Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: 24/2.8D or 24-85(G or D) on D700?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    why should I tell you?
    Posts
    914

    Default 24/2.8D or 24-85(G or D) on D700?

    I am wondering which lens will you choose for D700?

    I get used to prime,but since the 24-85(G or D) aperture(at 24mm) almost same with 24/2.8,so I wonder which lens will you choose?please advise,thanks.

    btw,I have no budget to go for 24G prime.

  2. #2

    Default Re: 24/2.8D or 24-85(G or D) on D700?

    the choice is rather straight-forward.

    if you need the range from 25mm-85mm, go with the zoom lens
    if you don't, go with the prime for better IQ, and have a lighter lens.

    the 24-85G though does not have the larger aperture of the 24-85D, but has better IQ, and ED element.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    why should I tell you?
    Posts
    914

    Default Re: 24/2.8D or 24-85(G or D) on D700?

    Quote Originally Posted by wdEvA View Post
    the choice is rather straight-forward.

    if you need the range from 25mm-85mm, go with the zoom lens
    if you don't, go with the prime for better IQ, and have a lighter lens.

    the 24-85G though does not have the larger aperture of the 24-85D, but has better IQ, and ED element.
    that's why I am in dilemma,I need better IQ,read the review,
    found out that 24-85D is soft around corner,while 24-85G has smaller aperture,
    the 24/2.8D seem quite suitable for me,but is that worth to get a prime with only f/2.8?

  4. #4
    Senior Member cichlid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S'pore
    Posts
    5,060

    Default Re: 24/2.8D or 24-85(G or D) on D700?

    There is a 24-85mm that starts from f2.8, but i don't know about the IQ when compared to the prime.

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/2485afs.htm

  5. #5
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 24/2.8D or 24-85(G or D) on D700?

    Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    There is a 24-85mm that starts from f2.8, but i don't know about the IQ when compared to the prime.

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/2485afs.htm
    That is the D version that TS was talking about.

  6. #6
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 24/2.8D or 24-85(G or D) on D700?

    Quote Originally Posted by dc01572 View Post
    that's why I am in dilemma,I need better IQ,read the review,
    found out that 24-85D is soft around corner,while 24-85G has smaller aperture,
    the 24/2.8D seem quite suitable for me,but is that worth to get a prime with only f/2.8?
    There is the Sigma 24/1.8 that you can consider.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...-on-Nikon-D700

  7. #7
    Senior Member cichlid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S'pore
    Posts
    5,060

    Default Re: 24/2.8D or 24-85(G or D) on D700?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    That is the D version that TS was talking about.
    Oh ok, then I recommend the Sigma 24mm f1.8 too.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    why should I tell you?
    Posts
    914

    Default Re: 24/2.8D or 24-85(G or D) on D700?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    There is the Sigma 24/1.8 that you can consider.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...-on-Nikon-D700
    Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    Oh ok, then I recommend the Sigma 24mm f1.8 too.
    seem quite nice to me,but I worry about the sigma back focus issue...
    is the D700 AF adjustment system able to correct the focus issue?
    I just jump ship from Canon,not sure about the ability of this function yet.

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dc01572

    seem quite nice to me,but I worry about the sigma back focus issue...
    is the D700 AF adjustment system able to correct the focus issue?
    I just jump ship from Canon,not sure about the ability of this function yet.
    No problems with d700. My copy is calibrated to the D300s. On my d700 I just go into AF fine tune, set it and forget it.

    Btw, canon also offers AF fine tune in the higher end models.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    why should I tell you?
    Posts
    914

    Default Re: 24/2.8D or 24-85(G or D) on D700?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    No problems with d700. My copy is calibrated to the D300s. On my d700 I just go into AF fine tune, set it and forget it.

    Btw, canon also offers AF fine tune in the higher end models.
    yup,Canon offer similar function too,
    if D700 fine tune able to correct the focus issue,
    seem like Siggy is a good choice for me,
    made up my mind and get a Siggy,
    thanks to all who replied!

  11. #11

    Default Re: 24/2.8D or 24-85(G or D) on D700?

    if you get the sigma, are u gonna get it new?
    if i'm not wrong, focusing calibration for sigma is free during warranty

  12. #12

    Default Re: 24/2.8D or 24-85(G or D) on D700?

    if you get the sigma, are u gonna get it new?
    if i'm not wrong, focusing calibration for sigma is free during warranty

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •