Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3678910 LastLast

Thread: The new Sigma 85mm 1.4 for Pentax

Default Re: The new Sigma 85mm 1.4 for Pentax

Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    Ok 1 thing i dun understand... why got so many nose bleed... i am a man also... but i dun feel any excitment
    Chee Leng, certain part of you, not functioning, lol.......

marcus

Quote Originally Posted by CorneliusK View Post
    Th FA 85 is really very intriguing to me, perhaps because its so rare and I have never tried it. Still, the lens that makes me the most frustrated about Pentax's lack of a digital full frame is the FA 31....
    im lazy to put 1 example up in flickr but if you look at #63 in my portraits section(ok my gallery is not updated for donkey years just ignored the rest).. its the closes example to the tunnel shot i can think of in terms of space and background proximity, its taken at the curve thingie in clark quay... its FA85 at f2 btw... just think of it in FF will blow your mind...

ppl say image that "pops" is 1 with good bokeh which i dun agree.... they gotto to look at what FA77 and FA85 does its just magic...The rendering its just so 3D...

miss my FA85 already...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

Quote Originally Posted by seefei View Post
    i know TWO good reasons why!
    Quote Originally Posted by otc View Post
    Chee Leng, certain part of you, not functioning, lol.......

marcus
    hey still rocking ok... next yr going for #3 if all goes to plan...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    im lazy to put 1 example up in flickr but if you look at #63 in my portraits section(ok my gallery is not updated for donkey years just ignored the rest).. its the closes example to the tunnel shot i can think of in terms of space and background proximity, its taken at the curve thingie in clark quay... its FA85 at f2 btw... just think of it in FF will blow your mind...

ppl say image that "pops" is 1 with good bokeh which i dun agree.... they gotto to look at what FA77 and FA85 does its just magic...The rendering its just so 3D...

miss my FA85 already...
    I agree that there is something special about the rendering. Its somehow... different. I know my FA 77 is able to do it but I cannot really consistently achieve it (although I don't really use it much, its too tight for me on APS-C)

A lot of it has to do with lighting as well - Your shots are really good in that respect! *bows down before the master*

My take on bokeh is - good bokeh helps a bit to make the subject pop, but bad bokeh can really distract away from the subject!

Ok I realise this photo is terrible at demonstrating my point since most people's eyes will be looking somewhere else, but good lord look at the terrible bokeh on the top right. (clarify - taken with the AF-D 50, not the sigma 85)
    Last edited by CorneliusK; 16th July 2011 at 06:22 AM.

I agree that there is something special about the rendering. Its somehow... different. I know my FA 77 is able to do it but I cannot really consistently achieve it (although I don't really use it much, its too tight for me on APS-C)

A lot of it has to do with lighting as well - Your shots are really good in that respect! *bows down before the master*

My take on bokeh is - good bokeh helps a bit to make the subject pop, but bad bokeh can really distract away from the subject!

Ok I realise this photo is terrible at demonstrating my point since most people's eyes will be looking somewhere else, but good lord look at the terrible bokeh on the top right. (clarify - taken with the AF-D 50, not the sigma 85)

Thumbs up for this 1, i really love it!
    Its one of the few times i actually like a slanted composition, coz imho, it works!

FA85.. tried it just the once, and wow. Both shots at f2.

The lens is big (relative to my DA70 which I'm used to) but well balanced. Sorry, no SYT pictures. :P

[QUOTE=CorneliusK;7322632]
    .........Ok I realise this photo is terrible at demonstrating my point since most people's eyes will be looking somewhere else, but good lord look at the terrible bokeh on the top right. (clarify - taken with the AF-D 50, not the sigma 85)[/QUOTE]

That explains it . He he

what's distracting about that photo is NOT the bokeh, for sure! Haha!

But i get your point... something to do with making the main subject stand out but the top right part of that photo is just trying that little bit harder to grab a little of the limelight.

Quote Originally Posted by le petit prince View Post
    FA85.. tried it just the once, and wow. Both shots at f2.

The lens is big (relative to my DA70 which I'm used to) but well balanced. Sorry, no SYT pictures. :P
    I find 85mm is a great focal length for portrait - be it shoulder, half body or full body. For me, it is better than 50mm but of course the shooting environment will to a certain extent, dictate which is the best focal length to use.

I would love to try the FA85 too
    Last edited by zoom3; 19th July 2011 at 12:02 AM.

[QUOTE=GSiGuy;7325419]what's distracting about that photo is NOT the bokeh, for sure! Haha!

But i get your point... something to do with making the main subject stand out but the top right part of that photo is just trying that little bit harder to grab a little of the limelight.[/QUOBright TE]

Bright lights shining through leaves is always challenge from a bokeh perspective. Choosing a good background to bokeh is important. Just as important as choosing a background to show. Strong contrasting colours should also be avoided as it will distract even though it is blur.

But I have to say different people like different type of bokeh. Quite subjective. Following are examples of what I like, all taken with the Sigma 85 @ F1.4. of course. No PP trickery here .

1)

2)

@zoom3, now thats what i'm talking about!! hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    @zoom3, now thats what i'm talking about!! hahaha

I'm glad you like them

I'm just seeing stars...

Ha ha. She is indeed a "Star" quality model

Wah, so many views. Thanks everyone for dropping by.

Have been mainly using other lenses in recent times but here is one from the 85mm which I like. My wish now is to have a FF cam to make full use of it.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom3 View Post
    Wah, so many views. Thanks everyone for dropping by.

Have been mainly using other lenses in recent times but here is one from the 85mm which I like. My wish now is to have a FF cam to make full use of it.
    Shoot with a Film SLR then

You need the DA*55mm, roughly same FOV as the sigma 85mm on FF.

Film just too much hassle for me

Quote Originally Posted by gtl1987
    You need the DA*55mm, roughly same FOV as the sigma 85mm on FF.
    It's not the same. An 85mm (or longer) pulls in more detail than a 50-55mm as you bring the image closer. Regardless of cropped or ff

Have shot enough to know what this excellent lens can do at F1.4 so now shoot more at smaller aperture to make sure unique moments are not missed. But if the situation calls for a F1.4 shot, I know it will perform .

Here is one at F6.3 to ensure the subject is nice and sharp. The contrasting colours help to make the subject stands out

1)

2) This one @F2.8

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3678910 LastLast