Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 103

Thread: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang, Singapore, Sing
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    The guide mode on the Nikon entry level bodies are confusing and counter-intuitive, actually. They have weird symbols and funny language in the tips. I find aperture priority easier to use than guide mode.

    Also, the 35mm f1.8 DX lens is currently very low on stock, resulting in ridiculously high prices (US$280+/290). I would suggest holding off the purchase of that unless you can find a shop which has stock of it and still isn't selling it at ridiculously high prices. Also, for flash, if you are a newbie, I would suggest getting an original brand one (Canon or Nikon) for the ease of use and the feature set. Until you have learnt how to master and control light, sticking to the original brand flash is always a better idea.

    you are missing the idea.... its a choice between getting the more expensive Canon 550d and the Nikon D3100 my recommendation was to go for the cheaper option and use the money saved to get some extra lens and accessories


    anyway since you brought it up

    The guide mode is better than no guide at all.... its designed to be an idiot proof way to help newbies transition into DSLRs ( if you are confused by it then i guess its not really that idiot proof)

    as for the 35mm 1.8 its worth every penny you spend on it trust me on this ever since i got it its been on my camera 90% of the time... there is a reason its getting expensive cause its cheap for the performance and everybody wants it if you don't have it yet get it the first chance you get it even at 500sg I believe its still worth it... you spend a 1500sg for your camera body and you think twice about getting this lens?

    as for the flash a Yongnuo 467 with iTTL cost only 130sg compared to a Nikon SB600 which cost 450sg what feature set on the SB 600 is worth the 300sg price difference? do your research and don't just blindly subscribe to whatever marketing gimmick Nikon feeds you...
    Last edited by wasak2000; 10th April 2011 at 11:37 PM.
    D3100

  2. #42

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    Ever considered the A33? i'm having fun..
    Hi Prince,

    Never thought of that, will take a look on their DSLR. I think theirs is a diff technology right? compare to canon and nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    For sony take a look at the SLT series. I believe that sony slt series is within your budget. Pentax KR is abt 750 with kit lens 18-55. Dual kit lens still abt 1k
    Skystrike, will check it out as well!
    ---------------------------------
    Hmm have been searching for good articles on lenses that explain the functionality and on the usage as I wanted to read more on it.. bros care to share if there is good website out there for this?

  3. #43
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by J-YJX
    Hi Prince,

    Never thought of that, will take a look on their DSLR. I think theirs is a diff technology right? compare to canon and nikon
    Technically it's called a DSLT (i think).
    The 'R' in DSLR means 'reflex', which is represented by the mirror and prism setup in the viewfinder.
    With the DSLT, the mirror is slightly translucent (hence the 'T') and the prism is removed.



    Quote Originally Posted by J-YJX
    Hmm have been searching for good articles on lenses that explain the functionality and on the usage as I wanted to read more on it.. bros care to share if there is good website out there for this?
    Can check out Cambridge In Color
    Exploring! :)

  4. #44

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by J-YJX View Post
    Hi Prince,

    Never thought of that, will take a look on their DSLR. I think theirs is a diff technology right? compare to canon and nikon
    Yeah, with the A33 and A55, Sony started using DSLT technology - basically removing the mirror (so no mirror slap, less moving parts), and using an EVF (so it's like full time live view). You also get built-in antishake and full-speed AF in live view and video (Canon and Nikon don't have).

    If you prefer the "regular" optical viewfinder, you could go for a second-hand A550. Not bad at all, and you still have an articulating LCD and full-speed AF in live view.
    Alpha

  5. #45

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by wasak2000 View Post
    you are missing the idea.... its a choice between getting the more expensive Canon 550d and the Nikon D3100 my recommendation was to go for the cheaper option and use the money saved to get some extra lens and accessories


    anyway since you brought it up

    The guide mode is better than no guide at all.... its designed to be an idiot proof way to help newbies transition into DSLRs ( if you are confused by it then i guess its not really that idiot proof)

    as for the 35mm 1.8 its worth every penny you spend on it trust me on this ever since i got it its been on my camera 90% of the time... there is a reason its getting expensive cause its cheap for the performance and everybody wants it if you don't have it yet get it the first chance you get it even at 500sg I believe its still worth it... you spend a 1500sg for your camera body and you think twice about getting this lens?

    as for the flash a Yongnuo 467 with iTTL cost only 130sg compared to a Nikon SB600 which cost 450sg what feature set on the SB 600 is worth the 300sg price difference? do your research and don't just blindly subscribe to whatever marketing gimmick Nikon feeds you...
    The 35mm f1.8 is getting expensive because of the shortage and the general increase in raw material cost. Getting it at first chance even if it cost $500? Wow if I open a shop I wish you are my regular customer, fresh carrot to chop every time you come in

  6. #46
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by wasak2000 View Post
    you are missing the idea.... its a choice between getting the more expensive Canon 550d and the Nikon D3100 my recommendation was to go for the cheaper option and use the money saved to get some extra lens and accessories


    anyway since you brought it up

    The guide mode is better than no guide at all.... its designed to be an idiot proof way to help newbies transition into DSLRs ( if you are confused by it then i guess its not really that idiot proof)

    as for the 35mm 1.8 its worth every penny you spend on it trust me on this ever since i got it its been on my camera 90% of the time... there is a reason its getting expensive cause its cheap for the performance and everybody wants it if you don't have it yet get it the first chance you get it even at 500sg I believe its still worth it... you spend a 1500sg for your camera body and you think twice about getting this lens?

    as for the flash a Yongnuo 467 with iTTL cost only 130sg compared to a Nikon SB600 which cost 450sg what feature set on the SB 600 is worth the 300sg price difference? do your research and don't just blindly subscribe to whatever marketing gimmick Nikon feeds you...
    The SB600 costs around 360 when available. And at discount periods its price was 299. What feature set is worth that difference in price? Ability to fire iTTL remotely as a slave is one reason. And that in itself is already worth the $200 difference. Plus you get FP high speed sync, BL (balanced light) mode fill, and reliability in terms of flash exposure, and tone of flash light.

    The 35/1.8 is getting expensive only because there is a shortage of stock in Singapore. It can be bought in China for around SGD $260 brand new.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 11th April 2011 at 04:06 AM.

  7. #47

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    The SB600 costs around 360 when available. And at discount periods its price was 299. What feature set is worth that difference in price? Ability to fire iTTL remotely as a slave is one reason. And that in itself is already worth the $200 difference. Plus you get FP high speed sync, BL (balanced light) mode fill, and reliability in terms of flash exposure, and tone of flash light.

    The 35/1.8 is getting expensive only because there is a shortage of stock in Singapore. It can be bought in China for around SGD $260 brand new.
    Yup, I was trying to tell him to hold off the purchase of the 35/1.8 till the price gets back down, when stocks start arriving again. I'm not telling him to not get the 35/1.8 altogether.

    Either way, I cannot give a good recommendation to anyone until I know their style of shooting, I wouldn't recommend getting a lens just because people say it's good/sharp etc. I personally prefer zooms, and no matter how good the image quality of a prime is, I will still prefer a zoom to a prime. That may change in the future, but I will say that if I get a 35/1.8 now, I would probably chuck it in the dry cabinet and use my zoom instead.

    A third party flash also has TTL, sure, but not the feature set of a SB-600, like what daredevil mentioned. The TTL-BL feature is very useful for fill flash. Being a CLS slave itself is already worth the difference, because if I wanted to use my flash off-camera on a light stand, I can just adjust the flash power from my camera body. For your Yongnuo flash, you need to adjust your flash power on the flash itself (meaning you have to adjust your light stand, adjust flash power, and put it back up again). Moreover, you need radio triggers to trigger them, which do not cost much if you get the cheap China knock offs which I think work pretty decently, but pocket wizards cost a lot more than the difference between a Nikon flash and a third party flash.

  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang, Singapore, Sing
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    The SB600 costs around 360 when available. And at discount periods its price was 299. What feature set is worth that difference in price? Ability to fire iTTL remotely as a slave is one reason. And that in itself is already worth the $200 difference. Plus you get FP high speed sync, BL (balanced light) mode fill, and reliability in terms of flash exposure, and tone of flash light.

    The 35/1.8 is getting expensive only because there is a shortage of stock in Singapore. It can be bought in China for around SGD $260 brand new.


    (Ability to fire iTTL remotely as a slave is one reason. And that in itself is already worth the $200 difference)
    you cant do that on a Nikon D3100 you need SB900 or the SB800 as a commander

    (The 35/1.8 is getting expensive only because there is a shortage of stock in Singapore. It can be bought in China for around SGD $260 brand new)
    why is there a shortage? because everyone wants one....
    D3100

  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang, Singapore, Sing
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    The SB600 costs around 360 when available. And at discount periods its price was 299. What feature set is worth that difference in price? Ability to fire iTTL remotely as a slave is one reason. And that in itself is already worth the $200 difference. Plus you get FP high speed sync, BL (balanced light) mode fill, and reliability in terms of flash exposure, and tone of flash light.

    The 35/1.8 is getting expensive only because there is a shortage of stock in Singapore. It can be bought in China for around SGD $260 brand new.


    (Ability to fire iTTL remotely as a slave is one reason. And that in itself is already worth the $200 difference)
    you cant do that on a Nikon D3100 you need SB900 or the SB800 as a commander

    (The 35/1.8 is getting expensive only because there is a shortage of stock in Singapore. It can be bought in China for around SGD $260 brand new)
    why is there a shortage? because everyone wants one....
    D3100

  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang, Singapore, Sing
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    The SB600 costs around 360 when available. And at discount periods its price was 299. What feature set is worth that difference in price? Ability to fire iTTL remotely as a slave is one reason. And that in itself is already worth the $200 difference. Plus you get FP high speed sync, BL (balanced light) mode fill, and reliability in terms of flash exposure, and tone of flash light.

    The 35/1.8 is getting expensive only because there is a shortage of stock in Singapore. It can be bought in China for around SGD $260 brand new.
    (Ability to fire iTTL remotely as a slave is one reason. And that in itself is already worth the $200 difference)
    you cant do that on a Nikon D3100 you need SB900 or the SB800 as a commander

    (The 35/1.8 is getting expensive only because there is a shortage of stock in Singapore. It can be bought in China for around SGD $260 brand new)
    why is there a shortage? because everyone wants one....
    D3100

  11. #51
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    you made your point
    not necessary to have 3 identical posts to do so
    Exploring! :)

  12. #52

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    you made your point
    not necessary to have 3 identical posts to do so
    It's a bug in CS, it's happened to many users.

  13. #53
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wasak2000

    (Ability to fire iTTL remotely as a slave is one reason. And that in itself is already worth the $200 difference)
    you cant do that on a Nikon D3100 you need SB900 or the SB800 as a commander

    (The 35/1.8 is getting expensive only because there is a shortage of stock in Singapore. It can be bought in China for around SGD $260 brand new)
    why is there a shortage? because everyone wants one....
    Well it is about expandability. When people want to get into strobing, they will usually get more flashes. Even with d3100, that can be easily achieved with a TTL flash cord to a sb900/800 for key and commander and a sb600 as fill or rim on cls slave.

    There are other scenarios. But the keypoint is that having more options are always better then less. Now that the sb600 is replaced by the sb700, it is an even more feature packed flash with ability to be flash commander as well.

    Also the BL mode is very useful when doing ambient and flash light fill.

    Yongnuo flashes are a great value. I would consider it if I am going to do full manual strobing. Get 4-5 units and fire them via china flash trigger and optical slave modes. The problem is when you have a mix of flashes, like when you have a cls set up already, and you want to add a yongnuo flash. You will run into problems.

    Also my experience with china made flashes, even strives like jinbei, is that you really get what you pay for. If in a budget pinch they are great saviors. but at times you get variation in tone from shot to shot, sometimes flash power is not spot on, etc among other issues.

  14. #54
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wasak2000
    why is there a shortage? because everyone wants one....
    Demand is high in SG no doubt. But it is readily available in many countries. No price hike in china or Thailand. In fact, the price went down in china the last couple of months. It was selling for 275-280 sgd in china previously.

    And not everyone wants one. I had one and I sold it after a couple if months. And I know many people using the F2 or F1.4 instead. And seriously, on the dx, the lens that really kick butt is the sigma 30/1.4 and many people are also using the sigma instead.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 11th April 2011 at 11:38 AM.

  15. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang, Singapore, Sing
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Well it is about expandability. When people want to get into strobing, they will usually get more flashes. Even with d3100, that can be easily achieved with a TTL flash cord to a sb900/800 for key and commander and a sb600 as fill or rim on cls slave.

    There are other scenarios. But the keypoint is that having more options are always better then less. Now that the sb600 is replaced by the sb700, it is an even more feature packed flash with ability to be flash commander as well.

    Also the BL mode is very useful when doing ambient and flash light fill.

    Yongnuo flashes are a great value. I would consider it if I am going to do full manual strobing. Get 4-5 units and fire them via china flash trigger and optical slave modes. The problem is when you have a mix of flashes, like when you have a cls set up already, and you want to add a yongnuo flash. You will run into problems.

    Also my experience with china made flashes, even strives like jinbei, is that you really get what you pay for. If in a budget pinch they are great saviors. but at times you get variation in tone from shot to shot, sometimes flash power is not spot on, etc among other issues.
    you are getting ahead of yourselves already.... the TS has stated he has only about 1k budget so forget about the CLS system of Nikon which in my opinion is way overpriced.... only fanboys with too much money and limited imagination use them there are a lot of cheaper alternatives....

    I maintain my opinion that given his budget constraints the D3100 coupled with a third party flash (yongnou or nissin) and an extra lens either the 55-200 or the 35 1.8 would be the way for him to go
    Last edited by wasak2000; 11th April 2011 at 02:20 PM.
    D3100

  16. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Demand is high in SG no doubt. But it is readily available in many countries. No price hike in china or Thailand. In fact, the price went down in china the last couple of months. It was selling for 275-280 sgd in china previously.

    And not everyone wants one. I had one and I sold it after a couple if months. And I know many people using the F2 or F1.4 instead. And seriously, on the dx, the lens that really kick butt is the sigma 30/1.4 and many people are also using the sigma instead.
    Gave up mine too. Use it to fund my Nano Macro lens.

  17. #57

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by wasak2000 View Post
    you are getting ahead of yourselves already.... the TS has stated he has only about 1k budget so forget about the CLS system of Nikon which in my opinion is way overpriced.... only fanboys with too much money and limited imagination use them there are a lot of cheaper alternatives....

    I maintain my opinion that given his budget constraints the D3100 coupled with a third party flash (yongnou or nissin) and an extra lens either the 55-200 or the 35 1.8 would be the way for him to go
    You don't need 5 flashes to use CLS. You just need one. The D3100 does not have a in-built flash commander, but it doesn't mean that the TS will not upgrade his body in the future. When I got a flash for my D5000, I did do my research, and chose the SB-600 over third party alternatives (Nissin Di622 Mk II, Yongnuo flashes, etc.). This is because I know I would upgrade my body in the future - which I did, to a D90, to help me take advantage of the CLS system. I got my 2nd hand D90 at $680 (you just have to hunt a bit and not be so fussy about the condition), a 18-55 VR on B&S goes for $100+, still under $1k. Stretch the budget a bit (not by much), and he can get a 2nd hand SB-600.

    I am not a fanboy, I know that there are alternatives to the CLS system. But they are not equal alternatives. These triggers allow you to trigger your flashes. They don't allow you to change your flash power right from your camera. That makes a huge difference IMO. You may not realise it when you don't have it. But when you have it, you realise you can't live without it. Also, not everyone who swear by the CLS system have limited imagination. In fact, it is quite the contrary. In fact, some people who have limited imagination go for radio poppers just because they can't figure out ways to trigger their flash with CLS, because they don't know how to find places to bounce off the IR light, etc, and believe that they need radio triggers.

    Blindly recommending lenses to people isn't very helpful. I made that mistake by listening to advice from people and reviews. I was told that the 55-200 is a very good lens, very sharp, value for money blah blah blah. I got it, and have used it less than 10 times. I have since sold it away. It is just a lens that does not suit my style of shooting. A 35/1.8 and a 55-200 combo may be perfect for you, but how do you know if that will suit his shooting style? What if he likes to shoot ultra wide? A Tokina 12-24 II or Sigma 10-20 may be a better idea. If he gets a 55-200, he may not use it at all.

    My recommendation is always to use a 18-55 or 18-105 first, see what range you use the most, see if you need/want a faster aperture etc, then decide on what to buy.
    Last edited by brapodam; 11th April 2011 at 02:41 PM.

  18. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang, Singapore, Sing
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    to TS here is my final recommendation

    Nikon D3100 with AFS DX 18-55mm VR = 800sg
    AFS DX 55-200mm VR = 250sg
    YongNuo 467 = 130sg
    AFS 35 1.8 = 320sg

    that setup should set you back around 1500sg but will cover about 90 % of all your needs
    you have 18-200 focal length covered and you will have low light capabilities with the 1.8 aperture of the 35mm
    basically this setup will let you get a sample or taste of what can be done with DSLRs without breaking the bank and you can grow from here...
    Last edited by wasak2000; 11th April 2011 at 04:15 PM.
    D3100

  19. #59
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    i do not have experience with the Canon camera so i will not be able to comment on which is better, i used the D3100 on my trip to japan and it did not let me down, small, light and easy to use.
    you have already seen the images so i will let them speak for itself on what the camera can do.

    it really depends on how far do you intend to go into photography, for some just the kit is all they need

    but 1 thing i can say is "Look at the whole system instead of just the camera"
    my very 1st camera was holding me back with the lack of range in their system
    so i switched to nikon and never looks backed. It has been 20 years since then
    and i am so glad i stayed with Nikon.

  20. #60
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

    hi may i know where to get YongNuo 467? haha
    Lousy de My Flickr

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •