Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 103

Thread: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

  1. #81
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by wasak2000 View Post
    never did i mention forgoing technology altogether only challenged people would think that the point i was trying to make is one of practicality..
    creativity can also be making do with what is practical and not relying on what your wallet can afford when there are obvious cheaper alternatives
    anyway this has gone long enough lets just agree to disagree... peace...
    Cheaper alternatives = more work, more manual, slower.
    More expensive alternative = less work, more auto, faster.

    You can also meter manually, why use light meter? and pay for it? You can keep adjusting it till you get it correct on the LCD. It is a cheaper alternative and more practical.
    You can also focus manually, why use auto focus? and pay for it? You can use your hands to focus. It is a cheaper alternative and more practical.
    So according to you, creativity is making do with less. Why not be more creative, and stop using light meters or autofocus all together.
    It is the same damn line of thought. Don't act all holy on one thing and say it is different on others. They are the same. Everyone has a budget, so everyone has to balance their budget and the tools they are willing to pay for. That is what practicality is all about. Nothing to do with being a fanboy or being overly rich.

    If one thing doesn't work for you because you cannot fit it into your budget, it is fine. Nothing wrong with going with a cheaper alternative and doing more manual work to get there. But turning around to say it is fanboyism or for rich people only is extremely immature and devoid of rational thinking. And only goes to show how ignorant and emotionally challenged one can be when sprouting such nonsense.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 12th April 2011 at 07:25 AM.

  2. #82

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    oh no.. i use a sony flash, does that make me a sony fan boy too? I just posted on CS, i'm a cs fan boy..

    with all due respect to people who use third-party flashes and their flashes, I've tried one flash, which a couple of shops claim to be similar to HVL-F58AM flash, but the power and functions were nothing near. True, you pay half the flast for that particular sun something flash, but i feel it was only half the power as well.

    funny it seems like why would some people insist that others buy the same camera they are using? is it to sell them the camera at buy/sell section later? lol

    Anyway, J-YJX, Nikon has announced the D5100. You want to hold your horses and see see?
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

  3. #83
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Anyway, J-YJX, Nikon has announced the D5100. You want to hold your horses and see see?
    hehehe but I reckon that D5100 (kit) will be >$1K in the near future at least, making it too expensive for a newbie on a budget.
    For a sub-$1K DSLR, I personally (this is just my 2c) wouldn't go for a Nikon entry-level model, even though I'm a huge fan of the way their cameras are designed for ergonomics.
    My vote goes to the K-r.
    Exploring! :)

  4. #84
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra

    hehehe but I reckon that D5100 (kit) will be >$1K in the near future at least, making it too expensive for a newbie on a budget.
    For a sub-$1K DSLR, I personally (this is just my 2c) wouldn't go for a Nikon entry-level model, even though I'm a huge fan of the way their cameras are designed for ergonomics.
    My vote goes to the K-r.
    Or a used d90. They are excellent value buys now.

  5. #85
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Or a used d90. They are excellent value buys now.

    so cheap...
    Exploring! :)

  6. #86

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    yeah D90. even a D300s is good value now, with more advanced features, got automated lighstand positioning VIA CLS... hahahahah......
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

  7. #87

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    hehehe but I reckon that D5100 (kit) will be >$1K in the near future at least, making it too expensive for a newbie on a budget.
    For a sub-$1K DSLR, I personally (this is just my 2c) wouldn't go for a Nikon entry-level model, even though I'm a huge fan of the way their cameras are designed for ergonomics.
    My vote goes to the K-r.
    I agree with this. I shot on a D5000 for 2 years, and while the controls are pretty decent, I'd recommend a Canon or Pentax or Sony DSLR/DSLT for entry level cameras. Nikon has left out several important features in their entry level DSLRs, like flash high speed sync and compatibility with cheap AF-D lenses, essentially eroding the price benefit you get from getting an entry level camera.

    A good starter kit for a Canon system would be a Canon 550D/600D (600D can trigger flashes wirelessly) and a 18-55 and a 50/1.8. With the Nikon system, you are forced to go for the 35/1.8 - which may be better than the 50 in terms of sharpness, but is also twice the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Or a used d90. They are excellent value buys now.
    Agreed. However I think the TS mentioned he does not have anyone around him who knows how to check cameras, so that is not really an option for him.

  8. #88
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam
    Agreed. However I think the TS mentioned he does not have anyone around him who knows how to check cameras, so that is not really an option for him.
    Well one of the trustworthy bros here is selling his d90. Or for a fee of a chicken rice or Macdonalds, I am sure many people here wouldn't mind helping.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 12th April 2011 at 10:48 AM.

  9. #89
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    I agree with this. I shot on a D5000 for 2 years, and while the controls are pretty decent, I'd recommend a Canon or Pentax or Sony DSLR/DSLT for entry level cameras. Nikon has left out several important features in their entry level DSLRs, like flash high speed sync and compatibility with cheap AF-D lenses, essentially eroding the price benefit you get from getting an entry level camera.

    A good starter kit for a Canon system would be a Canon 550D/600D (600D can trigger flashes wirelessly) and a 18-55 and a 50/1.8. With the Nikon system, you are forced to go for the 35/1.8 - which may be better than the 50 in terms of sharpness, but is also twice the price.
    There is still a sizeable chunk of the market that just wants "better performance than a PnS", so I think Nikon has managed to garner quite a lot of sales from this segment with their entry models. For every newbie DSLR owner who learns more and then decides to upgrade, there are probably 4 or 5 more "PnS upgraders" like those I mentioned earlier. hehehe I think this segment is here to stay for at least a while.
    Exploring! :)

  10. #90

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    hehehe but I reckon that D5100 (kit) will be >$1K in the near future at least, making it too expensive for a newbie on a budget.
    For a sub-$1K DSLR, I personally (this is just my 2c) wouldn't go for a Nikon entry-level model, even though I'm a huge fan of the way their cameras are designed for ergonomics.
    My vote goes to the K-r.
    When i first shopped around for my first dslr, a friend told me about this too. Some probably thought if they get a nikon entry level, they can always upgrade the dslr and keep the acessories, like some lenses, remote, filters, flash etc..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

  11. #91
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic

    When i first shopped around for my first dslr, a friend told me about this too. Some probably thought if they get a nikon entry level, they can always upgrade the dslr and keep the acessories, like some lenses, remote, filters, flash etc..
    Thing is with lower end bodies you are restricted to afs lenses which cost comparatively a lot more. And some accessories are not shared among the models. Like IR remotes will work up till d7000, but d300 and above use a different connector. DX and FX uses different viewfinder mounts.

  12. #92
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

    Thing is with lower end bodies you are restricted to afs lenses which cost comparatively a lot more. And some accessories are not shared among the models. Like IR remotes will work up till d7000, but d300 and above use a different connector. DX and FX uses different viewfinder mounts.
    IR remote is a weird breed, only D60, D5000, D5100, D90 & D7000. Not the lowest and not the higher and highest models.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  13. #93
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye

    IR remote is a weird breed, only D60, D5000, D5100, D90 & D7000. Not the lowest and not the higher and highest models.
    I remember it even worked for d40x and d40. So no IR for d3k and d3100? Wow

  14. #94

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I remember it even worked for d40x and d40. So no IR for d3k and d3100? Wow
    Ahahah Nikon doing weird stuff again

  15. #95

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I remember it even worked for d40x and d40. So no IR for d3k and d3100? Wow
    whoa thanks ah..i saw d3k and i unsuspectingly thought is D3.. lol

    this thread is seriously going OT.. after 5 pages worth of posts, dunno TS have an idea of wad to get anot.. lol
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

  16. #96

    Default

    Guess he will give up photography and go fishing instead.

  17. #97

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    whoa thanks ah..i saw d3k and i unsuspectingly thought is D3.. lol

    this thread is seriously going OT.. after 5 pages worth of posts, dunno TS have an idea of wad to get anot.. lol
    That's why we keep saying he should make up his own mind and be an adult and learn to spend his own money...

    It's a BAD idea to ask the "old birds" for advice, because we are usually the ones who will insist you make up your own mind, do your own research and buy the camera that suits you the best, not us. Heck, I'd say Hassleblad. :P

    Asking fellow newbies will let you happily wallow in the ad-driven brand mentality.
    Alpha

  18. #98

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    That's why we keep saying he should make up his own mind and be an adult and learn to spend his own money...

    It's a BAD idea to ask the "old birds" for advice, because we are usually the ones who will insist you make up your own mind, do your own research and buy the camera that suits you the best, not us. Heck, I'd say Hassleblad. :P

    Asking fellow newbies will let you happily wallow in the ad-driven brand mentality.
    yea.. agreed. i think the best way is still going down to the store and test out the damn camera you're looking at..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

  19. #99
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    If u go Alan photo, look for David sau. Not a big fan of the shop but David gives the best customer service.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  20. #100

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    LOL there is one whole chunk of information talking about CSL system which had me gone blurred.. seriously do not understand...

    today went to to courts and take alook, try both 550D and D3100, be it the touch, feel and the grip, seems to me 550D is better but when i look at the menu buttons in terms of ergonomics D3100 is better.. as 550D is slightly bigger than D3100 the grip seems to better.Too bad i did not try the set with battery on.. so did not get the chance to really try it.

    Anyway I had make some enquiries from the shops that mentioned in CS and receive some quotations :

    Due to obvious reasons, not going to list the shop name and $.

    Shop 1

    1) Canon EOS550D with 18-55 kit I $1XXX
    Free: 8 GB, bag and user guide

    2) Canon EOS550D with 18-135 Kit II @ $1XXX, $300 more than above
    Free: 8 GB, bag and user guide

    Purchase with purchase: EFS 55-250 lens @ $2XX
    Item 1 and 2 are complete with: rechargeable battery, strap, USB and AV Cables, and software

    Nikon D3100 with 18-55 kit @ $8xx
    Complete with:
    Charger, rechargeable battery, strap and software
    Free: 8 GB, bag, tripod and card reader.

    Shop 2

    Nikon D3100 Kit (18-55VR) - S$8XX

    Comes with 8 GB card, card reader, bag and tripod

    No Canon 550D

    Shop 3

    Brand: Nikon
    Model: D3100 w 18-55mm kit-- $8XX
    Free 8g card, 3 section tripod, Nikon bag, card reader, cleaning kit

    Canon EOS 550d kit with 18-55mms lens- $1XXX slight lower then 1st shop
    Free 8GB card, Bag, guide book from agent
    Free lcd protector worth $13.50 and cleaning kit worth $10 from ms color
    Plus Register online will get 15 month agent warranty.

    Entitle to buy Canon EFS 55-250mm is lens @$2xx

    Just to check do you all think that I had actually tried to compare between 1 higher end entry level 550D with a lower end entry level D3100?

    Base on experience, do you all think that the lens they refering comes with IS/VR?

    I might just go to one of the shop, but due to some bad experience(buying of other electronic product) from such retail shop(unlike courts/gain city), really scare that they will come up with some kuku reason and tell you it is a need to buy this and that.And they will just treat me as carrot head and chop.

    As you all see, only the 1st shop tell me exactly what comes with it, and what is free. The rest did not mention clearly, so i dont really know what are the items come from the SET ( package).

    So will require all bros here to tell me,
    1. What exactly are (if there is) the extra things i really NEED.
    2. What things to check on the spot when i get the camera?
    3 Any usual or unusual things i need to look out for?
    4. Oh ya notice that they give card reader?! is there a need? Wanted to see if I can trade it off.. lol

    * i was thinking to get extra items like,extra battery,blower, cloth ( whatever cleaning items that is require for the cam), maybe additional SD card.

    *Went to Courts @ orchard, apparently there is a small note on their cameras counter that for DSLR purchase, there is foc extra batt, 16 sd card,tripod,UV filter, cleaning kit( ithink) cant remember.

    thanks in advance!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •