Thread: Which lens to use for night shoot - Paris + various Italian cities

Default Which lens to use for night shoot - Paris + various Italian cities

Hi Seniors

I would like to do some travel shoot in France/Italy especially doing nite scene there. So can senior advise which lens will be good enough. Currently I have the norm 18-55mm and I addedd 70-300mm to my lens family.

Recently did a night shoot with my 18-55mm len of the MBS but was disappointed with the result. I was advised by my friend to invest in a f1.8 lens for night shoot.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Dayan

Default Re: Which lens to use for night shoot - Paris + various Italian cities

Quote Originally Posted by Dayan View Post
    Hi Seniors

I would like to do some travel shoot in France/Italy especially doing nite scene there. So can senior advise which lens will be good enough. Currently I have the norm 18-55mm and I addedd 70-300mm to my lens family.

Recently did a night shoot with my 18-55mm len of the MBS but was disappointed with the result. I was advised by my friend to invest in a f1.8 lens for night shoot.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Dayan
    This short article summarises everything you need to know about night photography.

http://www.digitalphotographybasics....t-photography/

Your 2 lenses should be sufficient unless you want to shoot wider. Fast lenses not very useful for outdoor night scenes.

something wider will be good..

-canon 10-22
    -tokina 11-16
    -sigma 10-20

you choose. and fast lenses are definitely useful in outdoor night scenes BUT it is not a must have~

Hi Seniors

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Dayan
    Depends on what you are shooting. For landscapes or buildings, a sturdy tripod will work much better for longer exposures, and a larger aperture lens will not solve much of the problem unless u intend to handhold and snap without any regards for deeper depth of field ..

Ryan

Hi All Seniors

Thanks for all the advice. Intend to shoot landscape, building etc and I will bring along my tripod as I learnt from my experience from the nite MBS shoot, hand were shaky as I had relatively a longer exposure.

Ryan - So with a longer aperture and with the help of the tripod, would it help?

The shots I took with the 18-55mm did not look sharpe. So can I do these for nite shoot (of course try to adjust accoridng to condition)?

1) set high ISO (800 ok?)
    2) EV -0.3
    3) any other advise please let me know.

Apologies for so many question as I am still in infant stage. Quite an art I must say.

Hi All Seniors

Thanks for all the advice. Intend to shoot landscape, building etc and I will bring along my tripod as I learnt from my experience from the nite MBS shoot, hand were shaky as I had relatively a longer exposure.

Ryan - So with a longer aperture and with the help of the tripod, would it help?

The shots I took with the 18-55mm did not look sharpe. So can I do these for nite shoot (of course try to adjust accoridng to condition)?

2) EV -0.3

Apologies for so many question as I am still in infant stage. Quite an art I must say.
    1) set camera on tripod = use ISO 100/base ISO
    2) no such guideline. learn to adapt to different situations and use the appropriate settings.
    3) as per 2)

2) EV -0.3
    Hi Dayan, all of us started from a newbie some point or the other.

Think of
    - shutter speed
    - aperture
    - ISO settings

As a triangular inflexible band that forms the basis of exposure
    Any side you pull , something of the two has to compensate to make up the same exposure.

But each change in the 3 components will bring about a different image characteristics (which may or may not be desirable ). Example :
    Shutter speed too low - motion blur for moving objects
    Aperture large - thin depth of field, small - deep depth of field
    ISO too high - noisy pictures
    ( there are other little changes that you will find interesting to learn and pick up as u read and shoot more )

A longer exposure on a stable tripod for a static subject will help prevent camera shake from ur handholding and getting you a sharper photo. You need a longer exposure time because the environment is darker, so as to take in more light

Try to use the base (lower) ISO. Which is often the cleanest. Usually ISO 100 or even 200. ( When the ISO goes up, sensitivity of the sensor is driven up at the expense of noise in the image, but allows you to use shorter shutter speeds )

Exposure settings depends on the scene

I cannot think of any other thing offhand except :
    - paying attention to composition
    - try to shoot near dusk to get better colors in the skies
    - focus accurately, may be less applicable since now liveview is a boon to focusing, was horrid last time when i was shooting in darkness via the viewfinder
    - stablised shooting on a tripod or sturdy surface, and even consider mirror lock up or time remote shooting to reduce vibrations even further - I find it abit too much actually heh

And many more that i cannot remember, or i am still in process of learning and discovering One must never lose creativity.

Ryan