Thread: NKF Charity Shows on TV - Check your phone bills

Blog Entries

Default NKF Charity Shows on TV - Check your phone bills

Last month sitting through the NKF Charity show on 18th July, it brought to light the difficulties faced by some families in Singapore who had children suffering from various forms of terrible diseases and birth defects.

My wife and myself were moved by these stories.

The comperes were asking the TV audience to donate $5 by calling 19001128855 to make the donations. Since $5 was such a small amount and we wanted to play our little bit, we called the number 10 times assuming that each call donated $5 thus donating a total of $50 to charity.

Just checked my phone bill this afternoon and Singtel billed me $25 for EACH call instead. With GST (for donations to a charity ???!!!) I was staring at a bill of close to $300!

A call to Mediacorp and then to NKF said that the numbers with corresponding amounts donated was made ONLY at the beginning at the show. We missed the opening part and tuned in half an hour after the show started. There was NO MORE such breakdowns of donation sums via different 1900 numbers for the rest of the show....only the $25 dollar number was pushed like crazy....without clarifying that it was a $25, 1900 number.

Really hate to say it but we felt that we'd been mislead and almost cheated by NKF. Its going to a good cause and since we could afford the $280 donation, we wont be complaining.

But what about those out there who wanted to donate say $100 or $200 and called this number 20 - 40 times thinking that each was only a $5 donation? ......and whose salaries might not be more than a couple of thousand dollars a month?

Any one of you or your friends/relatives have this problem?

ed
    Last edited by ed9119; 16th August 2004 at 10:41 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Dear Ed "Elvis"

Sometimes it does not pay to be too nice... it would normally be better to donate directly to the charity or the home/insitution of your choice.
    In fact, for such charity events, some organisations should not be even charging admin fees ... then again .. that how it is around here...

the explaination you received sucks... and it does no good for people who are really interested in charity donating w/o any notion of winning prizes (like you) ...

so next time.. just donate directly...

be good

Deregistered

huh?

i give up on all these automated call-in donation methods, i'd rather write a cheque instead to save on the hassle of having electronic horror stories.

but how come each call was 25 dollars? isn't it, a specific line donates a specific amount?

Blog Entries

thanks for the advise Alex (Sputnik)....but I'm also no pure angel so I wont lie and say that I didnt harbor any faint hopes of winning something but still it was a very secondary thing to donating to help these folks.

sehsuan, at the BEGINNIG of the show they claimed to have mentioned the $5 number BUT throughout the entire show only the $25 number was mentioned by the comperes and the flash ads without any indication of the amount. This is very unlike earlier NKF and President's Charity shows where all the different category 1900 numbers were constantly mentioned.

This can only be a one-time gimmick with no long term benefits as it'll turn people off to donating via 1900 numbers. Just dont get the logic of the admin and GST fees too....it basically means I get taxed to donate.....???!!!???
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Ed, I had similar experience, abit of a shocking one off my phonebill...

Called 19001126855 (Twice) and 19001126833 (Once) but the donated amounts do not seem to reflect the amounts printed BOLD on my phonebill. I didn't bother to call them up to verify although I wasn't at all impressed...

Can anyone refresh my failing memory what was the corresponding amount donated by dialling 6833 and 6855??? $5 and $15 respectively???

i am sure the Mediacock compere made an honest mistake when they forgot to indicate that was a $25 number.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119
    ...at the BEGINNIG of the show they claimed to have mentioned the $5 number BUT throughout the entire show only the $25 number was mentioned by the comperes and the flash ads without any indication of the amount. This is very unlike earlier NKF and President's Charity shows where all the different category 1900 numbers were constantly mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by jasphotography
    Ed, I had similar experience, abit of a shocking one off my phonebill...

Called 19001126855 (Twice) and 19001126833 (Once) but the donated amounts do not seem to reflect the amounts printed BOLD on my phonebill. I didn't bother to call them up to verify although I wasn't at all impressed...

Can anyone refresh my failing memory what was the corresponding amount donated by dialling 6833 and 6855??? $5 and $15 respectively???
    http://ch8c.mediacorptv.com/forum/vi...key=1081830534

thanks... so technically/mathematically, my phonebills are correct. paiseh...

19001126855 is equivalent to calling 5 calls.. meaning tt calling this number once allows u to donate 5 x $5.25
    1900-1126868 is to donate $5++, 1900-1126833 is for $15++ while 1900-1126855 is for $25++.
    Didn't realise I was so generous then...

i always avoid donating to NKF as they are already very $$ CASH RICH $$.
    rather donate to other charity org.....

Default NFK Tele Donations

I was also misled into thinking that the "6855" number is a $5 donation as the comperes and celebrities kept repeating without indication that it is a $25 donation.

Intended only to donate $15 but ended up with $75 + whatever.... Can't help thinking about the "ignorant" others who made a lot more calls without knowing it is $25 bucks!

Luckily I did only 3 calls (otherwise outta my budget oreadi)

Guess I will just write a cheque the next time....as suggested by other CSers.

Hope Mediacorp & NKF do somthing about this the next charity campaign!

Just dont get the logic of the admin and GST fees too....it basically means I get taxed to donate.....???!!!???
    i tot this kind of question answer by them long ago.

anyway, this is not donation. it is a lucky draw, becos u can win somthing, that is why there is GST.

Deregistered

the performing artistes also would want the maximum amount of donation to come in for thier effort put in... so that's the reason why. factor in the fact that some of them were breathless etc...

That is the reason, why I don't bother to watch the NKF watch.

They always show you.. tell u, his story, her story, their story.. make u want to cry.. then.. flash all these number and ask u to call more and more...

and these number is always to most expensive one...
    the cheap one only found in newspaper..

I rather spent my money in ren ci then them.....

I thought the oldest number is 6868 and it's always $5, maybe people thought that 6855 means $5.00, I remember they only mention 6855 all along the show, perhaps sometimes saying 6833, and everybody knows it's a $5.00 donation but recently it came up with 2 different numbers and yet they only mention one calls (the is the one call 5times donations number) all the way man. Make me so confuse.

thanks for the advise Alex (Sputnik)....but I'm also no pure angel so I wont lie and say that I didnt harbor any faint hopes of winning something but still it was a very secondary thing to donating to help these folks.

sehsuan, at the BEGINNIG of the show they claimed to have mentioned the $5 number BUT throughout the entire show only the $25 number was mentioned by the comperes and the flash ads without any indication of the amount. This is very unlike earlier NKF and President's Charity shows where all the different category 1900 numbers were constantly mentioned.

This can only be a one-time gimmick with no long term benefits as it'll turn people off to donating via 1900 numbers. Just dont get the logic of the admin and GST fees too....it basically means I get taxed to donate.....???!!!???
    that's how they cheat our hard earned $$$$$ mah!
    telephone companies (singtel i think) even charge $2++ per call.
    mediacock also charge them production fee for the broadcasting, so not all the sum goes to nkf or the homes.....
    Last time my father got kidney problem (now dead), go nkf, they say my father too old, must give up the chance to younger people. F**K those bustard nkf. ...........
    So, NEVER donate to those so call charity shows on tv, go directly to the homes you like, and donate to them.
    Nikon D5000, D70; Nikon 18-55, 18-70, 70-300; Sigma 18-250, 50-500.

Now U all know why many people hate NKF already?
    It's all because of their tactics. I don't know if the confusing numbers are 1 of their tactics, but it sure pays to be more careful next time.
    An NKF spokesman once said, it has 'always been known for its innovative fund-raising methods to sustain its life-saving programmes'.

Why not donate to other charities who may deserve more?