Page 134 of 197 FirstFirst ... 84109124129132133134135136139144159184 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 3924

Thread: LFC - You'll Never Walk Alone

Chelsea claimed to have sourced Gerrard for the next season already! Has Gerrard been tapped?
    This is so distracting. Hope liverpool concentrates and not let such issues interfere with their game.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    BTW, there is not such a thing as a complete midfielder. No one is perfect.
    we all know that no one is perfect. That does not mean that there is no complete midfielder. Pele, Platini, Maradona all three classic exmaple.

They all can dribble, take free kick, pass, score, take corner. although u may argue that

1) they are not good in heading - yes. but if u score enough goals for your team to win so many...u do no need to dirty your hair, rite ?
    2) they are not at defending - yes. but if u can control the possesion and make the opponent running like headless chicken, u are to make the opponent to defend , thus u do not need to do much defending.

Brudder... welcome back.

I think there's no complete or perfect player. However, once you reach "worldclass" standards, it's good enough as your imperfection is way overshadowed by your plus points. Think players like Zidane (he dun need to tackle), Roberto Carlos (defender that dun defend much), Ronaldo (slow and tubby but lethal), Maldini (old and slow but never missed a tackle) etc..

Quote Originally Posted by ibitemynails
    hmmmmmmmmm
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by kop
    ???
    i dunno waht everyone talking about so i "hmmmm"

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    Brudder... welcome back.

I think there's no complete or perfect player. However, once you reach "worldclass" standards, it's good enough as your imperfection is way overshadowed by your plus points. Think players like Zidane (he dun need to tackle), Roberto Carlos (defender that dun defend much), Ronaldo (slow and tubby but lethal), Maldini (old and slow but never missed a tackle) etc..
    u dun need to be perfect or a true complete player to win ..u just need to be more a better/complete player than your opponent to win.

anyway...it is a no end discussion.

back on the Gerrard issue, I think there is still very much room ahead for him to improve. he should understand that football is a team sport. No man is bigger than a team. Even maradona utilised his team mate a lot to win the game, ie the winning goal Argentina scored against germany in World Cup 86.

Sometimes Gerrard took the chances too personally, oftenly ignored his teamate presence that are in a better position.

If he can be levelled his midfield role as good as Dalglish...it will really be wonderful.

One thing I notice when Owen was playing...we saw more from Gerrard world class passing. But so far this season, we had seen less of them but he scored from comapred to all of his previous season. Why ??

My opinion - 1) he did not trust others as much as he trusted Owen...thus, he would rather take a few touch on the ball and run forward, then only he pass when he had no other options (ie being closed down by defenders ).

2) he took everything on his shoulder...and he tried to play too much rather than invite his team mate into play...

but overall...i see him more a completer player than Lampard.

He can defend and tackle but lampard is really not good at this.

Besides a player...gerrard is the captain and the team essence.whereas lampard is not..

Did not u read that the chinese say "it is easy to get thousand soldiers but hard to find a general"..

They are lots of good player around...but not all are good captain. Pele, Ronaldo is a classic example, damn good player but not a leader.
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 16th March 2005 at 02:11 PM.

I am a great admirer of Gerrard's ability. However, i think sometimes he tries too hard. As a result, you will find liverpool playing better without him, ie 1st leg of CL?
    Hi brother..I have to say yes and no this statement.

WInning 3-1 away game is better result than winning 3-1 at home game.

Gerrard played the away game but not the home game. Why u quoted the 1st leg of the CL match against Livercushion ?

Liverpool is indeed having a better result on the away game of which gerrard did play ?

Btw...I had also read a report. In the 1st 25 EPL games...coincidently, liverpool has a higher/more points in average withouot Gerrard playing, something like 1.32.

Those matches with Gerrard, we did actually in average 1.27. May be Gerrard was involved in all those matches we lost, and not been able to play 1 or 2 matches that the team won.

The reason why i quoted the 1st game is actually becos, i feel we played very well in 1st leg. By the time return leg, Leverkusen is already chasing the game and once we scored the 1st goal, there's no chance of them winning. Leverkusen is already missing several key players in the return leg.

With Gerrard in the side, liverpool is very dependent of him. If he plays well, we most likely will win. If he don't, we usually lose. unfortunately, i think he's pretty inconsistent this year, esp afetr the link with CHelsea.

Liverpool tends to wait and see what he can do when Gerrard plays. As for the argument of when Owen is playing, gerrard is making more defence splitting passes, i think it's down to practice and style. Owen played with Gerrard since the Academy days and even in England squad. Also,BAros and Nando's style is very different from Owen. Owen is more reliant on his Pace, Baros is more direct and like to dribble pass his opponents, NAndo is more a hold-up and header player. Hence, Gerrard will ended pass to Baros, for him to take on players or to cross for Nando for headers etc...

With Gerrard in the side, liverpool is very dependent of him. If he plays well, we most likely will win. If he don't, we usually lose. unfortunately, i think he's pretty inconsistent this year, esp afetr the link with CHelsea.
    agree. when u try to play a defensive/attacking midfield role, in addition being as a supportive striker...and the captaincy and to bear the win.lose on your shoulder....u will not be consistent troughtout the year. Since the role that u play in game is not even consistent.. I see that the team will improve if gerrard can focus more on distributing the ball and direct the attack. ie Dunga. he directed the team where to attack..when the wing run out of idea...they play the ball back to him. When defending...he is always there to organise.

Liverpool tends to wait and see what he can do when Gerrard plays. As for the argument of when Owen is playing, gerrard is making more defence splitting passes, i think it's down to practice and style. Owen played with Gerrard since the Academy days and even in England squad. Also,BAros and Nando's style is very different from Owen. Owen is more reliant on his Pace, Baros is more direct and like to dribble pass his opponents, NAndo is more a hold-up and header player. Hence, Gerrard will ended pass to Baros, for him to take on players or to cross for Nando for headers etc...
    This is what I am guessing. Gerrard has more confidence where Owen is running. But not sure and baros running is unpredictable to Gerrard, rather than wasting, Gerrard is holding back 1 to 2 sec before he released the ball. Or he may even run with the ball for 5 yard.

Gerrad passsing to owen style - gerrard pass...after 1/125 sec..Owen run to anticipate.

Gerrard passing to baros, Morentes - baros and morentes start to run, 1/125 sec then Gerrard will only pass..

what do u think ?

L I V E R P O O L !!

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se
    This is what I am guessing. Gerrard has more confidence where Owen is running. But not sure and baros running is unpredictable to Gerrard, rather than wasting, Gerrard is holding back 1 to 2 sec before he released the ball. Or he may even run with the ball for 5 yard.

Gerrad passsing to owen style - gerrard pass...after 1/125 sec..Owen run to anticipate.

Gerrard passing to baros, Morentes - baros and morentes start to run, 1/125 sec then Gerrard will only pass..

what do u think ?
    Nah... i think it has more to do with the style. Baros is not the type of strikers that will catch defenders offside whereas it's bread and butter for Owen... Baros usually will like to run towards the wing and cut back in for a shot. Owen is route one towards the goalkeeper once he;s off and running.

I think Baros shd varies his run a bit. I think he can be more explosive in runnin than Owen, who had slowed down considerably.

As for Nando, he is a bit like Heskey except he is more potent and packs a more lethal shot.... He basically does well to hold up balls, look for headers etc. Hence, Gerrard has no chance to thread the balls to him.

Also, dun forget,luis garcia is playing as a playmaker, hence gerrard is less dependent on the final 1/3.

Quote Originally Posted by hisoka
    L I V E R P O O L !!
    welcome!

match tonight. Let's get the season going reds.

When you walk through a storm,
    Hold your head up high,
    And don't be afraid of the dark.
    At the end of a storm,
    There's a golden sky,
    And the sweet silver song of a lark.
    Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain,
    Though your dreams be tossed and blown..

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart,
    And you'll never walk alone.......
    You'll never walk alone.

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart,
    And you'll never walk alone.......
    You'll never walk alone

Also, dun forget,luis garcia is playing as a playmaker, hence gerrard is less dependent on the final 1/3.
    Garcia - since when we signed him...I dun rate him highly. Because
    1) if he is not in the 1st team for Baca (previous club before coming to Liverpool) he is simply not good enough
    2) if he is not good enough to play for his country, he is simply not good enough
    3) he is the 1st Liverpool No 10 in the last 20 years (or even more) that is not good enough for his country.

Then followed by his so-so performance and missed numerous of chances in front of goal, and those trick to flip the ball that 95% end up giving possesion, I really he is just another so -so player.

But his recent performance since Feb....has been going up a bit.

Hope he is a real gem who need time to settle in EPL.....

alonso is capable of making those long passes like stevie g.. hence stevie g has been given more freedom to move forward.. something which he hasnt really been doing last season..

SG has shown that he can score when moving forward too..
    sometimes when the team is not playing well.. thus we see stevie G trying to do everything by himself.. at times it works though.. so can't really blame him for doing that..

Luis G... hasn't really impress us much... let's give him some more time.. he did play under RB during the days at (Tenerif?).. there's must be something about him that RB noes..well at least he's been scoring quite a bit of goals this season...

prediction for tonight.. Liverpool 2-0 BBurn

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    oh yes, that is disgusting! hahaha!

and yes, Gerrard's the complete midfielder!!!

beckham is good at signing autographs and pepsi-cola deals.
    True. Beckham spends more time off pitch than on pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by zhapchit
    prediction for tonight.. Liverpool 2-0 BBurn
    Blackburn must be tired after last week FA Cup quarter finals. So Liverpool will win.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    oh yes, that is disgusting! hahaha!
    Basket! You suck! Wait till i lay the smackdown on you. Watched RAW just now. Batista powerbomb HHH.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Basket! You suck! Wait till i lay the smackdown on you. Watched RAW just now. Batista powerbomb HHH.
    The animal vs the game. Maybe we should keep the wrestling stuff to other thread or else later people complain later.