Page 13 of 197 FirstFirst ... 38111213141518233863 ... LastLast

Thread: LFC - You'll Never Walk Alone

hahaha..yeah... diao was his usual self... hai.. hopes baros and hamann comes in.

horrible.

1 shot on goal in the whole of the 2nd half.
    Diao confirmed my suspicion that he's from another planet.
    Josemi had his worst game ever in a Liverpool shirt.
    kewell?? Hyypia??

Traore, surprisingly, played ok!

the whole team does not know what to do at all!!! what a horrible performance. 2 or more players goin for the same aerial ball!

Benitez stunned me by naming Diao in the line-up, along with his best fren Traore...its akin to giving ourselves more troubles then we really need...
    how exciting!

any more games played by the Reds that are worst off than this particular game???? felt like slamming the whole T.V to the floor in the 2nd half... hahaha
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

lost again how come we seem to forget how to attack when playing away?
    oh well, this was one away match i wish the team could win but it's back to the drawing board again. one thing that's clear is that we're not good enough. either the players work harder and get better or we need some new faces. preferably both

maybe should get houllier back to coach the defence and benitez focus on teaching them how to attack

there's a side benefit to being liverpool fans... we had to deal with disappointment so often we'd probably have a much higher threshold for failure than most other fans
    start getting the act together already guys!!! You will never walk alone no matter what but do we always need to walk BEHIND the big clubs?
    on to next match then.....

Xabi Alonso.. those free kicks were terrible

Phildate
    Guests

Default Bottom half?

Just checked the Premiership table and looks like you're bottom half. Just made me reflect on the media and everyone's reaction to the 3-0 win in Europe and how the press and fans can get carried away with one result. I guess the same for Man Utd - great win in Europe, launch of Rooney mania, talk of the old Man U, trebles etc.....and then a dismal performance at home last night to Boro. Full marks to Steve McClaren tho...did his homework and frustrated Manure.

And then Arsneal...after the 'disgareement' on the bus the press are writing them off...and they beat Charlton in awesome style. You all must agree that Henry's backheel was top class!

Cheer up - let's all just slag off Chelsea who are fast adopting the "1-0 to the Chelsea" as their mantra.

this season is all about bonding and moulding. i hope.

better days are sure to come!

GO LIVERPOOL!!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

free kick....zone defending...a non striker from outside the box came in without any man-marking on him..and scored from a set pieces ...Deja vu ??

This is exactly how we conceded goals from MU and Chelsea. We are the only team in EPL to defend as zone defending rather than Man-marking.

Rafa insisted on the new defending method although we had lost 3 EPL games and 1 CL matches... I am not commenting that zone defending is not good. Italy national team had it to win the world cup...AC Milan had it to win CL 2 season agos. However...to teach the whole Liverpool team to learn the new method in the EPL...I am doubt they can achieve it in a short time.

Josemi was totally outbeat by Duff one of the fastest and effective winger. Luckily CHelseas does not have a right wing as MU ROnaldo...I wonder how would Traore would defend for us.

BTW....I am shocked to see Diao and Traore on the starting 11.
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 4th October 2004 at 01:06 PM.

you can't teach an old dog new tricks? dunno, zone defending has it's uses but it has the risk of being predictable. opponents can always use a late runner in and if you're not paying attention...bang! defenders need to be sharp.
    the defending is a problem but the bigger concern really is the overall quality of play. they ran around like headless chickens and created no opportunity of note.
    if the team played well and conceded a soft goal, that's not so bad, but we played badly and deserved to lose. and it wasn't just this one time either.
    it looks like it's gonna take time for the players to learn to play proper football. well, this is only the first season so let's hope they get better. i do hope by christmas, the team would show some semblance of unity and play as a unit.
    i still think hamann and alonso are best combi we have at the moment and diao can go play for SAFFC for all i care. I wouldn't trust traore to defend a chicken coop from a fox, much less the liverpool goal from chelsea.
    We can only hope......

sigh i was shocked when i saw diao on the starting line up..
    what i thought was (i didn't watch a single liverpool game until last nite)
    the passing was better than houllier's era..
    the defence..well..josemi was lost..
    traore...everytime he plays..he sends shiver down my spine.
    hyppia ok only
    carragher was the only one fighting..

alonso's free kick was atrocious...i am starting to miss murphy
    kewell still off form..but at least he headed the ball off the line
    riise ok..
    diao - a big piece of s***

garcia...he kinda reminds me of mcmanaman
    cisse...think he will be better in years to come.

really need to have a good defence with anchorman to cover for the central defenders.

till now i still prefer the babbel-henchoz-hyppia-carragher combination.
    Confidence is thinking you'll be Champions, arrogance is stating it.

I was wondering when people were going to start turning on Benitez.

ha ha, don't you know? liverpool has one official manager and millions of unofficial managers based all over the world
    well, it was disappointing stuff at stamford bridge and there's definitely room for improvement. i guess everybody was disappointed at the stuff dished out by the team and many disagreed with the selection of diao and traore. of course, rafa would know best and it was perhaps a gamble by him to bring in the second stringers and hope that they play their hearts out. understandable, but these two had never won the hearts of any liverpool fans i know as they seem lack commitment when they play (lack ability is not so bad but you must be willing to try hard for the team). it would have been forgivable had it been warnock, mellor and welsh as these were youngsters and lack experience, but for two "seniors", these players had never shown themselves worthy of the red shirt on their backs. i hope they prove me wrong but......
    as for zone defending and benitez's other new tactics, they will need time to adapt but you have to admit, it's frustrating watching them stumble. they really need to get the mistakes out of their system. one thing though, they do pass better now.
    Last edited by giddygoat; 4th October 2004 at 11:10 PM.

i must admit, i missed murphy. he's no right winger and perhaps not the most visionary player in the world, but when you need someone who runs his heart out for the team and then run some more, you can't go wrong with murphy. he would have been a nice sub to have on the bench to add some energy to the side when things are going badly.

Hey no, I'm not knocking anyone's prerogative to question the manager, I'm just quite tickled. Wong Se and I were having a running discussion because he couldn't wait to see the back of Houllier, and then was all positive about Benitez even before the first competitive game of the season had been played. Evidently he's decided to return to type though

I was wondering when people were going to start turning on Benitez.
    During the times under Roy Evans, Liverpool had never finished 5th and below..and never finish the season that Liverpool is closer to the relegation zone rather than champion (in terms of point difference).

yet he had to go after near 4 years.

Houllier finished the 2003/2003 season at 5th place. Finished the 2003/2004 season where we were closer to the relegation zone. and he had to go.

I will start turning on Benitez if this season we are doing worse than 2003/2004. Which mean benitez did not improve the squad and/or performance at all from the squad inherited from Houllier, yet to add more destroy..

Seriously...I am sure zone defending is a good defending method...AC Milan, Valencia and Italy proved it. But I am not sure Benitez can have the time to cultivate this method to the current liverpool squad ???

Don't think we shd be too harsh. Give the man some time to work it out. He can;t perform magic as our players are just not good enough. Yes, i have said it. Pure and simple. We are lacking in class player.

I think only 3-4 players in our side will be in Arsenal 1st team. Probably Gerard, Alonso, Cisse and Baros. The rest will prob just sit on the bench and watch....

The biggest problem is we lack the old head or experience, when we won the UEFA cup, we had McAllister and Jari, that knew how to win. I can still remember fondly of the McAllister goal against Everton as well as the Alaves UEFA cup final.

The key is to be patient and get some experience. Liverpool always seems unwilling to give the older player a chance, players like Di Canio, Mendieta or even Rivaldo (Olympiakos) can help to calm the team. True, they may not be able to play 90 mins but i think their contribution will be good. You look at how Southgate marshall the defence and compare with Carragher's panicky but admitted well timed tackles (one of the most experienced liverpool player as he around the same time as Fowler)

Not looking very promising so far. But the 3 defeats were away to Manyoo Chelski and err yes.. Bolton(oh well they drew with manyoo and the gunners). Our home form is much better but of cos they were victories over lesser opponents. Looking at Chelsea's squad and Arsenal's form, i think finish 3rd this season would be quite an achievement for RB already. Give the man some time. Like he said, the International breaks has taken much time away from him for him to work on the team.

YNWA

actually, i would blame the euro2004 more than anything. and the board of directors. the club took it's time to appoint a new manager and with the euro 2004 cutting in between the midseason, rafa never really had a chance to work with the team until a few weeks before the season began. that was not ideal.
    admittedly, the players were on a post-season break then and so rafa can't do much training even if he had been appointed early but he could lay the groundwork, establish a working staff and even meet and talk to players who were in the country then.
    this poor guy had but two months in the hot seat and let's face it, liverpool were never the most tactically astute (more of a one-trick pony, really) and the players were good but lacking technically. it's an english league disease, i find, and to be succesful, teams need to work hard to add the kind of tactical astuteness and technique that we now see in arsenal, man utd and chelsea.
    mourinho may gloat about how good he is, but ranieri did the vital groundwork and taught the players how to play together. and money brought in many top-class players who added their experience and guile to the mix and the likes of lampard and terry learned from that and added their steel and spirit to the games.
    alonso, garcia and josemi are very good players and they would add much to the team but they are relatively inexperienced in the big stage as well, and are still learning the ropes. you really cannot compare them to the experience that the likes of desailly, makelele and zola contributed to the team.
    i just hope the team continues to improve. it's okay to be outplayed as long as the team tried hard and continue to learn from their mistakes but we need to cut out the amateurish defensive errors and stop constantly giving the ball away cheaply.
    i hope we can make it to the champions league next season. if not, too bad. but i do hope there will be much improvements by next season. i must say, i am heartened by the way the team played some of the matches and if they can play consistently like that, the future looks good.
    that's my 2cents anyway...
    Last edited by giddygoat; 5th October 2004 at 04:02 PM.

anyway, maybe the reason they played badly away and could not score was due to houllier's training. his away tactics involved booting the ball away when it's near your goal and trying to aim long searching balls to michael owen. maybe the lads are a bit confused when they look up and couldn't find mikey anywhere on the field.

our squad is not huge and any injury to the key players are going to hurt the team