.. but have to start from somewhere and come to ??? of cos have to ask and ask.. if i know what are the thing i can ask and not to ask, i will not to the forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast