Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: 35mm help!

  1. #1

    Question 35mm help!

    Hello all! I'm using a d5000 and i've been considering getting a 35mm lens for walk about / portrait photography. However i'm torn between the 35mm f2.0 (for full frame) and the 35mm f1.8g lens. I understand that if i get the f2.0 i'll have around a 50mm lens but i'm okay with it (i do better with manual focus too). the problem here is i'm not sure which lens has better optical quality or bokeh. there's also the sigma 30mm but the price is putting me off. oh well.. how?

  2. #2
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: 35mm help!

    get the 35mm f1.8. It's designed for DX sensor. You can practise manual focus on it too.

    Not that great for Bokeh, however.
    Last edited by ovaltinemilo; 5th April 2011 at 08:32 PM.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  3. #3

    Default Re: 35mm help!

    Quote Originally Posted by jrhellboy View Post
    Hello all! I'm using a d5000 and i've been considering getting a 35mm lens for walk about / portrait photography. However i'm torn between the 35mm f2.0 (for full frame) and the 35mm f1.8g lens. I understand that if i get the f2.0 i'll have around a 50mm lens but i'm okay with it (i do better with manual focus too). the problem here is i'm not sure which lens has better optical quality or bokeh. there's also the sigma 30mm but the price is putting me off. oh well.. how?
    Just one clarification, whether you get the 35mm f2 or the 35mm f1.8, you will still get around a 50mm equivalent.

  4. #4
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: 35mm help!

    This link crystalises several big reviews of the 35mm f1.8 including the one by Bjørn Rørslett

    http://www.dpnotes.com/nikon-35mm-f18g-reviews/

    Looks like it is a winner in many departments. Small price, and can be "used" on FX, and even if you want to switch to an FX lens, the price tag is not too painful.

    Ryan

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default Re: 35mm help!

    Losing AF can be quite annoying. If I were you, I'll just go for 35mm F/1.8G.

  6. #6
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 35mm help!

    Quote Originally Posted by jrhellboy View Post
    Hello all! I'm using a d5000 and i've been considering getting a 35mm lens for walk about / portrait photography. However i'm torn between the 35mm f2.0 (for full frame) and the 35mm f1.8g lens. I understand that if i get the f2.0 i'll have around a 50mm lens but i'm okay with it (i do better with manual focus too). the problem here is i'm not sure which lens has better optical quality or bokeh. there's also the sigma 30mm but the price is putting me off. oh well.. how?
    Both lenses are 35mm. Irregardless of whether they are DX or FX lenses, they are still 35mm. So both lenses on your camera will give you the same FOV of 52mm. 35/2 do not have a built in AF motor, so it will not AF on your D5000. The 35/1.8 has AF motor, so it will AF with your D5000. And seriously speaking, the 35/1.8 is actually sharper and cheaper than the 35/2.

    But if you still like the 35/2 more and prefer to do manual focusing, it is your call too.

  7. #7

    Default Re: 35mm help!

    Quote Originally Posted by jrhellboy View Post
    Hello all! I'm using a d5000 and i've been considering getting a 35mm lens for walk about / portrait photography. However i'm torn between the 35mm f2.0 (for full frame) and the 35mm f1.8g lens. I understand that if i get the f2.0 i'll have around a 50mm lens but i'm okay with it (i do better with manual focus too). the problem here is i'm not sure which lens has better optical quality or bokeh. there's also the sigma 30mm but the price is putting me off. oh well.. how?
    the 35mm f/2 looks better on the design...
    i will personally prefers the f/2...
    the f1.8 looks funny... so its out for me if i am to buy either of these 2 lens...
    its true how the lens look dont play a part in picture taking...
    but i just like my stuff to looks nice...
    life is but a dream...

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion

    the 35mm f/2 looks better on the design...
    i will personally prefers the f/2...
    the f1.8 looks funny... so its out for me if i am to buy either of these 2 lens...
    its true how the lens look dont play a part in picture taking...
    but i just like my stuff to looks nice...
    Must consider his body also, got looks but no AF is like paying more for less leh.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 35mm help!

    Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    the 35mm f/2 looks better on the design...
    i will personally prefers the f/2...
    the f1.8 looks funny... so its out for me if i am to buy either of these 2 lens...
    its true how the lens look dont play a part in picture taking...
    but i just like my stuff to looks nice...
    looks? based decisions on looks of the equipment? wow!

    Now that is taking "jewellery" up to a whole new level.

    LOL.

    BTW, my condolences.

  10. #10
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: 35mm help!

    Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    the 35mm f/2 looks better on the design...
    i will personally prefers the f/2...
    the f1.8 looks funny... so its out for me if i am to buy either of these 2 lens...
    its true how the lens look dont play a part in picture taking...
    but i just like my stuff to looks nice...
    I prefer it to look uglier while producing prettier results.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  11. #11
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: 35mm help!

    Quote Originally Posted by jrhellboy View Post
    Hello all! I'm using a d5000 and i've been considering getting a 35mm lens for walk about / portrait photography. However i'm torn between the 35mm f2.0 (for full frame) and the 35mm f1.8g lens. I understand that if i get the f2.0 i'll have around a 50mm lens but i'm okay with it (i do better with manual focus too). the problem here is i'm not sure which lens has better optical quality or bokeh. there's also the sigma 30mm but the price is putting me off. oh well.. how?
    I would recommend AFS 35/1.8G because you get AF capability and it's a real value-for-money lens. Heard many good things about sigma 30/1.4, which you can consider if your budget can stretch for it.
    Basically I feel that it's between these 2 choices.
    35/2 would not be on my shortlist, esp to pair with a D5000.
    Exploring! :)

  12. #12
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: 35mm help!

    Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    get the 35mm f1.8. It's designed for DX sensor. You can practise manual focus on it too.

    Not that great for Bokeh, however.
    bro how come you say bokeh not that great? Specifically the smoothness or the fact that DOF is not very thin?
    35 on DX gets you thin DOF only if you go rather close to subject. Stand more than 3m away and you're practically going towards infinity focus, thus DOF is not very thin.
    Exploring! :)

  13. #13

    Default Re: 35mm help!

    Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    the 35mm f/2 looks better on the design...
    i will personally prefers the f/2...
    the f1.8 looks funny... so its out for me if i am to buy either of these 2 lens...
    its true how the lens look dont play a part in picture taking...
    but i just like my stuff to looks nice...
    Wow, look over performance? Like DD123 said, my condolences. Why not you buy the f1.8 then stick glitter all over it and make it "bling"?

  14. #14
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: 35mm help!

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Wow, look over performance? Like DD123 said, my condolences. Why not you buy the f1.8 then stick glitter all over it and make it "bling"?
    If I buy some crystals and stick them on the lens, will the photos have more bling?
    Exploring! :)

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra

    If I buy some crystals and stick them on the lens, will the photos have more bling?
    Haha maybe through the reflection and refraction of light through your crystals, it might work

  16. #16

    Default Re: 35mm help!

    just get the 35 f/1.8 ... doesn't make sense to get a more expensive 35 f/2 that can't AF right? unless you have the intention to sell your D5K within a fortnight and purchase a FF camera after getting the 35 f/2
    Playing with M43.

  17. #17
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: 35mm help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Akatsuki View Post
    just get the 35 f/1.8 ... doesn't make sense to get a more expensive 35 f/2 that can't AF right? unless you have the intention to sell your D5K within a fortnight and purchase a FF camera after getting the 35 f/2
    By the way, I got my 35 f/1.8 in Shanghai. Cheaper by $100 (I think... can't remember). They are made there anyway.

  18. #18
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai

    By the way, I got my 35 f/1.8 in Shanghai. Cheaper by $100 (I think... can't remember). They are made there anyway.
    Not really by $100. Price is 1300 rmb without warranty. With warranty add 4.5% for the fa piao. But also depends on the exchange rate.

    And ya, the 35/1.8 is made in Nikon's factory in Wuxi, Jiangsu province IIRC.

  19. #19

    Default Re: 35mm help!

    Hello! And i've decided to get the 35mm f1.8g. haha. THANKS MUCH!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •