Thread: Pls advise on suitable flash and equipments for handicrafts photograhpy^^

Default Pls advise on suitable flash and equipments for handicrafts photograhpy^^

Hi pple,

I am a new DSLR user with a Canon 50D. Currently has a 18-200mm and a 50mm 1.8 lens. I am pretty interested in product photography for handmade jewellery, like those which are suitable for blogshops.

I am pretty unsure about which flash and equipments will be suitable although I did read up on flash photography. Please give some advice...

Thanks.

Default Re: Pls advise on suitable flash and equipments for handicrafts photograhpy^^

1st, u probably u need to get a flash, 430EXII or a lamp for your light source.

2nd, u need to create an environment/backdrop for your shoot.

an example can be a DIY lightbox as seen below

or a more intricate setup

though personally i would prefer a short macro lens, works wonder in showing the intricate details of jewelery.
    Last edited by Akatsuki; 10th April 2011 at 05:10 PM.
    Playing with M43.

Default Re: Pls advise on suitable flash and equipments for handicrafts photograhpy^^

Hey, thanks alot for the info.

eh... will any type of external flash do? or is it the more costly types will be better?
    and are close-up filters good enough? ^^

Quote Originally Posted by kumokoyun View Post
    Hey, thanks alot for the info.

eh... will any type of external flash do? or is it the more costly types will be better?
    and are close-up filters good enough? ^^
    if you have budget constraint, one or 2 lamps would suffice.. as for lens, what you have is adequate... try shooting out with them before thinking of any further purchases...

try not to BBB!
    Playing with M43.

Blog Entries

TS, this is another approach:

Light Tent - Cost $50-70
    TTL External flash - which you can use for other situations.
    TTL flash cord - Cost $40+
    Your 18-200 lens will do.

Shoot at F8 - F16. Flash mounted on the flash cord which is in turn mounted on the plastic stand that came with the flash. Flash head pointed 50-70 deg upwards. Auto TTL mode. Flash placed inside the tent.

I used this and this is the result. (Tamron 17-50 @ 29mm, F13, 1/60, ISO800, SB600 on flash cord tilted 60 deg upward, TTL flash mode, camera left, inside the tent).

Last edited by daredevil123; 11th April 2011 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks for all your advices... I will definitely go take a look at those equipments listed ^^