Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clubsnap photo critiques could be better...

[QUOTE=White Balance]Hi jbma,

How is your Capture one going on so far ? Hope u still remember me ? Yes, I am the one who "helped" (u know what I mean) u long ago when u ask about the program. * I changed my nick.

Hi White Balance (formerly DF). Of course I remember you. I will never forget your help wink wink. I enjoyed the program so much thanks to you. Now since Photoshop CS is out and it can read RAW file I use it less. But it's always there for some special purpose. Thanks Bro.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by student
    I think the biggest hindrance to constructive critiques and advice is the level of maturity of members in this forum.

Critiques, opinions, comments, advice, are subjective and personal. People come with different ideas of what works and what do not. Mostly from knowledge gained from experiences and gleaned from serious study. Experiences of others may differ....
    guys and gals...

this is a forum and NOT a panal of critics / experts. imagine submitting your picture to a panal to the equivalent of Dick Lee, Florence Lian, Ken Lim, and Simon Cowell!!!

CS members range in photography skill level from the 35mm beginner to the seasoned expert, but i totally agree with student that the biggest thing is the level of maturity, and i think that most CSers have that maturity and respect for others... all ranging from beginners to the pros.

i see no huge issue on the way people critique others work, be it that it is not necessarily "good" enough, but at least members here are mature enough not to be destructive with their comments. afterall, this is forum for all to share experiences and help each other improve in our photography, be it through technical jargong, morale support, or "my 2 cents worth"... it's all good!!

for the forum!!!

Quote Originally Posted by White Balance
    Hi Bro,

No problem. I tried PS CS before and find its lack of many function as compare to Capture one. Thus prefer to use Capture one + PS 7 loh.

* Maybe is my skill not good enough to use PS CS lah
    If I use Capture One then I create Tiff file from the RAW and then use Photoshop to edit the Tiff and save as jpg. Long way I know but better control. Maybe I'm not so good also

Blog Entries

WB! harlo! its u!!!

anyway, here's my RP0.02 on this matter.

as a newbie (yup, despite my posting counter, i'm still a newbie in shooting portrait), i appreciate any constructive comments from anyone - pro or otherwise. even if its just "great shot" comment. if i kenna trash, which is very often, at least i know where i gone wrong and try again.

problem is for newbies like me (or even pros), there are a lot of CSers out there who give trashy comments abt everything and anything, except on shooting techniques. names need not be mentioned here... but, i think most of us know wat i mean. not only do their comments serve no purpose, it can hijack the post and turned it into a flame war. i still remember one CS some time back who was forced to remove his pics becos of ONE inconsiderate CS who turned his post into a multi-paged flame war.

so, pls. IMO, even if its a 1-liner like "great shot" is much appreciated. but, pls leave all banal and trashy talk offline. i think its safe to assume most of us are here to learn and share. if u or i cannot contribute to the discussion in a meaningful way, then dun post.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by White Balance
    Hur. I hope "banal and trashy talk " are not refer to me are u ?

Do agree with u on "us are here to learn and share"
    no lah! i seen some of ur comments b4. at least, to me, it made sense rather than non-sense!
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Hmm.... see the amount of "out of topic" threads going on ? That shouldnt happen.... . At least if OT , also OT around the subject lah...

Well, the general consensus is that, encouragement is good... and critiques, is secondary.

In my opinion, encouragement is good... I like it as well. Encouragement can range from..... "Nice shot, you are awesome" to ... "I like the colours, and the contrast seems just right" ..... to "I like the way the lines flow, it leads to the subject matter. The contrast is spot on, but I do wish for more saturation" .

Constructive comments are very very useful, and people, not only the poster of the photograph can learn from it. I heed comments seriously.

If u are a beginner, and have nothing more than an encouragement to post, by all means go ahead. And of course, look at other comments before your post, and hopefully, there would be one good one.... where u can learn from.

So much smoke. Why not tell yourself what you really need is a thick skin?

Default An example of a photo critique

The setting is all lines - scored concrete paving, shutter slats, the whitewashed corners of buildings, and the hard, slantwise shadows. It is unmistakably Spanish calle, yet a completely abstract, imaginary space. While the street has this harsh geometry, the two boys at opposite edges of the foreground are a soft, uncertain presence. They are inside the camera's focal range, in motion, in enveloping shadow save for a highlight here or there. Visually they are out of place, a pure contrast to the street.

Nonetheless, they complete the scene in which they stand. The blankness of the architecture and the vacuousness of the boy's expression on the right are of a piece. It is as if these children had been slammed against the outer walls of the picture by the intensity of the sun in the center. They appear as prisoners of this severe setting, this unforgiving light. Although the situation is innocuous, the image itself is ambiguous in an unsettling way. Emotions this paradoxical are glimpsed only deep within the soul, where the landscape is symbolic rather than actual. It is the psyche, as much as the street, that speaks to us here.

(Photograph by Henri Cartier-Bresson, critique by Colin Westerbeck)
    Last edited by zaren; 16th August 2004 at 11:50 PM.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus jACK
    guys and gals...

this is a forum and NOT a panal of critics / experts. imagine submitting your picture to a panal to the equivalent of Dick Lee, Florence Lian, Ken Lim, and Simon Cowell!!!

CS members range in photography skill level from the 35mm beginner to the seasoned expert, but i totally agree with student that the biggest thing is the level of maturity, and i think that most CSers have that maturity and respect for others... all ranging from beginners to the pros.

i see no huge issue on the way people critique others work, be it that it is not necessarily "good" enough, but at least members here are mature enough not to be destructive with their comments. afterall, this is forum for all to share experiences and help each other improve in our photography, be it through technical jargong, morale support, or "my 2 cents worth"... it's all good!!

for the forum!!!
    dun think dick, florence and ken are the equivalent of simon.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    ahh.... this is a topic which is dear to jasphotography's heart!
    aha, I hope to take this as a compliment, thank you very much...

I shall not dwell too much in regards to marcwang's concern in this thread but personally when I give comments/critique, I'll give credit/discredit to a picture

1) regardless of who the photographers are
    2) regardless of what has already been said (good or bad) by other members

In other words, I don't just give credit to pictures of photographers who I know as a friend or how reputable or credible the photographers are or were in the past. It all boils down to the picture there and then, nothing else matters or will influence my choice of words/comments.

Obviously, I will also not discredit the work of a newbie or someone using the most humble camera/lens.

It makes me wonder sometimes if people really appreciate what I have said or commented on their pictures...

The setting is all lines - scored concrete paving, shutter slats, the whitewashed corners of buildings, and the hard, slantwise shadows. It is unmistakably Spanish calle, yet a completely abstract, imaginary space. While the street has this harsh geometry, the two boys at opposite edges of the foreground are a soft, uncertain presence. They are inside the camera's focal range, in motion, in enveloping shadow save for a highlight here or there. Visually they are out of place, a pure contrast to the street.

Nonetheless, they complete the scene in which they stand. The blankness of the architecture and the vacuousness of the boy's expression on the right are of a piece. It is as if these children had been slammed against the outer walls of the picture by the intensity of the sun in the center. They appear as prisoners of this severe setting, this unforgiving light. Although the situation is innocuous, the image itself is ambiguous in an unsettling way. Emotions this paradoxical are glimpsed only deep within the soul, where the landscape is symbolic rather than actual. It is the psyche, as much as the street, that speaks to us here.

(Photograph by Henri Cartier-Bresson, critique by Colin Westerbeck)
    How many people here can comment like that? Not a good example zaren.

any comments is good comment. it depend on how you take it.
    it is pointless suggsting what type of comment. if someone already highlighted the technical flaw and such.... what does the next one do.

so, we should leave it as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    How many people here can comment like that? Not a good example zaren.
    well... there's always the *simon cowell* approach...;
    "dreadful picture, can't see the boy's faces which are woefully underexposed and out of focus, the whole picture lacks oomph and excitement. definitely one for the trash bin. the photographer who took this sorry excuse of a photograph should try knitting instead."

well... there's always the *simon cowell* approach...;
    "dreadful picture, can't see the boy's faces which are woefully underexposed and out of focus, the whole picture lacks oomph and excitement. definitely one for the trash bin. the photographer who took this sorry excuse of a photograph should try knitting instead."

*chokes *cough cough

well, I don't mean that~!! lolz sure to get flamed to no end lidat.

Quote Originally Posted by jasphotography
    aha, I hope to take this as a compliment, thank you very much...

I shall not dwell too much in regards to marcwang's concern in this thread but personally when I give comments/critique, I'll give credit/discredit to a picture

1) regardless of who the photographers are
    2) regardless of what has already been said (good or bad) by other members

In other words, I don't just give credit to pictures of photographers who I know as a friend or how reputable or credible the photographers are or were in the past. It all boils down to the picture there and then, nothing else matters or will influence my choice of words/comments.

Obviously, I will also not discredit the work of a newbie or someone using the most humble camera/lens.

It makes me wonder sometimes if people really appreciate what I have said or commented on their pictures...
    oh...i do appreciate ur comments....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12