Thread: EF 135mm f2L or Ef 85mm on 500D

Default EF 135mm f2L or Ef 85mm on 500D

Hi guys,

I'm getting on one fo those lens for my 500D. Can anyone share pros & cons before i decide to buy in a few weeks time?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by jebond
    Hi guys,

I'm getting on one fo those lens for my 500D. Can anyone share pros & cons before i decide to buy in a few weeks time?

Thanks in advance.
    Depends on what you want to shoot. The 135mm is too long for most studios if you want to shoot full body portraits, the 85mm is more versatile.

Default Re: EF 135mm f2L or Ef 85mm on 500D

im using 500D as well. recently got a 85mm f1.8 and it felt great. Just a bit tighter than 50mm. But 135mm would be really tight unless you are intending to get tight shots. But whats your purpose for getting the lens? To get shots of further distance? You have to know what kind of shots you are looking for. Maybe if you have a 18-200 lens you can gauge for yourself how much difference there is in the focal length.

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Depends on what you want to shoot. The 135mm is too long for most studios if you want to shoot full body portraits, the 85mm is more versatile.
    Agreed... Even in future if you upgrade to FF, 85mm is still pretty verstile.. I love this lens..

135mm also good.. really depends on your needs..

To me it is like comparing apple and orange...each lens has its own purpose, depends on your objective for having each lens. A con to one might be a pro to another, e.g. some say 135 too tight, some say 135 gives better reach. Some may say 85mm lighter more portable to carry some may say 135 heavier so more well balanced for the overall system. Some say 135 has red rubber band more pro though more ex, some say 85mm is value for money.

Conclusion: you just google and decide on your own.
    Suggestion: rent/borrow both to try out.
    Last edited by gundamseed84; 8th April 2011 at 04:30 PM.

im using 500D as well. recently got a 85mm f1.8 and it felt great. Just a bit tighter than 50mm. But 135mm would be really tight unless you are intending to get tight shots. But whats your purpose for getting the lens? To get shots of further distance? You have to know what kind of shots you are looking for. Maybe if you have a 18-200 lens you can gauge for yourself how much difference there is in the focal length.

go with 85mm.

135mm when u upgraded to FF

Thanks for the tips guys.. Well, i'm going for a holiday trip to JKT soon so thinking to take outdoor potraits & streetshots there.

Currently i have only the kit lens 18-55mm. So its time for me to invest at least 1 prime lens for myself

I've read reviews & sample shots for both lenses but honestly i'm eyeing on the 135mm 'L' lens....

Quote Originally Posted by jebond View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys.. Well, i'm going for a holiday trip to JKT soon so thinking to take outdoor potraits & streetshots there.

Currently i have only the kit lens 18-55mm. So its time for me to invest at least 1 prime lens for myself

I've read reviews & sample shots for both lenses but honestly i'm eyeing on the 135mm 'L' lens....

if u shoot outdoor very often, then 135mm is still fine cos u got the space to work on but shooting indoor it is totally unusable.

i had to stand from one end of my office to shoot a group photo of 3-5 colleagues using a 85mm on 450D. so if u are using 135mm u had to stand even further back!

Quote Originally Posted by jebond View Post
    Try to rent a zoom lens that covers up to 135mm or more, then check which focal length works best for you.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79
    go with 85mm.

135mm when u upgraded to FF
    Sound true

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79

if u shoot outdoor very often, then 135mm is still fine cos u got the space to work on but shooting indoor it is totally unusable.

i had to stand from one end of my office to shoot a group photo of 3-5 colleagues using a 85mm on 450D. so if u are using 135mm u had to stand even further back!
    You are right for crop body

Blog Entries

Really depends on the intended use la. Some people like to shoot far far away.

If its for traveling and you can afford for the 135L, I would suggest renting a zoom of that range instead for your trip. After that review your pictures when you are back from the trip and see whether the focal length suited you. Why zoom is because when you are overseas you don't really know what limits you will get and the zoom range will help for sure.

Hi Guys! Just bought the 85mm.... and i'm loooovvviingggg it already! No regrets... Thanks again guys!
    Last edited by jebond; 10th April 2011 at 10:42 PM.