Thread: Gels with Softbox?

vince123123
    Guests

Default Gels with Softbox?

Anyone knows whether its possible to use colour gels with a softbox? If so, how does one go about doing it?

I noticed that use of colour gels is usually with an open reflector rather than with a softbox. it also seems difficult (though not impossible) to insert a gel between the flash and the softbox.

any ideas?

You can use masking tape and stick the gel to the side of the softbox. You will need a slightly bigger gel than the standard ones for the reflector.

Try it out!

Cheers!

just clip the gel to the side of your strobe without the softbox. Move your light further away from your subject and re-meter

vince123123
    Guests

The problem is that the flash tube extends into the softbox, so are you saying that I have to cover/wrap around the entire flash head with gel and then put the softbox onto the flash?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamseeker
    You can use masking tape and stick the gel to the side of the softbox. You will need a slightly bigger gel than the standard ones for the reflector.

Try it out!

Cheers!

vince123123
    Guests

how do i use the softbox then?

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    just clip the gel to the side of your strobe without the softbox. Move your light further away from your subject and re-meter

basically .. you dun use the softbox. to make your light look softer, you move your lights away OR attach a diffuser gel with your colored gel

vince123123
    Guests

so no way to use softbox with gel? which was my original question actually :P

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    basically .. you dun use the softbox. to make your light look softer, you move your lights away OR attach a diffuser gel with your colored gel

What I do is set-up the softbox on the Flash. Then open up the outer fabric which normally attact via velcro so can see what I am doing.

Place/stick the color gel with masking tape to the side of the soft box so that it still clears the tube. The gel would be at least A4 size.

Then close back the fabric. Works quite ok for me.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    The problem is that the flash tube extends into the softbox, so are you saying that I have to cover/wrap around the entire flash head with gel and then put the softbox onto the flash?

Dreamseeker's method is workable

vince123123
    Guests

after some thinking and dreamseeker's help, I think i gotten a good starting pt to test out stuffs. tks to dreamseeker and sniperd for their comments

Colour gels are normally use with a 45-60 degree reflectors. If you wan to soften the lighting, then either use a tracer or bounce the light. (Bounce does not mean you have to bounce up towards the ceiling. Just get a white mounting board card to bounce wherever you want to.

Using a softbox will just totally diffuse the colour gels. However you still can use it too by placing the gel inside the softbox but the whole subject will be litted up with the colour you put on to. So you must have another strobe to compensate or else your subject will be too monotone.

There are warm and cool colour gels. So sometimes you need to increase or decrease the power of the strobes depending the colours that you use. As some gels absorb more lights. That you have to experiment yourself.

Distance and angle of each strobes with colour gels is important as well. This will enable you to control the amount of colour fallen on your subject.

And you can add multiple gels on one soft box if you know how to control it.

LEE Filters are heat proof but not fire proof. So you can use those filters as it last for a very long time. I have using it for more than 7 years and after so much wear and tear, all the filters are still in good shape.
    Last edited by Pro Image; 16th August 2004 at 01:18 PM.