Page 35 of 197 FirstFirst ... 102530333435363740456085 ... LastLast

Thread: LFC - You'll Never Walk Alone

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se
    Then it came to World cup. he did execelllant job to beat France. But I am still in doubt how he can perform when played for LFC.
    Yes, I'm sure you were doubtful. So what would have made you excited? If that performance didn't get you excited, I've no idea what would.

The rest is history...he showed he could not play up to the expectations.

Exactly. History. I can see based on history that Diouf was a failure. Anyone can. There's no need to go back and say that well when we first signed him, I really wasn't all that impressed...

No..if he was bought at 10m to play as a striker.

You have to consider that when they signed him, £10m was NOT a major amount in the existing transfer market. Indeed, £10m was probably less in real terms than £5 million for Kewell when we signed Kewell.

U dun pay 10m for a potential player...u pay 10m for a player where his potential had been realised to turn be a good player. LFC is not a rich club...we can;t afford to play a huge amount for "potential" player, but not yet proven to be consistent good player.

I say again. The reigning African player of the year at the time we signed him. I should clarify my statement, by potential I do not mean ultimate potential or even Diouf's personal potential, but the potential to play well for Liverpool. That potential can only ever be realised or unrealised after he joins the club. Sad for us it was the latter, but it really doesn't help going around saying, oh I knew he was never going to be good.

What happens if, God forbid, Xabi goes downhill the way Kewell went downhill? Will you in 18 months turn around again and say, oh I was never that excited when we signed him. He's not even Spain's player of the year...

Aiya...of course we won't rate the player when we signed him..We would rate the player after at least 1 year he had played for the club..

Pity managers don't have that 1 year to rate players. No wonder fans always end up sounding like that know so much then.

Yes, I'm sure you were doubtful. So what would have made you excited? If that performance didn't get you excited, I've no idea what would.

We always seen some players did very good at particular tournament , didnot we ?? I am pleased with his performace with Senegal beat France 1-0. hahaha...that also bring me some cash too...I place a beat against France.
    But since i have not heard of his name...and that match is the first time I seen him playing.. I am doubt he can suit EPL style...he can adapt to Liverpool..and whether he can have such performance after the World Cup.

A player will not just a sudden turn into a good player overnight.. Form is temporary but class is forever.

In his case...Diouf was suddenly on form and on fire..Just like Schilachi bang in 6 goals in World Cup'90. At World Cup'02. ..henry did not even score a goal..he was temporary out of form..but then we all know what a good player he is..Before and after the world..he showed his class...

Had we had this thread before the world cup...for sure i would have posted that I am not excited about Diouf signings...as now I am not excited about Josemi, Nunez, and Garcia...for me they are just ordinary players...nothing much special... Alonso is a different class.. May be after 2 years when I said that iam not excited about Garcia...at least I have proven record to defend my view since the very beginning.

You have to consider that when they signed him, £10m was NOT a major amount in the existing transfer market. Indeed, £10m was probably less in real terms than £5 million for Kewell when we signed Kewell.

let compared heskey and Diouf..Both are signed to play as a striker...both were playing form a supproting striker to Owen, and both played LM and RM respectively. One at 11m and the other at 10m. We dun need the stats..do we ?

I say again. The reigning African player of the year at the time we signed him. I should clarify my statement, by potential I do not mean ultimate potential or even Diouf's personal potential, but the potential to play well for Liverpool. That potential can only ever be realised or unrealised after he joins the club. Sad for us it was the latter, but it really doesn't help going around saying, oh I knew he was never going to be good.

Fair enough...i see a comon ground between us...he is not a good player..

the difference is - U labelled him as "not a good player".
    I labelled him as a "flop".

Pity managers don't have that 1 year to rate players. No wonder fans always end up sounding like that know so much then.

Fans buy tickets and pay the cable tv to see the match.. they may be not right all the time..but customer is always right.

and I may not be right all the times...or may be sometimes...But I see Diouf is not a good player and I kept saying that we need a new manager since Last season. and Diouf is not even given a squad number at the beginning of the season and he is loaned out to Bolton and Houllier is working as a match commentator for French TV.

The thread is getting more and more interesting...
    me being very active on this thread...on and off stating down my opinions.
    and what ever what my opinions are...there is always a shout back to it that I am always wrong..hahahaaa.a.....keep it going.

had anyone of us saw the match last nite ??

kanuote handled the ball...very unnecessary to give away penalty.

He later missed the penalty and handed Liverpool a victory.

hahaha.....he must be bribed by the bookies or he is looking to move to Liverpool..

there is always a shout back to it that I am always wrong..hahahaaa.a.....keep it going.
    Hey don't get me wrong, you're an alright chap. I just wish you would have a chat with the Liverpool manager before he signs anyone else first!

bring the hornets on!!!!!

looking forward to the exciting clash!

hopefully the boys will be able to take full advantage of this splendid tie and beat the hornets and advance to the finals!

anything could happen from then on...
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

too bad i was not given a chance ...
    hahaha....

actually besides the manager, I believe the Scout play a part of role too. they are reporting the progress of a player when being targeted.

of course when u sign a player...the manager must be able to design a training schedule for the player to develop..to progress..and to realise the potential..

Wenger is the best of all in EPL... He trained a 0.5m Anelka to a top star and sold it for 14m to Real Madrid. he signed Henry from Monaco where he played as a wing..and transform him to be one of the best striker. The amazing part is he signed the unwanted Viera from AC Milan and now made him to be superstar and Arsenal Captian. Not to mention Pires...etc...And I wonder why most of the players left arsenal to play for another club...their form dropped. ie..Pettit, Anelka, and Overmars. Is he the god who could foresee that their glory era is coming to the end or he reallly have some special training schedule that can help the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    bring the hornets on!!!!!

looking forward to the exciting clash!

hopefully the boys will be able to take full advantage of this splendid tie and beat the hornets and advance to the finals!

anything could happen from then on...
    step by step lah...hahahaaa....let us prepare ourselves to face Villa this sunday.

We failed to beat Mboro and they are now sitting above us.

If we can beat Villa, we would reverse the seating with them...where Aston Villa is having 1 point more than us.

I am confidence that the young lads can beat Watford, but it will not be an easy match. We will play the reserve player and Watford will play with full gear.. Since as u say..anything could happen in the Final..this is the only hope that Watford can make themselves into Europe Football.

Nonetheless, we will either play CHelsea and MU in the final.
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 2nd December 2004 at 11:59 AM.

Wenger is the best of all in EPL... He trained a 0.5m Anelka to a top star and sold it for 14m to Real Madrid. he signed Henry from Monaco where he played as a wing..and transform him to be one of the best striker. The amazing part is he signed the unwanted Viera from AC Milan and now made him to be superstar and Arsenal Captian. Not to mention Pires...etc...And I wonder why most of the players left arsenal to play for another club...their form dropped. ie..Pettit, Anelka, and Overmars. Is he the god who could foresee that their glory era is coming to the end or he reallly have some special training schedule that can help the player.
    i believe wenger simply plays them all in a system which suits everyone in their team, resulting in happy players and good performance.
    however, this system do make the full use of the individual players' potential and ability...

such as...

professional arguments and friendly banters with the refs, getting into brotherly strides with players of the opposite team, taking professional diving courses and putting them to good use on the playing field, delivering pizzas the Gunners way, putting on shades and saying 'din't see the incident' when it matters most just in order to look cool...

professional arguments and friendly banters with the refs, getting into brotherly strides with players of the opposite team, taking professional diving courses and putting them to good use on the playing field, delivering pizzas the Gunners way, putting on shades and saying 'din't see the incident' when it matters most just in order to look cool...

and he also taught the player to throw pizza at other manager !!!! hahahaaa
    wah...not so bad is not he ?? and I tot besides Arsenal, this is what MU is good at too. Even they won yesterday..Alex jumped to the referee to ask to send off van Persie.

actually most of the managers also do this way.

Jaap Stam..(in his book) also said that Alex told his player to dive when there is even a little touch in the box where the chances of scoring is very little.

and Rooney made this concept even better...MU beat Arsenal by diving..kicking Reyes leg and challenge with load of tackle..like missile being launched every time when the Gunners had the ball. They should learn by Liverpool how to beat Arsenal..no yellow card..having less fouls and no diving.

Actually to pretend to be pushed, to act when being tackled..to use the elbow but look unintentionally..are all in the trainning schedule..

Even when I was in traning with the Uni team..all these are included.. The one that really made me laugh is to jump forward and look like a push from behind with both armes opened wide. This is to be used when we are in the wrong position to challenge for a header in the midfield area where there is another opponent player at your back who is definately better position than u. Since we will very sure to lose the challenge for the header..why not just jump and act innocent. We are also learn other dirty tricks that to knock those player who had been bocked for 1 st yellow card..and to fall with elbow aim at that player who slide-tacking u.

The best dirty trick I ever seen, when Gasgoine jumped for the header..and Dennis wise was pulling him in between the leg and Wise's hand really look like scrathing the whole lang par of Gasgoine.. Yes ..he dared to challenge Gasgoine..what a Wise man he is ...hahahaa...
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 2nd December 2004 at 12:04 PM.

btw...from the previous two matches in League Cup, I am quietly confident that Rafa does NOT need to find another CB from outside. Unless he wants 2 reserve CB.

Zat Whitbread is really full of potential.. that guy tackled like Henchoz, and win headers like Hyppia! Really promising display. He, of coz with my personal MOM Dudek, did very well to keep a 90 min cleansheet considering that Liverpool was almost underseige for 80% of the time.

Keeping a clean sheet against Keane, Kanoute and Defoe... before that was against Boro's Viduka and co.. Not bad for a 21 years old.. really got the potential.. Although still a bit skinny, but got the height...

Maybe from far he looked like Hyppia, causing the strikers to hesitate.. hahaha

I hope Rafa will gradually let him come into the first team as back-up to Carra and Hyppia.. as Alex brought up O'Shea from the Academy into first team.

Default Update : There might be major changes on LFC management

Liverpool chairman considers position

LIVERPOOL, England, Dec 2 (Reuters) - Liverpool chairman David Moores, who has a controlling stake in the club, says he is considering his position because of the strain of takeover talks.
    "This last 12 months has not been easy. It's been unbearable. I haven't slept and my family - it's difficult for them," Moores told the English premier league club's annual general meeting on Thursday.
    "I have to consider my options. I love the club, but clearly that's not enough. I can't compete with Mr Morgan's millions," he added.
    Moores, who owns a 51 percent stake in Liverpool, was referring to businessman Steve Morgan, who told the meeting that he had made a fourth bid to invest 70 million pounds ($135.7 million) in the club.
    "There is an offer on the table," said Morgan. "And the money can be in the bank by Christmas."
    A consortium, led by U.S.-based film producer Mike Jefferies and lawyer Stuart Ford, said on Thursday that they may make a takeover bid and had approached the club's financial advisers.
    That was later denied by Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry who said no talks had taken place.
    "We are not in discussions with them, I can confirm that," he said.
    Another controversial bid from the Thai government, later taken on by Thai media tycoon Paiboon Damrongchaitham, stalled earlier in the year.
    Moores's comments came after Morgan's wife Didy complained of Liverpool's reluctance to deal with her husband and said he had spent more than 300,000 pounds in fees in his attempt to put money into the club.
    "It's as if a deal would be done with the devil rather than my husband," she said.
    Moores said the latest offer from Morgan was being considered but the club were also bound to investigate the approach from L4.
    The AGM also heard that the cost of a proposed switch from Anfield to a new 60,000 seater stadium at Stanley Park had risen from an estimated 80 million pounds to 115 million.
    Parry said the club was looking for a grant from the North West Development Agency but the chairman of the NWDA wanted a groundshare with city rivals Everton and a government ruling was expected by the end of the month.
    Parry also revealed that the club decided to sell Michael Owen to Real Madrid for eight million pounds when the England striker refused to sign a new contract.
    "It is telling that there were no other bidders for Michael Owen," said Parry. "We did test the water and there was no interest."

L 4 GROUP SAYS MAY MAKE OFFER FOR LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB

The L4 Group, a consortium led by American-based film producer Mike Jefferies and lawyer Stuart Ford, said on Thursday that it may make an offer for Liverpool football club.
    L4 said in a statement that it had approached Hawkpoint, financial advisers to Liverpool, over a possible investment in or offer for the club. L4 is advised by Seymour Pierce.

Pls click here here for Rick Parry Speech at AGM

In addition,

Parry also revealed that the club decided to sell Michael Owen to Real Madrid for eight million pounds when the England striker refused to sign a new contract.
    In contrast, quoted from Rick Parry speech in AGM "The third major "event" of the summer, which delighted us all, was Steven Gerrard's decision to stay. To Steven's great credit this was never a financial issue - money was never mentioned. He simply wanted to be sure the Club was going in the right direction. "

Now it cleared the air..it is the Mickey who refused to be Liverpool player anymore. And of course we all know that we will not let anymore player walk out the club on a Bosman rule.

Now u could understand why I dun have a feeling with Owen but after Fowler, Gerrard is the player I love too.
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 3rd December 2004 at 09:16 AM.

actually, wat does it mean to have a new board take over at Liverpool?

does it mean that we'll be run like MAN UTD is now? nothing but a business venture? a Pte.Ltd and one where every decision has to be made through a board?

i'm quite confused as to the various advantages and disadvantages to this sort of consortium mergers or purchases... erm... correct me if i'm wrong!

i'm afraid that we'll lose the soul of the Liverpool F.C much like the clowns over at Man Utd are now... nothing but a pure business venture where the owners are not fans themselves but some businessmen.

i'm worried about the lack of funds and the fact that we made a record loss does not bode well.

who is this Steve Morgan? is he really a fan or is he just some businessman like those over at Man Utd??

boohooo!

Rafa's speech at the AGM. Quoted from liverpoolfc.tv
    For the first time since arriving at Anfield manager Rafael Benitez addressed the club's shareholders during last night's AGM. Here's his speech in its entirety.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen. Although I've been in Liverpool now for nearly six months, this is my first opportunity to speak to the shareholders. To start with, I want to thank you for the way you have made me, my family and staff feel so welcome since we arrived in England.

"Liverpool is one of the great names of European football and I saw how special Anfield was during my visits here with Valencia. But to actually stand on the touchline as Liverpool manager and hear the fans behind your team is a fantastic experience. I'm proud and privileged to be working here and want to say a few words on why I came to Liverpool and my plans for the future.

"I enjoyed some great successes with Valencia over the past three years and have many happy memories. But Liverpool is a huge club with fantastic support and I was excited by the challenge of bringing back honours to Anfield. I was aware of the reputation of the club, but that was an inspiration, not a burden to me.
    Great things have been achieved here in the past and I'm hungry to repeat that in the future. I feel confident we can, because the stable structure of the club allows me to focus on football.

"When I was first able to sit down with David Moores and Rick Parry to discuss the job, I understood these were responsible people undertaking a serious project. We spoke honestly about the size of the challenge we faced and the resources at our disposal. Both the strength of the squad and the financial realities we would be operating under.

"But what has struck me as a Spanish manager operating in England is how everyone at the club respects you and supports you. They always want the best for you and the team. The kind of people I am now working with at Liverpool - from the Chairman and Board of Directors down - give me total confidence in this new project I have undertaken.This club exists to win trophies. It's what the great managers here have done before me and I'm determined to do the same. The target is obviously the Premier League title, but I am not going to make promises about timescales.

"My idea is to prepare the squad to win trophies and play good football. That means instilling a winning mentality. That will be the foundation stone for the future progress we make. It is easy when you win, but we need to be as strong when we lose. We are fighting against clubs with greater resources than us, so we need everyone - the Board, the staff, the players and the supporters to be fighting together.

"Our target is always to win the next game and worry about the League table at the end of the season. We know what we have to do and how we intend to do it and I am confident we will achieve success.

"But success does not just come from spending huge amounts of money. Hard work, proper planning and good coaching are very important. The players need to understand that they must always play as a team for the good of the team.

"We also need to ensure that good young players are being developed and brought through the ranks and I'm pleased so many of them have had the chance to show what they can do in the Carling Cup this season. I was proud of them last night at Spurs. We will continue to work closely with Steve Heighway and his staff at the Academy to make sure the young players have the best possible chance to succeed.

"Always we want to do things in the right way. The performance against Arsenal in the first half was a reference point and the atmosphere in the ground incredible. When you do things right, then everyone connected to the club - those who work here and the supporters everywhere are happy.

"I understand the level of expectation here and fully accept it. I wouldn't want it any other way, which is why I am here for the long term. It will take time and patience will be needed, but I believe we have already made progress this season. However, our work has only just begun.

"Thank you for your support."
    Strikes me as a realistic chap who knows what he has to do and don't get carried away. no signs of the big head syndrome jose mourinho obviously suffers from. Hope the people at the club, even if there are changes in the board, will give him full support. i like the way he pays attention to the academy players and gives them hope that he had not forgotten them. the academy had been somewhat neglected during houllier's reign. i hope we can scrap up the cash in january for him to pick up a few good (and hopefully young) players who can strenghten the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    actually, wat does it mean to have a new board take over at Liverpool?

does it mean that we'll be run like MAN UTD is now? nothing but a business venture? a Pte.Ltd and one where every decision has to be made through a board?

i'm quite confused as to the various advantages and disadvantages to this sort of consortium mergers or purchases... erm... correct me if i'm wrong!

i'm afraid that we'll lose the soul of the Liverpool F.C much like the clowns over at Man Utd are now... nothing but a pure business venture where the owners are not fans themselves but some businessmen.

i'm worried about the lack of funds and the fact that we made a record loss does not bode well.

who is this Steve Morgan? is he really a fan or is he just some businessman like those over at Man Utd??

boohooo!
    I'm a Man Utd fan, but i'm not offended by your post. Success breeds jealousy.

Seriously, football is $$$. No $$$ no honey. If Man Utd are not run like a business, where to find the cash? Ppl like Roman Abramovich are rare! Even Real Madrid had to sell their properties to finance their purchases. Liverpool just anounced their record loss but not to worry if they go thru the group stages of CL. More $$$ will come.

But i feel that the ground share thing is It will not be the same when Liverpool Vs Everton.

BTW, i'm not here to argue. When its european games, i'll support all english teams. Hope Arsenal and Liverpool makes it into the knockout stages. Newcastle and Boro are thru in UEFA......yay! Lazio out!

Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    I'm a Man Utd fan, but i'm not offended by your post. Success breeds jealousy.

Seriously, football is $$$. No $$$ no honey. If Man Utd are not run like a business, where to find the cash? Ppl like Roman Abramovich are rare! Even Real Madrid had to sell their properties to finance their purchases. Liverpool just anounced their record loss but not to worry if they go thru the group stages of CL. More $$$ will come.

But i feel that the ground share thing is It will not be the same when Liverpool Vs Everton.

BTW, i'm not here to argue. When its european games, i'll support all english teams. Hope Arsenal and Liverpool makes it into the knockout stages. Newcastle and Boro are thru in UEFA......yay! Lazio out!
    hohoho!
    i just don't want Liverpool to end up like Man Utd!! hohoho! Liverpool should remain a family-owned football club! but who am i to say what it should be?
    hohoho!

the groundshare must not happen. can't believe sharing the ground with Everton! wat will the stadium be painted in? and the seats? Red and Blue and White?!

earlier suggestions is that Everton will rent the stadium from us for their own games. i don't think they are that stupid to go for this option. surely they want to have a stake in the stadium too.

problem with man utd is that it became a branding exercise. ditto for real madrid. while the money coming in is very nice indeed, the problem is that the club is run at the mercy of stockholders who are often more interested in getting returns for their investments rather than because they really love the club or even the game. look at how fergie's hands are tied in transfers. you wanna buy, sell first. looking at transfer spendings, for the richest club in the world, fergie's spending power is actually no more than wenger or houllier. in fact, despite some hovering near bankruptcy, italian clubs are splashing more on transfers every season. don't even let me get started on real.... if we start signing a "galactico" every year, i'll be supporting crewe instead, thank you very much.
    the reasons for fergie's and wenger's success are smart buying and actively scouting the market for good buys, especially promising juniors. not to mention giving the youngsters a chance to develop and gain experience. the chelsea model for success is just too artificial and potentially unstable. sometimes the blend of stars work, sometimes, you get real madrid.
    Last edited by giddygoat; 4th December 2004 at 02:10 PM.

and while i pity everton cos they are doing so well but yet lacking in funds, i feel a groundshare would not work. there's too much passion in the games between the merseysiders and sharing the same ground would dilute it. and it would be a killer for the grass to have two teams playing on it, especially if both are also involved in europe, league cup, FA cup, etc at the same time.
    hope they can find the means to build a stadium of their own.

harry kewell!

woohooo!

aiya...........half time 1 - 1....