Page 19 of 197 FirstFirst ... 914171819202124294469 ... LastLast

Thread: LFC - You'll Never Walk Alone

Quote Originally Posted by zhapchit
    hmm live on tcs5 but delayed telecast on cable ?

i'd guess a 3-1 win for liverpool :P
    nvr really check.. might be turning in soon.
    working tomorrow!! i jus hope to catch all of Liverpool's 'Live' games esp. those in Anfield and in the EPL... i guess tonight i'll pass!
    but my spirit lives on!!!

GO LIVERPOOL!!!! X 1000!! haaa
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Just got back. Stayed just about dry. Should've won that. Sackload of misses. Frankly, I'm not overly bothered, because based on what I saw of Deportivo, we certainly could beat them in a fortnight; they were distinctly ordinary.

the next game we'll get better!!!! go go go!!!

Of course it is not the result that we are hoping for..but the first half is the best performance so far I have seen this season.

3 games (2H1A) we have 4 points.

If we can have 6 points..we will proceed to knock out stage.

But if we only manage to have 4 or 5 points...then chances is very much also on the other team results.

Although it was a draw, I m not complaining much becos it was a good performance. Just the finishing and luck was not there (we used it up against Fulham).. Baros and Cisse seriously can't play together.. at least not at this moment.

Personally, i think we need a fox-in-the-box but neither are.
    Golden Boot or not, I still find it hard to appreciate Baros so far this season. He doesnt have deadly striker instinct ala Owen or Fowler, yet his style is too direct and selfish. Whenever he gets the ball, he will definitely try to take the ball somewhere with his head down, regardless of other players in better position than him. No awareness and doesnt bring his teammates into play at all.

Anybody remember any first touch passes or one-two Baros ever played with anyone? Watching him running head down into a group of defenders when a teammate is open for pass is just so frustrating. I can imagine playing with him is even more frustrating. Sure, a good striker must be selfish and goal-hungry. But that means when u are presented with realistic chances you go for it instead of passing it. Fair enough. But this Baros just take defenders on and shoot for goal no matter how unrealistic it is.

Did it against Chelsea. Did it against Fulham (which ironically turned into an own goal. We have 4 goals but 3 shots on target. Serious.). Yesterday there was one instant when he got the ball about one metre outside the penalty box, two defenders were closing him down. Cisse was IN FRONT of him asking for the ball. Just a simple pass forward would have released Cisse into the box. But he, again, decided to hold the ball with his head down for three seconds before losing the ball.

If u guys dont agree, make a mental note to observe his options the next time he play. Note how many teammates around his are in better position. He will waste many potentially good, fast and flowing attack due to his selfishness.

May be I just cant wait for Morientes to come.

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se
    Whenever he gets the ball, he will definitely try to take the ball somewhere with his head down, regardless of other players in better position than him. No awareness and doesnt bring his teammates into play at all.
    I agree with u..hee.. he always run with his head down and look like a mad horse

I thought finnan was much more effective on the right than cisse was. Cisse cant cross for nuts.

Riise had a particular poor game, guess he is best at left back. Hope Kewell get more games, gerrard comes back and perhaps nunez can solve our right wing problems. Not to forget Hope warnock gets a run in as well.

I kinda like Baros' direct style of playing. Not much of a team player though, has all the makings of a super sub.

Good performance nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    Just got back. Stayed just about dry. Should've won that. Sackload of misses. Frankly, I'm not overly bothered, because based on what I saw of Deportivo, we certainly could beat them in a fortnight; they were distinctly ordinary.
    Deportivo at home will be very different proposition esp since Liverpool is hardly good on travel....

Just feel that Liverpool blew the chance today. Definitely a mtach that we dominate and should win comfortably. Paoblo Manuel saves 2 certain goals for them...

Quote Originally Posted by kop
    I agree with u..hee.. he always run with his head down and look like a mad horse
    just like diouf the headless fly
    Confidence is thinking you'll be Champions, arrogance is stating it.

Deportivo at home will be very different proposition esp since Liverpool is hardly good on travel....
    Deportivo came to Anfield to defend and hope to play for a draw..THey did that and they snatched a point.

But when we travel to Spain to play for a win..I am worried whether we are capable of.

I'm not sure if I agree with a lot of what was said. I thought Cisse had one of his better games in a red shirt. Not great by any stretch but certainly better than many of his previous games. Also I thought Milan had a good game, aside from not finding the net. His single-mindedness is annoying at times I agree but I wasn't overly aware of it yesterday; in fact my one memory was when someone didn't find him in space, can't remember who now. The fact is that his directness troubles defenders, and I thought it was very evident yesterday. Certainly he was busy and full of running, with and without the ball. Ditto why I thought Cisse had a decent game yesterday - he took people on.

On the other hand I thought Alonso had an exceedingly quiet game yesterday. First 20 minutes I don't think much went through him at all, which is not what you want of your playmaker. And Garcia had shades of when I saw him first play at Bolton - nightmare first touch, passes to defenders.

I certainly think they've played much better (Monaco springs to mind), but like I said, I wasn't impressed by Deportivo on either an offensive or defensive level, hence my optimism.

well, like it or not, it's gonna be away form that counts for us next. we need to take points from our away matches. lot's of room for improvements certainly. still not quite playing as a unit yet but better than under houllier in terms of movement and passing.
    can live with thought that we will not make it past this round but we must at least show spirit in our games!! if they play well and go out, there's always hope.
    cisse showed some good movements and baros did what he does best, charge for the goal. problem remains that we still don't seem to have the all-important penalty box predator. if cisse improves, he could be a henry/anelka type forward who can cause a lot of trouble, but i would miss having a player who can just pop in the box and put it away, eg shearer or fowler (mellor?). morientes may fit the bill and his experience would help steady this inexperienced side.
    i think garcia is often guilty of trying to do too much. if you try to be too fancy, you often end up losing the ball. wonder if it would work if we play kewell in garcia's role and garcia on the left side. Kewell, i think, is better in situations where he tightly covered. he's stronger and more determined. garcia would enjoy more space on the flanks for him to play in.

Shearer does a lot more than pop in the box and put it away. Mellor isn't really an instinctive striker either. Kewell in Garcia's role didn't work half of last season and a few games of this season.

cisse showed some good movements and baros did what he does best, charge for the goal. problem remains that we still don't seem to have the all-important penalty box predator.
    I agree on this...We need someone who play mostly as the fox in the box..

Cisse is good player...I did not say he is not good. He chased after the ball (he won the ball and that lead to 4th goal we scored agaisnt Fulham) and he is hard working... but He is not that instint killer who works a lot inside the box. We need someone who play the style of Fowler.

Also I thought Milan had a good game, aside from not finding the net.
    For a striker...this can not last long...A striker needs either assist on goal (ie Bergkamp) or score (ie Henry)....Heskey used to have lots of good game for England...but is being dropped out from national team...

Of course after 2 months..I hope the team had started to gel together and form some sort of communication. It is really wasted to see sometimes Cisse is totally isolated from the game (during the match we lost 1-2 to MU). I could not believe the main striker for Liverpool who did not have a single shoot on target in a game.

Home to Charlton this Saturday.If we maintain the form we played Fulham and Deportivo..I will see a 2-0. My worried most of us is their inconsistency...rollover-coaster performance..

I agree, I just cannot see anything that pleases you for long.

Wah..so late already still not sleeping
    Confidence is thinking you'll be Champions, arrogance is stating it.

Default I love the way Milan plays his game!! Run Milan Run!!

Milan Baros is doing a fine job of running down the defenders(reminds one of a younger owen, some time ago! haha!). i like to see him taking on defenders instead of just passing the ball back to the midfield(all the time ala some striker - kekeke).

i think he's a striker who is very much aware of his own surroundings and i think he's a very good box player too(he's scored a few from riochets and smothered shots from the keepers, anyone remember the goal against Fulham? think hard... there are a few more in the past season!). together with djibril cisse, they can only get better! their strike-partnership is but a few games old, don't forget.

we can only look up to better days under Rafael Benitez and that is what i would like to believe in!

GO LIVERPOOL!!!!

I agree, I just cannot see anything that pleases you for long.
    not really lah...of course u must first set out the time horizon..no player..nor manager can please every one for long...but at least long enough to leave the fans a good impression.

it is too early to judge all the newcomers...ie Cisse, Warnock, Garcia, etc...

for the old bird..I am very pleased with hamann , carrager, gerrard.

Riise, Kewell, Dudek recent form had dipped..but still like them.

ex player (left in the last 3 years) like heskey, murphy, babbel, owen, I appreciated their overall contribution...

But Baros had been with us 3 seasons ..and established himself him as the main striker to partner Cisse..I expect to see more from him..

He scored quick a decent number of goals in his 2002-2003 season..but that was mostly from counterattack and long range passing. not sure he can adapt to the new system under Rafa. But strange I find it really strange that he could score so many goals for Czech..May be there is a Koller (like hesky) to head down the ball to him and take most of the challenge from defenders and a Nedved for the deadly passing.

Of course the match vs Deportivo, he did it superbly...he is voted 5 points by the fans in LFC website..

only if he is given the chances to be the first 11 line up for the whole season and score at least 15 goals or assit 10 goals in ...I will be convinced he is the striker for liverpool. 15 goals in total is not too much ?? even Titi Camera scored 10 goals during his season with LFC.

Milan Baros is doing a fine job of running down the defenders
    It is exactly ok to run down the defenders..but if your teamate has no one marking on him and is a better position to fire a shot..why not just pass the ball to him ?? Ronaldo is the striker to run down and turn around defenders...but he is also very good in assist on goal. He just did that for Owen to open account.

Why henry is so good ?? he can fire a shot...he can dribble...and he assist on goal..run donw the defenders open up the space for others..he take on 2 defenders to stich to him...and pass the ball to his teamate...Pires most of the time..and he will run back to the box for himself to get ready if Pires is to pass the ball back to him...

[
    i think he's a striker who is very much aware of his own surroundings and i think he's a very good box player too
    this one I do not share the same view as u.. I dun think he is not very aware of his surroundings...I seldom see him to a deadly passing...nor he has often done on assist on goal..but as u said...he is a box player. He is quick to react...and always has an eye for goal..(the 2nd goal he scored against fulham)

but when he is outside the box..he just run into defenders.. They style he plays (first touch, turn around and just shoulder to shoulder with defender) would invite lots of challenge..Had u noticed that we have more freekick than before ?? too bad we dun have good freekick taker in the squad to capitalize all the chances..May be Alonso...but yet proven, unless he can score at least 5 for this season. I miss Murphy.
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 21st October 2004 at 10:58 AM.

I think Baros is ok for now. Although he's with Liverpool for 3 years, he didn;t really get a look in by Houllier due partly to his injury and houllier's prefernce for Owen and Heskey pairing.

I am sure Baros will be at least a 10 goal/season striker. He's tons better than Titi... Another flop by houllier..

It will be safe to assume that if Baros/Cisse combination scores less than 30 goals in this season in the league and CL, you can seriously call them a flop if they start 80% of the games. Henry, scores more than 30 goals last season. Sure, he plays on a better team but it's not too much to ask for Baros/Cisse to score 15 goals each. Given Liverpool will play 38 league games, min 6 CL games, 12 if reach 2nd round and more if advance further. League cup (est at least 3 matches) FA cup (at least 4 matches). Liverpool will play abt 51 matchs or more. So at 80%, they would each have play abt 41 matches. 15 goals in 41 matches is only abt 37%. Assuming liverpool averages about 2 goals per match, thats abt 102 goals/ season. Their contribution is only 30/102 or abt 30%. Thats very low for contribution by your main strikers.

Can you imagine what will happen if they score 30 only? it means we need 72 goals from the rest of the team like Hyppia, Riise, Kewell, Hamann, Alonso, Garcia etc. Even Biscan and Carragher must score at least 2-3 goals!

Of course, above is just theory but it proves that they should easily scores 15 goals each or else, Liverpool will be in deep sh*t....