Thread: PS Shortcut for "Swap Height & Width"

Default PS Shortcut for "Swap Height & Width"

Been searching for the keyboard shortcut to do this but haven't been able to find any..

Eg.. When u are on the crop tool... the options bar on the top will have width & height.. there doesn't seem to be any way to access it via keyboard..
    Trying to have a shortcut to swap height & width...

This will be a real time saver...

Before someone replies with... "how much time can you save by clicking on 1 button"
    It makes a lot of difference in the workflow when you are editing say 500 pics at a time... which I'm doing now rushing thru the night for a client..

I normally rotate the pic, crop it, and rotate it back. Alt I Alt E 9 or 0.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    I normally rotate the pic, crop it, and rotate it back. Alt I Alt E 9 or 0.
    Good trick which I sometimes use when in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by willyfoo
    Been searching for the keyboard shortcut to do this but haven't been able to find any..

Eg.. When u are on the crop tool... the options bar on the top will have width & height.. there doesn't seem to be any way to access it via keyboard..
    Trying to have a shortcut to swap height & width...

This will be a real time saver...
    Hmm, I tried it. The closest solution I can come up with is create 2 Crop tool presets.

1. width = 300 height = 600
    2. width = 600 height = 300

Next step is to create a action for selecting the preset Crop tool for each of the settings.

Then, you will have 2 actions with each select one of the crop tool presets. With actions you can assign any short cut you want to activate it.

Note : This salution only works when you have a fixed witdh and height that you want to swap.

Hope it help ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by chunger
    Hmm, I tried it. The closest solution I can come up with is create 2 Crop tool presets.

1. width = 300 height = 600
    2. width = 600 height = 300

Next step is to create a action for selecting the preset Crop tool for each of the settings.

Then, you will have 2 actions with each select one of the crop tool presets. With actions you can assign any short cut you want to activate it.

Note : This salution only works when you have a fixed witdh and height that you want to swap.

Hope it help ^_^
    Yes!!! That's it!!!
    You've saved my day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by willyfoo
    Yes!!! That's it!!!
    You've saved my day!!!
    ^_^... Hehe.. just learning and sharing only. Without your prob, I also won't learn something like this.

Yes, thanks for the tip. Great idea!

*sigh* just tried it. Unfortunately PS 4.0 does not support crop tool presets for actions. Oh well.
    Last edited by StreetShooter; 19th August 2004 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    Yes, thanks for the tip. Great idea!

*sigh* just tried it. Unfortunately PS 4.0 does not support crop tool presets for actions. Oh well.
    PS 4 !!!! wow... my first touch on PS is PS 4 also.. but move on very quickly to PS 5 ( which i learn thru everything ) and now PS CS liao.

Anyway, the software just give us unlimited posibilities for our photo.

Photoshop has really evolved to be the professional tool.. I remember using Corel Photopaint even before Photoshop 3.0 became the defacto standard. Since then each version of Photoshop just made things easier for professional work.

I remember the biggest gift was the ability to have text on a seperate layer... (was it PS4 that introduced that?)... yes... prior to the text was burned into the image straight... Those were the times when Kai Power Tools were really popoular... hmm... maybe should start a new thread on this...

[QUOTE=willyfoo]Photoshop has really evolved to be the professional tool.. I remember using Corel Photopaint even before Photoshop 3.0 became the defacto standard. Since then each version of Photoshop just made things easier for professional work.

I jumped from 3.0 to 7.0 - its strange to dip back into 3 and realise what's missing which we now take for granted... which brings me to the Crop width-height "flip". I think you'll find this is a standard button on the crop tool bar in CS (which I just ordered on the Net about 30 mins ago). If you can afford the upgrade - about 150 (I think c. 400 singapore $) go for it.. The new features in the file browser alone make it worth upgrading for (and thats for me with v7 where the file browser was a fantastic development anyway) If anyone is still on v4 they're in for a real treat!!
    Last edited by stroma; 21st August 2004 at 11:50 PM.