Page 14 of 197 FirstFirst ... 49121314151619243964 ... LastLast

Thread: LFC - You'll Never Walk Alone

DAMN chelsea...

our squad is not huge
    I would rather say that our player is not up to their standard yet.

What I observe during the match chelsea

1) Josemi - toally outplay by Duff..He used to play in La liga when the wing in Spanish football do not run so fast and effective like Giggs, RObert, Ronaldo, Pires and Duff....due to the pace the football game they are having there.

2) Alonso - freekick one direction - kick to far post and hope Hyypia to head in. Never change...even for corner kick..he did the same . And 2 out of 10 kick are flying to no one.

3) Garcia - runnng alot and run aimlessly, and his effective passing to striker -Cisse almost none at all.

4) Cisse - good but isolated at al.. Hard working and come back to defend for the team..He managed to block shoot once or 2. Would have performed better but the supply is not limited.

Hey, people are entitled to have an off day... against Norwich, Alonso passed the ball 82 times, and only ONCE did his pass not find a red shirt. I'm as baffled as the next. Like I said at the start of the season, I'm not optimistic, but I am hopeful.

On the other hand, you were jumping up and down and all optimistic, and suddenly you've decided to turn on everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se
    Seriously...I am sure zone defending is a good defending method...AC Milan, Valencia and Italy proved it. But I am not sure Benitez can have the time to cultivate this method to the current liverpool squad ???
    So what would you do? Change the manager again?

band of frustrated liverpool brothers i think a lot of us saw benitez as the saviour and forgot he's human. well, one season is not likely to see us become from also-rans to champions but i do hope we don't become never-rans. certainly some parts of the team's play has improved and the 3 signings have proven themselves to be good ones (though we ought to hold the superlatives till next season). the point was everyone played badly, not just alonso or garcia. i do think they need time to adapt to the sudden increase in the pace of the game in the premiership. the pace is slower in spain and there's more space to play, that was why you could see alonso and garcia shining against norwich. frankly, the canaries gave us too much space. maybe they would learn with time, maybe they won't but that's life. that doesn't remove the fact that they are good players and deserve a chance.
    i'm just curious jed. you watched the reserves play right? what's you opinion of them? especially the likes of mellor, welsh and partridge? do you think they can make it? always had this thing about players from the ranks. there's something special about a home grown player making good.
    here's a dream. bring back fowler and maybe he'll rediscover his form

btw, i wouldn't really blame josemi too much. i always felt he was the best signing so far. quietly doing his job and settling in very well into the defence. let's face it, duff on fire is gonna be hard to stop even for the likes of maldini. and josemi does have a lot to learn but i think he did well. as for there not being fast and effective wingers in spain, just ask joaquin, vincente and even figo (not as fast as he used to be, but he can be a handful when playing well).

one criticism of benitez though, he really ought to give some thought to fielding 2 forwards. we just seem to lack the cutting edge. i not saying he should never use one forward like now, but just that he should slowly introduce that style of play to the team. playing one forward requires the midfielders just move into space quickly and it's something many liverpool midfielders are not used to, even alonso. if he wants to play one forward, maybe put both garcia AND kewell just behind, on either side of the lone forward to exploit the space. we know these two are not too shy to move forward and score...
    just my opinion. it's amazing how verbose i can get when i'm trying to avoid doing my own work
    Last edited by giddygoat; 5th October 2004 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by giddygoat
    band of frustrated liverpool brothers i think a lot of us saw benitez as the saviour and forgot he's human. well, one season is not likely to see us become from also-rans to champions but i do hope we don't become never-rans. certainly some parts of the team's play has improved and the 3 signings have proven themselves to be good ones (though we ought to hold the superlatives till next season). the point was everyone played badly, not just alonso or garcia. i do think they need time to adapt to the sudden increase in the pace of the game in the premiership. the pace is slower in spain and there's more space to play, that was why you could see alonso and garcia shining against norwich. frankly, the canaries gave us too much space. maybe they would learn with time, maybe they won't but that's life. that doesn't remove the fact that they are good players and deserve a chance.
    i'm just curious jed. you watched the reserves play right? what's you opinion of them? especially the likes of mellor, welsh and partridge? do you think they can make it? always had this thing about players from the ranks. there's something special about a home grown player making good.
    here's a dream. bring back fowler and maybe he'll rediscover his form

gagahahaha! next season! i can wait... i've waited some 10years(the likes of fowler... owen... has come and go), y not another year then?
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

waiting is not a problem. my chief worry is that if we don't do well, gerrard may be looking to leave end of this season.
    and chelsea and madrid will be waiting....

hmm..i am not sure if we are too eager for success...

among the few new managers..benitez, santini and mourinho (anyone else i left out?)

seems like santini has the most impact? although i think spurs's play now is somewhat negative..

i was wondering...what if mourinho chose liverpool instead of chelski..
    it would have been very very interesting..

but again..it's a big IF - I Fantasize...
    Confidence is thinking you'll be Champions, arrogance is stating it.

anyone read this article from soccernet?

its all about Owen!

Hey, people are entitled to have an off day... against Norwich, Alonso passed the ball 82 times, and only ONCE did his pass not find a red shirt.
    i can understand that.. but I am more concerned about the performance of the team when we play against better side.

ALonso and the gang performed superb during the match

against Man City , against WBA & against Norwich

but they did not do well in the match against Hotsperm

and they did poorly in those match against Chelsea, agasint MU, against Bolton.

it is understood player would have a off day. But the recent EPL matches bring me to concern that the gang is good and up to the standard when we playing those team , who believe to finish the season 11th and below.

If we are to challenge the team like Tot, Chelsea , MU , and newcastle, middlebrough etc...I wonder these player are up to that challenge ?

Like I said at the start of the season, I'm not optimistic, but I am hopeful.

On the other hand, you were jumping up and down and all optimistic, and suddenly you've decided to turn on everyone.

So what would you do? Change the manager again?
    I do not think RB is not good enough nor I think zone defending is a problem.

What concern me is the time..I do not think RB has the pleasure of 2-3 year just to cultivate the new defending method in the expense for Liverpool to finish the next 2 seasons 5th and below with no CL to play. Even Gerrard might be leaving the club as well.

What would I do ?? Keep supporting LFC loh....What can I do as a fans besides of giving some personal opinion with the friends in kopitam and in CS kopitam.

If the squad fail to learn the new defending method and the team finsih at 10th at the end of this season...I would believe to the board would have a closed door serious discussion with RB... and we have a serious problem. A record low finish for LFC in EPL history.

Sometimes the manager left was partly due to the pressure from fans and the accumulating rumours and report from media.

Imagine the player come to training day with a dount that will he be the manager tomorrow ? What I will end up with if we have a new manager ? WHat if we lose the next game..?? THe player concentration is out of control and the fans are moarning....that believed why Robson and Houllier were having little choice to leave the club.

btw jed...I dun read much news about LFC regarding the new stadium.
    Has it be approved by the city council ? When is the expected completion date ??

I have not visited any Europe country at all..Would like to make my first Europe trip to Lvierpool to watch them play at home.

its all about Owen!
    forget about that micky..I personally feel very tulan about him....

Although I respect his decision to leave the club and appreciated the goals he scored for the club. But the way he delayed the contract negotiation and made us no choice to offload him for 8m, and the most pissoff is he came on to the media on and off to keep telling the fans that he would sign a new contract, just finalise some detail....and that drag for more than 1 year...!!! and that was all bullsheet.

He is one of my tulan list of Liverpool ex-player now.
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 6th October 2004 at 09:22 AM.

Default Why Benitez's Revolution Will Take 18 Months

ONE THING was clear at Stamford Bridge - Liverpool never really posed a consistent threat to trouble Chelsea, writes Mark Lawrenson.

There was enough evidence, and most Liverpool supporters would agree, that several members of the squad are just not up to the job.

And enough to know that it will take approximately 18 months before Rafael Benitez (left) will be also to work with a squad of players he is comfortable with.

I'm sorry if that sounds all doom and gloom, and I agree there have been flashes of encouragement at Anfield, but it is an honest assessment of where Liverpool find themselves at the beginning of Benitez's reign.

Looking at the team at Stamford Bridge, only Jamie Carragher, Sami Hyypia and Chris Kirkland were of sufficient calibre as players to take the club forward.

Of the rest, the Spanish players are new and so are largely exempt from criticism at this stage as they make their way in England, while Djibril Cisse is in the same boat - even though he continues to frustrate in his lone striker role.

By and large the other players failed to do anything to convince me they are the right choices to drive the club on.

I'm not saying they are bad players, just that they are not going to strengthen Liverpool to the level they want to be at.

There is a world of difference between being a decent Premiership performer and being a major player in the British game.

At the head of that queue is Harry Kewell. You can say what you want about him - about his talent or his ability to run with the ball - but the simple fact is he has never done it for Liverpool.

It is not like he has not had the time or the opportunity to perform consistently, but for whatever reason he remains an enigma.

I am sure Benitez will be working hard to figure out just why a player who should be one of his major creative forces has failed to create a shot or chance in so many games.

Certainly the fact he has made so many changes shows he is unhappy with the application of the players at his disposal, as well as their sluggishness in adapting their style to his preferred tactical plan.

To me the last three matches have just underlined to me what a big job Benitez has on.

Undoubtedly he will want to make changes and bring in new players, but to begin with he cannot do that until January, and even then it is not clear how much money he will have to spend.

With the new stadium on the horizon to swallow up plenty of funding, that's why I believe it will be at least a year and a half before we see real change at Liverpool.

So, what must the manager do in the meantime?

Firstly he has to hope his best goalkeeper can stay fit and his best player can recover from injury as soon as possible. Kirkland will be a great player for Liverpool if he can stay on the pitch, while in Steven Gerrard, he has the type of personality and player who would drive the team on to better results than they are getting at present.

Secondly I also expect him to drop the split-striker system away from home, where Luis Garcia is too lightweight to make an impact. Playing Milan Baros and Cisse up front would at least give opposition defenders more to think about.

Finally I expect he will be working to try and improve the levels of some of his squad to what the expectation and history of the club demand they should be. For all the players, just doing enough to get by at Liverpool will no longer be tolerated.

This story has been reproduced from today's media and is not necess

Harry Kewell has vowed to silence the critics and rediscover the form which secured him a 'dream' move to Liverpool. < http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drill...41006-1519.htm >

Quote Originally Posted by zhapchit
    Harry Kewell has vowed to silence the critics and rediscover the form which secured him a 'dream' move to Liverpool. < http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drill...41006-1519.htm >

yeah! hope the team rediscover the form in the next match!!!!!

the team's low in confidence! let's see Liverpool hire a new manager! and that's me! hohoho!

personally, i prefer...

Chris Kirkland in GK.

Hyypia and Carragher as Centreback.

Josemi as Right wing back.
    Riise as Left wing back.

Hamann as Anchorman.

Gerrard as Center Midfield.

Alonso as Right Support man. Kewell as Left Support man.

Milan Baros and Djibril Cisse as Strikers.

The subs: Garcia, Warnock, Dudek, Henchoz and Biscan.

play Passing and Hard Pressing! do not hit on the counter, slow build up from the back. the 2 centrebacks will man mark, while the rest will do zonal marking! i'm inspired by Benitez!! hohoho!

i think we can go on and beat every team, in my CM4!! hohoho!

Quote Originally Posted by akane
    well, i think we will just need to wait and see after a few more games.

now is still too early to say how things will go.

it's sad to see the core "English players" go (Murphy, Owen and Heskey).

Do we want Liverpool to be a traditional English squad (e.g Charlton)
    or
    a Cosmopolitan squad with players all over the europe/world? (Arsenal/Chelski)

I am not sure myself.

Some people will not care as long as we win.

I am in a dilemma.

I support Liverpool because of its tradition and the way it used to play.

But I think now football has changed alot, it's no longer like the way it used to be. Like Liverpool back in the 70s and 80s, where almost every player is a British.

Although Benitez is bringing in some spanish players, but I think he is also trying to groom some of the youngsters (mellor, warnock, potter etc.) by giving them chance in the first team.

So I think it's still too early to judge Benitez.

Once a liverpool fan, always a liverpool fan.
    Hi all, I'm so happy to see so many Liverpool fans here...yeah...! I think it is a right move to sell Murphy, Owen and Hesky . They are just ordinary players. I think many people including me had an illusion when Owen broke into the first team squard. After a while I realised all he has was speed and nothing else. Defenders were beaten by his speed, not his skill, in fact he has none. Just look at his ball control and his passing. His ball control was sucks...whenever he stop a high ball, the ball somehow landed at least 5 metres away from him. His passing are just simple back pass to the midfield or defend. Can anyone recall any defend splitting pass from him? In conclusion, I should think it justified for the club to sell him especially he is in the final year of his contract.

I feel that owen has betrayed liverpool by insisting all the while that he will stay and yet sign for Real. At least he can indicate privately so that liverpool can sell his for more than the 8m!

Also, i have never been a great fan of owen as he has no left foot, does not head well etc. Even Glenn Hoddle says so! Moreover, he has lost considerable speed as he ages (gosh, and he only 25?). I can;t remember the last time he sprint pass any defenders!

Oh yes, as for his scoring records, at Liverpool, Fowler still holds a much superior scoring record as compared to owen.

Ask any fans whether they remember Owen scoring any hat tricks, any spectacular shots? No.

As for Fowler, he scored i think 4 goals against Arsenal in one match and a hat trick in 5 mins?

Even for England, owen has failed in recent times. I believe if there is some analysis done, you will see that the bulk of his 23 goals in 67 matchs came probably like 15 goals in 30 matchs which means about 8 goals in last 37 matches. It is hardly prolific esp since he started almost all the matches and played the full 90 mins.

Just a thought... would you consider buying or loaning Mutu from Chelsea if you are Rafael Benetiz? I knew i would.
    Last edited by nemesis32; 7th October 2004 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    I feel that owen has betrayed liverpool by insisting all the while that he will stay and yet sign for Real. At least he can indicate privately so that liverpool can sell his for more than the 8m!
    Hi Nemesis32, hahahaa..u have the same tot as mine. If u had read my post, I aledi stated that Owen is classified under my ltulan list of ex-liverpool player. From a LFC fans perspective.

Ask any fans whether they remember Owen scoring any hat tricks, any spectacular shots? No.
    the last hattrick Owen scored for us...If I am not wrong , is the match vs MC...2 of his goal from counterattack...Sun Jijai try to chased after him but only managed to eat dust. That season we finished 5th. (2 seasons ago)

any spectacular shots ?? yes..any goal scored by him from a header and left foot and long shoot is spectacular.

Spectacular goal by left foot - winning goal vs Arsenal in FA Cup final.
    Spectacular goal by long range shot - the match we won 3-0 agaisnt everton (or was it 3-1) last season. Where owen received the ball from the left flank and run with the ball and fire a powerful long range shot. Murphy scored the 3rd with a curling banana ball.
    Spectacular goal by header - FA CUp Quarterfinal against MU (i think it is th 1999 season) where Owen scored a header just 5 minutes after the referee blow the whislte..Schmichael was left stunned..Wondering how could Owen at 1.76m scored the goal to beat him..we lost the game 2-1.

Just a thought... would you consider buying or loaning Mutu from Chelsea if you are Rafael Benetiz? I knew i would.
    I will sell Baros to Baca for 8m if there is still interest from them..and sell traore for 2m to everton and diao to somewhere...and use the money to buy Mutu.
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 8th October 2004 at 08:32 AM.

Hehe. Chinese saying: "heroes think alike" mah!

In any case, i think what i said is what most liverpool fans have in mind. Except for a short time when Owen burst into the scene, he's been a disappointment for the last 2 years.

I wouldn't see Baros though, i think he's a class act just that we don't create enough for him. Liverpool don't have someone like Nedved to create the chance or Koller to knock down the balls for Baros.

All our strikers are too small size and not hard nosed enough. How i wish to see a really selfish striker like Hasselbaink for Liverpool (of course, when he's in his prime!).

Yet to see much of Mellor and Sinama Pongelle this season. I feel RB should give them a chance. Sinama and La Tallec are the best youngsters a couple of years back but look at how Rooney and Ronaldo overtook them.

Even John Welsh and Richie Partridge should be given a chance. You can see how hungry Warnock fights for his place. Houllier's failure is not giving players a chance to fight for places. Sure, he rotates the squad to a point no one know who is playing but he does not play the best 11. At least RB is brave enough to say Liverpool is not good enough whereas Houllier always says " we're turning the corner" after each win. I think he must have turned 360 degrees a couple of time as Liverpool is no better off when he join us 6 years (yeah, he claims only 5!).

away from all those "bashing" about the team...

i realised that there are alot alot of liverpool fans in CS.

personally i have this feeling that liverpool fans do have something common (besides being liverpool fans).

i am not sure...but in terms of personality/character liverpool fans are somewhat similar..

does anyone out there feel the same?
    Confidence is thinking you'll be Champions, arrogance is stating it.