Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567

Thread: What is your answer?

Default Re: What is your answer?

the purpose of a forum is to have an open discussion and frank exchange of views. as such, disagreements happens.

i'm sure we all think sufficiently before commiting thoughts to keystroke. implying otherwise simply means that we do not respect the diverse views being shared.

nobody's getting paid to contribute here and there are no prizes for winning an argument. the only incentive we have is enjoy the company by sharing openly, raising an alternative view, and in some cases, correcting an errorneous understanding, thus making the body of knowledge richer.

imo, it will be best if you can just stop replying to it any longer.

to cease fire. The more you reply the worse it becomes and it defeats the whole purpose.

my 2cents.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineX View Post
    imo, it will be best if you can just stop replying to it any longer.

to cease fire. The more you reply the worse it becomes and it defeats the whole purpose.

my 2cents.

Canon Nikon users won't ask you "Why use pentax?" when you shoot in the rain without any protection on your Pentax Weather-sealed camera while they try to shoot and hold umbrella at the same time. :-)

Normally my answer to such question is: "Pentax has the features that I need and want without breaking my bank. hehe"
    Aaron Neo | flickr

truth be told pre kr,k5 era pentax dslr had nothing to complete with nikon and canon at entry level onward for low light capability, af speed and accuracy it more of a family orientated camera than a work oriental camera .
    the only reason why yr colleagues or passerbys avoid confrontation with the hardcore olympus,pentax ,sony users why used XXXX brand instead of C and N is either they are polite enough to leave it as it is or they feel intimidated...lol
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

Quote Originally Posted by eow View Post
    truth be told pre kr,k5 era pentax dslr had nothing to complete with nikon and canon at entry level onward for low light capability, af speed and accuracy it more of a family orientated camera than a work oriental camera .
    the only reason why yr colleagues or passerbys avoid confrontation with the hardcore olympus,pentax ,sony users why used XXXX brand instead of C and N is either they are polite enough to leave it as it is or they feel intimidated...lol
    so what criteria are needed to classify a camera as family oriented or work oriented? AF? sensor? viewfinder?

few years ago, while AF wasn't there yet, people were able to use manual focus film camera for work. no problem. are u saying people in today era moving faster than they were used to be few decades ago? or photographers nowadays don't have good eyes and fast hand anymore to capture the moment? what you want to shoot actually? bullets?

camera is just a sketchpad, don't be so proud of it and tell people you can shoot only your family with your camera. i'm pissed off.

excues me, i'm using a KX(my first DSLR) which is a pre kr pentax DSLR, and i have taken up paid assignment in SG, China, HK and is going HK again next for photo assignment again.
    so how are you saying Kx is not a work oriental camera?
    btw, my client are happy enough with my work to engage me again.

oriental? C, N, P is all made in japan, so they are all oriental camera that work no?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=orientated
    Last edited by skybala; 13th April 2011 at 01:12 PM.

Truth be told that most C and N users had no experience of using Pentax cameras, so they mostly assume. And when when one assumes, you know what happens.
    Home is where the heart is.

Quote Originally Posted by one952 View Post
    excues me, i'm using a KX(my first DSLR) which is a pre kr pentax DSLR, and i have taken up paid assignment in SG, China, HK and is going HK again next for photo assignment again.
    2 things to say about that:

1) skills matters: you're maximising the use of your equipment and given the relatively low cost of a K-X, you've probably paid off the cost of your K-X already

2) context matters: its good enough for most needs. web graphics, basic print, its fine. but if your client needs to print high-res, big-sized posters, invest in a 645D

relax relax just be more open up
    I had used the pentax kx , the minolta km5d and the olympus e420 for wedding assigments before.Had friend even using sony a200 for magazine fashion shoot. Imho the C N S when come to shooting more challenging situation are definitely still a better camera.

I agree some, disagree some.
    Low light capability at enthusiast level was fine. NR just had to be done off camera.
    AF accuracy, don't think there is substantial proof anywhere of whoever being better. In fact we see compliants and boasts of being better on all camps.
    AF speed, I'd agree that its adequate but not very fast and at times indicisive (PRE K5/Kr).
    The only genre that makes AF speed critical is sports. This is an area where fastest AF wil be a big benefit (and potential big money as well). Not in S'pore though
    In other genres, people have used their cameras w/o faster AF; MF even..... (eg. weddings).
    The photographer makes the most difference in most cases.

This guy shoots for international magazines with a K20D and photos from a K20D make it to magazines like Harpers Bazzar.
    Not good enough for work?
    http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/category/bkblog/
    Think the Hassablads, Mamiyas, Pentax 645, etc MF film cameras were not good enough for work either
    Last edited by pinholecam; 13th April 2011 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by one952 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    I agree some, disagree some.
    Low light capability at enthusiast level was fine. NR just had to be done off camera.
    AF accuracy, don't think there is substantial proof anywhere of whoever being better. In fact we see compliants and boasts of being better on all camps.
    AF speed, I'd agree that its adequate but not very fast and at times indicisive.
    The only genre that makes AF speed critical is sports. This is an area where fastest AF wil be a big benefit (and potential big money as well). Not in S'pore though
    In other genres, people have used their cameras w/o faster AF; MF even..... (eg. weddings).
    The photographer makes the most difference in most cases.

This guy shoots for international magazines with a K20D and photos from a K20D make it to magazines like Harpers Bazzar.
    Not good enough for work?
    http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/category/bkblog/
    Think the Hassablads, Mamiyas, Pentax 645, etc MF film cameras were not good enough for work either
    fyi i'm a fan of benjamin, had mentioned got friend shoot with a200 for fashion magazine and had done shooting in near pitch darkness shooting relying only on manual focusing... frustrated the canon and nikon users beside me using the d300 and the 50D when they see the sharpness and the unerringly accuracy of how i manage to get the shots with my e420 when they can't do with their better equipment. it all abt technique being used. while it fun poking fun at the nikon and the canon people , there are still a lot of very capable photogs from the other side... who might once a pentax, minolta or olympus users that just move on

If I'm not wrong, one of the nature photography magazines regularly highlights K-7 as a good choice for nature shooters.

I'm not sure where you're coming from, but happily enough, not every professional photographer shoots events and weddings ONLY. There are other things available in the market. Of course, in Singapore, these markets are not so developed outside of events/wedding genre. That is of course, if it is agreeable that Pentax had issues with low light focusing, which I won't really deny if we are to be objective.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest View Post
    so what criteria are needed to classify a camera as family oriented or work oriented? AF? sensor? viewfinder?
    You must be able to see the VF information in bright light... Sunlight... Sorry, couldn't resist the jibe, it still tickles me.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    You must be able to see the VF information in bright light... Sunlight... Sorry, couldn't resist the jibe, it still tickles me.
    ................. .............

I just tell them i like my K-5 in silver and with matching silver lens =p

To be honest, when i started with K-X, 2 of my closer friends did ask me why i choose pentax but they asked out of geniune concern so i appreciate that. They were of the view that Pentax seems to be quite limited in terms of lens/accessories and distribution network.

When i sold my k-x and plonked 5k plus at 1 go for a k-5 with 3 silver FAs, they were amazed again, to them, i could have gotten a brand new 5dm2 with L lens even. But i have not look back since i made my purchase, the reason i am quite sure of my choice is that Pentax design philosophy resonate with me closely. I had played with 5dm2 and nikon d300 and I found them to be too big and heavy esp with all the L or 2.8 zoom lens attached.

I actually prefer a tight and compact setup with a few quality prime. So that pretty much reinforce my buying decision, the fact that K-5 silver looks so much better was just as bonus point.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567