Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDR Landscape. Help !

Default HDR Landscape. Help !

I really want to know if most photographer would HDR their landscape photos ?
    How to make landscape photos look even more dramatic?
    Do your just leave the landscape photo just as it is ?
    What must i do to HDR landscape photos ? Example : Sunrise shots or sunsets.
    PhotoPixels.Tumblr.Com

It's definitely not a must.

Lifted from Wikipedia:
    "In image processing, computer graphics, and photography, high-dynamic-range imaging (HDRI or just HDR) is a set of techniques that allow a greater dynamic range of luminance between the lightest and darkest areas of an image than current standard digital imaging techniques or photographic methods. This wide dynamic range allows HDR images to more accurately represent the range of intensity levels found in real scenes, ranging from direct sunlight to faint starlight."

If you want to capture sunrise or sunset with the landscape in silhouette. You probably won't need HDR.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Default Re: HDR Landscape. Help !

- really depend on what and how you want to capture the landscape because not everything when do hdr will come out nice.

-normally up contrast but there are many other ways as well

- for me i will usually touch up in ps

-more touch up work to be done in cs, like how u wan the clouds to be like, the colour and everything

i dun do HDR. cos i know i sucks at it. on and off i will attempt one or two when I think there is a need but i definitely dun HDR-ed all my photos.

I suck at post-processing. so I prefer to get it "right" in-camera. :P
    Alpha

really want to know if most photographer would HDR their landscape photos ?
    most of my photography peers don't HDR their landscape photos, it really depend if there's enough contrast in a scene to make the HDR stand out in the first place

beside HDR, you can play with the channels as well

usually will touch up and tweak the channels

You can go on to youtube and find some video tutorial to follow, they definitely can explain better than me here
    Playing with M43.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I suck at post-processing. so I prefer to get it "right" in-camera. :P
    If it's of any comfort, nowadays Sony cameras can do HDR.. haha
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Quote Originally Posted by AndersPixlr View Post
    I HDR only when it is required these days. In the past when using the old Pentax K100D with a very limited dynamic range, I HDR a lot. Still, I tried to keep things true to the eye. There are situations where other tools like GND will not help, due to the nature of the scene.

An alternative to HDR is exposure blending. This involves stacking photos in layers and erasing the relevant areas to make sure the parts you want exposed based on the correct photographic exposure are revealed accordingly.

Some recent situations where I had to use HDR, usually relevant to cityscapes - if you use a GND you will darken even the buildings.

(3 stop GND used, still need to bracket 3 exposures +1 EV in between)

(2 stop GND used, with 3 exposures, 1 EV in between)

(2 stop GND used, can't remember information)

(HDR from single RAW exposure)

HDR set
    Digital Blending set

Hope this helps.

I tot one of these photo is a prize winner??
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

is HDR a program or camera setting ???

Quote Originally Posted by tweakmax2 View Post
    is HDR a program or camera setting ???
    Quote from Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_imaging
    HDR is a set of techniques that allow a greater dynamic range of luminance between the lightest and darkest areas of an image than current standard digital imaging techniques or photographic methods.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    I tot one of these photo is a prize winner??

so is my understanding correct? that exposure blending ensures an even exposure through out, while hdr keeps the relative brightness of the dark regions and bright regions the same, while getting more detail into them?

enlighten me pls

Yep. I read. However, is it my normal shot photos can use HDR software to get the effect. Or must I take 2 photos of the same scene with over and under exposure

Quote Originally Posted by tweakmax2 View Post
    Yep. I read. However, is it my normal shot photos can use HDR software to get the effect. Or must I take 2 photos of the same scene with over and under exposure
    HDR usually requires 3 (or at least 2) shots with different exposure (as in +-EV). I've seen many use 1 raw file to do HDR too...but debates goes on to say using 1 raw file is not HDR...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    HDR usually requires 3 (or at least 2) shots with different exposure (as in +-EV). I've seen many use 1 raw file to do HDR too...but debates goes on to say using 1 raw file is not HDR...
    RAW file contains slightly more dynamic range than a JPG file.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    so is my understanding correct? that exposure blending ensures an even exposure through out, while hdr keeps the relative brightness of the dark regions and bright regions the same, while getting more detail into them?

enlighten me pls
    I'm not sure about how HDR works, but suffice to say, they try to achieve the same ends. I'm not sure that I'm interested in finding out how they get there, actually, or if it even matters to me as a photographer.

feel free to look at my hdr pics too

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=hdr&...s=int&ss=2&z=e

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I'm not sure about how HDR works, but suffice to say, they try to achieve the same ends. I'm not sure that I'm interested in finding out how they get there, actually, or if it even matters to me as a photographer.
    erm. what is the end? cause i'm still kinda lost with regards to this.

if lets say, exposure blending, i get the bright as not so bright, dark as not so dark, ie: it seems well exposed throughout.

but hdr: the brights are still brights, darks are still darks, just that i can see more details in them.

is it correct? cause if thats the case, its 2 really different ends for 2 different reasons why i might use them...

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I HDR only when it is required these days. In the past when using the old Pentax K100D with a very limited dynamic range, I HDR a lot. Still, I tried to keep things true to the eye. There are situations where other tools like GND will not help, due to the nature of the scene.

An alternative to HDR is exposure blending. This involves stacking photos in layers and erasing the relevant areas to make sure the parts you want exposed based on the correct photographic exposure are revealed accordingly.

Some recent situations where I had to use HDR, usually relevant to cityscapes - if you use a GND you will darken even the buildings.

(3 stop GND used, still need to bracket 3 exposures +1 EV in between)

(2 stop GND used, with 3 exposures, 1 EV in between)

(2 stop GND used, can't remember information)

(HDR from single RAW exposure)

HDR set
    Digital Blending set

Hope this helps.

I thought the last pic was by night86mare? Are you saying that this simage is taken by you?
    Inferiority Complex Behavior Signature: A900.D3x.M9..I have this and that blah blah...

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    erm. what is the end? cause i'm still kinda lost with regards to this.

if lets say, exposure blending, i get the bright as not so bright, dark as not so dark, ie: it seems well exposed throughout.

but hdr: the brights are still brights, darks are still darks, just that i can see more details in them.

is it correct? cause if thats the case, its 2 really different ends for 2 different reasons why i might use them...
    Exposure blending is really down to the photographer to making decisions where to brighten and darken.
    Photodoto Exposure Blending Tutorial

whilst HDR is usually a program which will automatically blend exposures and produce results based on the photographer's tone mapping settings.
    Stuck in Customs HDR Tutorial

Different tools for same/different results. All depends on the user.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast