Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

Daredevil's post is accurate. However, I would like to point out something cause some might get the wrong idea.

True - you can't use the previous Canon FD mount lenses on EOS bodies, but any EF mount lens (made since 1987) will work on any Canon EOS body. So you CAN use 'old' lenses with modern EOS bodies.
    Apart from the introduction of EF-S lenses, the mount has remained largely unchanged, thanks to Canon's decision to totally revamp their lens mount at the dawn of the AF era.

Nikon had a huge pro user base back then, so they went a different route, retaining as much compatibility as practical and slowly changing the lenses. The result is a more complicated situation. Although old F-mount lenses will fit on modern bodies, there is a moderately complex table detailing which functions work with which lens/body combinations (some combinations have partial functionality). Generally, higher-end bodies work better with old lenses.
    The newer Nikon lenses are very much like the Canon EF lenses, with full electronic contacts (no mechanical links) and AF motors built into the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

• Canon's AF motors are all built into the lenses. So old Canon lenses like (FD lenses) cannot be used on current Canon camera bodies directly.
    • Some newer Nikon lenses are just like Canon's with the focusing motors built into the lenses. Some Nikon lenses depends on a screw drive motor that is built into the camera body. This is the case so that older Nikon lenses (from 70s till today) can still fit on current day Nikon camera bodies. D3100 is an entry level cam and do not have this in-camera AF motor drive. So it can only AF with lenses with AF motor built in. So only AF-S and AF-I lenses will AF on the D3100. The thing is, there are many AF-D lenses out there which are very good and are a lot cheaper than the AF-S versions. Cam bodies that can AF with AF-D and AF lenses are D90 and above.
    Last edited by Edwin Francis; 10th April 2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Clarification

Default Re: Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

Quote Originally Posted by J-YJX View Post
    2) Thanks for your advise on the bundle, last week got a deal worth $949 Nikon D3100 with 8GB SD card + 16GB SD Card+card reader+PU bag+tripod+dry box+ 1.5 inch digital photoframe.(Gain city it fair @ expo) Though the card reader and the digital photo frame is quite useless. I though it was quite a deal, but i had not done my research well, so i decided not to buy. the 550D got something similar with a extra 3rd party battery. For the tripod part, as due to travelling thats abit inconvenient but i think i understand it is good to have for night scene. Does the lens cleaning kit you mention normally includes in the bundle?
    $949 seems a bit expensive. A friend of mine bought D3100 kit + 8GB SD card + Nikon bag + tripod for ~$800 at Parisilk Holland village. And I came across someone in this forum who had gotten an even better price at Cathay (I think).

I doubt you'll find the digital photoframe and dry box very useful. Dry boxes have a way of requiring attention every few days which can get irritating after sometime. I would suggest buying a cheap dry cabi for ~100$.

The lens cleaning kit should usually be thrown in free of charge. If not you can buy one for ~15$. It will have the blower included. Don't pay more for it. I got taken for a ride the first time I bought one.

If you want a fast lens, the best option for the D3100 is the AF-S 35mm f/1.8. It comes to about 330$. It is very good for it's price. Buy it if you can afford it.

All the best bro.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    If you tried going to John 3:16 you'll find that they'll let you try the cams out, and tell you which one they think will be better for you etc. without the hardsell. They don't force you to buy either so go for it for as long as you like it.
    Not quite true... They tend to push you to Canon because of the higher margins.
    Alpha

I have 2 brands/model in mind - Canon EOS 550D and Nikon D3100, more liking to Canon, due to their exposure in ads, but also understand Nikon is a long time fav among photography fanatics.
    Don't believe the ads... In terms of features/performance for the $$$, Canon is the last right now. :P

Have compare the specs betwen this 2, which EOS 550D will be little more superior. however had also hear reviews that D3100 is a good DSLR for entry level which is easy to use.
    Superior how? Older technology, older sensor, no articulating LCD.

1. Canon EOS 550D vs Nikon D3100, which one suits a newbie like me?
    Both. Heck, the entry-level models from any brand will suit you just fine.

2.What are also the necessary accessories, that i have to get along with it - eg: items for maintenance like cleaning kit,dry box? Is there a "standard" bundled of items that will come with the package?
    You should get a dry cabinet and a blower and a microfibre cloth.

3. Any considerations/information I have to look up? Lenses?
    All brands have all the lenses you would ever need. Do note that for Canon/Nikon you also need to worry about whether the lens has stabilization or not.
    Alpha

Both cameras about the same performance wise don't get distracted by the megapixel count it doesnt really matter... but the Canon 550D is way more expensive...

get the Nikon D3100 it retails at Funan for around 799sg only with 18-55 Kit Lens compared to around 1200sg for the Canon 550d with the money you have left over you can get a sturdy tripod, filters and a third party flash ( yongnuo or nissin ) and if you add a little more you can also get the AFS 55-200mm DX VR lens or the AFS DX 35mm 1.8 lens which cost around 300sg and you also have a guide mode on the D3100 which will help you out if you are starting out with DSLR

IMO the Nikon D3100 is the better value
    D3100

Quote Originally Posted by wasak2000 View Post
    Both cameras about the same performance wise don't get distracted by the megapixel count it doesnt really matter... but the Canon 550D is way more expensive...

get the Nikon D3100 it retails at Funan for around 799sg only with 18-55 Kit Lens compared to around 1200sg for the Canon 550d with the money you have left over you can get a sturdy tripod, filters and a third party flash ( yongnuo or nissin ) and if you add a little more you can also get the AFS 55-200mm DX VR lens or the AFS DX 35mm 1.8 lens which cost around 300sg and you also have a guide mode on the D3100 which will help you out if you are starting out with DSLR

IMO the Nikon D3100 is the better value
    The guide mode on the Nikon entry level bodies are confusing and counter-intuitive, actually. They have weird symbols and funny language in the tips. I find aperture priority easier to use than guide mode.

Also, the 35mm f1.8 DX lens is currently very low on stock, resulting in ridiculously high prices (US$280+/290). I would suggest holding off the purchase of that unless you can find a shop which has stock of it and still isn't selling it at ridiculously high prices. Also, for flash, if you are a newbie, I would suggest getting an original brand one (Canon or Nikon) for the ease of use and the feature set. Until you have learnt how to master and control light, sticking to the original brand flash is always a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Actually both of you have the wrong idea.

AF system is a combination of subsystems.
    1. The AF module will always be in the camera. It deciphers what is in focus or not in focus.
    2. The AF motor is the one driving the lens to reach that focusing distance. (#1 instructs it).
    • Canon's AF motors are all built into the lenses. So old Canon lenses like (FD lenses) cannot be used on current Canon camera bodies directly.
    • Some newer Nikon lenses are just like Canon's with the focusing motors built into the lenses. Some Nikon lenses depends on a screw drive motor that is built into the camera body. This is the case so that older Nikon lenses (from 70s till today) can still fit on current day Nikon camera bodies. D3100 is an entry level cam and do not have this in-camera AF motor drive. So it can only AF with lenses with AF motor built in. So only AF-S and AF-I lenses will AF on the D3100. The thing is, there are many AF-D lenses out there which are very good and are a lot cheaper than the AF-S versions. Cam bodies that can AF with AF-D and AF lenses are D90 and above.

IS = Image stabilization (Canon)
    VR = Vibration Reduction (Nikon)
    Both are the same thing, to reduce instability from hand holding. They have nothing to do with AF system. But both Canon and Nikon have decided to incorporate VR/IS into the lens and not the body.

Pros of having IS/VR in lens: (Nikon, Canon)
    Different lenses of different focal lengths require different amount of VR/IS. Having VR/IS in the lens, the VR mechanism can be tuned to each lens, making it more efficient.

Pros of having IS/VR in camera body: (Sony, Pentax)
    Lenses will be cheaper since the mechanism is now in the camera body. Lenses will also have one less part to break. All lenses can enjoy IS/VR.
    Hi Daredevil,
    Thanks for your detailed advice on the AF,VR/IS issues! Really enligten us

Quote Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
    I feel the only things superior is the heavier body due to using mag alloy(i think) compared to plastic for the D3100.
    But that means the D3100 is lighter......

If u compared kit to kit, the D3100 is about $949(RRP) and the 550D is $1199(RRP).
    So for the $250 in price difference, u can buy a dry cabinet $118, UV Filter $30, pop up flash diffuser $10, hard screen protector $20, maybe an extra battery $25. Faster memory card if u wanna shoot Full HD videos Sandisk Ultra 8GB $25.

Use ur free tripod in the meantime. And then get a flash later on.
    Hope that helps.

FYI....I bought a D3100 2 weeks ago becuz it was the cheapest with Full HD.
    At least this can last me for a couple of years before i upgrade my skills and finally the body.

Cheers !
    Hi Guapo,

Ah huh.. you bought a D3100 !!! how issit so far?! I also thought D3100 to be more economical and i can spend some money on the accessories so the total damage wont be alot. I also hope that the device can last me at least 3 years, before there is really a need to upgrade! where did you buy ur 3100? dmg? what accessories you got?

Quote Originally Posted by panadol88 View Post
    Do you have intentions to upgrade the body after learning the basics of photography in dslr ? If yes , buying a 550D or D3100 might impose a big depreciation on you when you want to sell it off. You might want to consider the second hand market, there are many tempting offers out in the market that is of the same cost and could get you more things (extra lens, cleaning kits, bags etc) out of it.

I did the second hand route when I picked up photography, used the camera quite extensively and upgraded after 2 years. The best part is I don't lose that much of money in terms of depreciation and I learnt a lot more with the extra equipment given through second hand sales.
    thanks panadol.Have not thought that far yet, but i think once I buy the device i will not want to change so soon. Was thinking at least 3 yrs?

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Canon 550D does not use magnesium alloy.

Anyway, I have used both Canon and Nikon systems before and I find Nikon to be more intuitive. But it's a matter of personal preference. I have friends who prefer the controls of a Canon. Try them out yourself.
    Thanks Bradpodam for your advice, there is easy guid mode in D3100. seems like it is built for newbie! The control part is important for me i feel, I should be able to use the device at ease at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    I'm reading 2 books by Michael Freeman - Perfect Exposure and The Photographer's Eye. Hope it helps.

If you are going to take long exposure shots, you'll probably need a shutter release remote, but if you don't have 1, 2 secs timer would do just fine.
    Thanks price photogenic for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by panadol88 View Post
    I have used both as well, I prefer Nikon's command dials which allows most settings to be selected via a sweep of a thumb.
    Hi pandol,
    hmm seems like nikon commands/settings are easy to use for newbie?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    Daredevil's post is accurate. However, I would like to point out something cause some might get the wrong idea.

True - you can't use the previous Canon FD mount lenses on EOS bodies, but any EF mount lens (made since 1987) will work on any Canon EOS body. So you CAN use 'old' lenses with modern EOS bodies.
    Apart from the introduction of EF-S lenses, the mount has remained largely unchanged, thanks to Canon's decision to totally revamp their lens mount at the dawn of the AF era.

Nikon had a huge pro user base back then, so they went a different route, retaining as much compatibility as practical and slowly changing the lenses. The result is a more complicated situation. Although old F-mount lenses will fit on modern bodies, there is a moderately complex table detailing which functions work with which lens/body combinations (some combinations have partial functionality). Generally, higher-end bodies work better with old lenses.
    The newer Nikon lenses are very much like the Canon EF lenses, with full electronic contacts (no mechanical links) and AF motors built into the lens.
    Thanks edwin francis for your input! Digest ! really need to digest! hahha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Don't believe the ads... In terms of features/performance for the $$$, Canon is the last right now. :P

Superior how? Older technology, older sensor, no articulating LCD.

Both. Heck, the entry-level models from any brand will suit you just fine.
    haha.. the canon fan boys aint gonna be very happy =P
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

thanks panadol.Have not thought that far yet, but i think once I buy the device i will not want to change so soon. Was thinking at least 3 yrs?
    I too recommend that you take a second-hand model too..

Thanks Bradpodam for your advice, there is easy guid mode in D3100. seems like it is built for newbie! The control part is important for me i feel, I should be able to use the device at ease at least.

Thanks price photogenic for your advice.
    You're welcome. i hope it helped..
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    I too recommend that you take a second-hand model too..

You're welcome. i hope it helped..
    Certainly you had helped me as well as all the bros here. I have my concerns about 2nd hand models though it is a good way to experiment the camera.

So far seems like D3100 is more economical for me with my limited budget, but would still somemore research before deciding...

while researching, try to explore other brands as well... (e.g. Sony, Pentax etc...)
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Certainly you had helped me as well as all the bros here. I have my concerns about 2nd hand models though it is a good way to experiment the camera.

So far seems like D3100 is more economical for me with my limited budget, but would still somemore research before deciding...
    There is no problem with 2nd hand models. Just that if you haven't bought a 2nd hand camera/lens before, it's good to go with someone who has bought 2nd hand stuff before, and learn how to check the condition of the equipment.

If you are unsure how to check for damage and proper function, maybe avoid the 2nd hand route for peace of mind. Though as brapodam mentioned, if you have a friend who knows what to look for, buying 2nd hand is also my suggested option.

Just curious: do you think you might purchase more lenses in the short-to-medium term?
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    while researching, try to explore other brands as well... (e.g. Sony, Pentax etc...)
    Any model from Sony which is comparable for this 2 within my budget that you can reccomend me? care to share?

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    If you are unsure how to check for damage and proper function, maybe avoid the 2nd hand route for peace of mind. Though as brapodam mentioned, if you have a friend who knows what to look for, buying 2nd hand is also my suggested option.

Just curious: do you think you might purchase more lenses in the short-to-medium term?
    ya i think i am all alone here, so will not consider the 2nd hand route..hmm my intention is not to buy additional lenses in short term cause i think i need more time to experiment the set play with it before i explore in other areas like changing lenses.

Any model from Sony which is comparable for this 2 within my budget that you can reccomend me? care to share?
    Ever considered the A33? i'm having fun..
    Alpha

For sony take a look at the SLT series. I believe that sony slt series is within your budget. Pentax KR is abt 750 with kit lens 18-55. Dual kit lens still abt 1k
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast