Thread: Question on ISO

Default Question on ISO

I read somewhere that if its on a bright day we should set our iso at 200 or 400 and if dim conditions its 800. But i realised when i faced low light conditions i will bump up my iso more than 800 so that my shutter speed is fast enough.

Any pointers on what i did wrong?

Im on aperture priority setting whereby my shutter speed is auto and i control my aperture and iso.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using ClubSNAP

First under what does ISO do for you. In the nutshell you are correct about bright day and darkroom, but read more to understand better.

Aperture priority mode will not work if your current aperture cannot expose properly at a certain lowest or highest shutter speed (depends on settings). You can either bump your iso further or switch to M mode to manually set your shutter speed + use a tripod or support.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Default Re: Question on ISO

Quote Originally Posted by FuraCelest View Post
    I read somewhere that if its on a bright day we should set our iso at 200 or 400 and if dim conditions its 800. But i realised when i faced low light conditions i will bump up my iso more than 800 so that my shutter speed is fast enough.

Im on aperture priority setting whereby my shutter speed is auto and i control my aperture and iso.

Thanks.

Hi Newbie here, but just to understand more.

What is the shutterspeed you are using ? If your shutter speed is fast ,and apperture is fixed, I think the ISO will need to be high to compensate.

Hope this help .

Cheers

Thanks.

Hi FuraCelest, may be this will help:

http://www.bananamana.com/photograph...o-o466-en.html

Quote: Willy Foo Photography Class

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye
    First under what does ISO do for you. In the nutshell you are correct about bright day and darkroom, but read more to understand better.

Aperture priority mode will not work if your current aperture cannot expose properly at a certain lowest or highest shutter speed (depends on settings). You can either bump your iso further or switch to M mode to manually set your shutter speed + use a tripod or support.
    Oh ok thanks alot

Quote Originally Posted by naruto4836

Hi Newbie here, but just to understand more.

What is the shutterspeed you are using ? If your shutter speed is fast ,and apperture is fixed, I think the ISO will need to be high to compensate.

Hope this help .

Cheers
    Oh my shutterspeed is on auto. I control the apeture and iso. I usually bump up my iso to quite high to achieve the shutter speed that i need.

you don't have to run to another website to get topics on Camera Basics.

they're right here in this Newbies Sub-forum.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...es-For-Newbies

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309
    you don't have to run to another website to get topics on Camera Basics.

they're right here in this Newbies Sub-forum.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...es-For-Newbies
    Oh ok thanks. Will read thoroughly

Yes, you are looking for magic number .. that doesn't exist. Do read about ISO in general and the main side effect of high ISO: picture noise. If there is any guideline then rather: use the lowest possible ISO to avoid noise. Increase ISO only as much as necessary. Use a tripod if possible. Shoot RAW and do the noise removal later.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine
    Yes, you are looking for magic number .. that doesn't exist. Do read about ISO in general and the main side effect of high ISO: picture noise. If there is any guideline then rather: use the lowest possible ISO to avoid noise. Increase ISO only as much as necessary. Use a tripod if possible. Shoot RAW and do the noise removal later.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by FuraCelest

Thanks.

What body are you using huh? Some cam body also can auto iso u just change aperture in "p" mode and the cam will maintain correct exposure for u including iso setting..
    life is but a dream...

Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion

What body are you using huh? Some cam body also can auto iso u just change aperture in "p" mode and the cam will maintain correct exposure for u including iso setting..
    Oh im using a d90. And it has a P mode which i have yet to try

Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    Oh im using a d90. And it has a P mode which i have yet to try
    P Mode is Program Auto Exposure mode. along with other brands of cameras, P Mode usually allows the user to just change the ISO. the Shutter Speed and f-Stop will be calculated by the camera based on the ISO and Lighting Conditions.

A Mode and S Mode allows the user to change 2 parameters, for the former it's f-Stop and ISO, and for the latter it's Shutter Speed and ISO. the remaining parameter (either f-Stop or Shutter Speed) would then be decided upon by the camera.

and if you set the ISO to Auto ISO, then the camera would automatically select the ISO for you. no AE Mode would control the ISO for you unless you're using Auto or Scene Selection.... or you've set your camera to ISO Auto.

M Mode would be full manual, where all 3 parameters are decided upon by the camera user.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309

P Mode is Program Auto Exposure mode. along with other brands of cameras, P Mode usually allows the user to just change the ISO. the Shutter Speed and f-Stop will be calculated by the camera based on the ISO and Lighting Conditions.

A Mode and S Mode allows the user to change 2 parameters, for the former it's f-Stop and ISO, and for the latter it's Shutter Speed and ISO. the remaining parameter (either f-Stop or Shutter Speed) would then be decided upon by the camera.

and if you set the ISO to Auto ISO, then the camera would automatically select the ISO for you. no AE Mode would control the ISO for you unless you're using Auto or Scene Selection.... or you've set your camera to ISO Auto.

M Mode would be full manual, where all 3 parameters are decided upon by the camera user.
    Thanks alot. It was really helpful. I read the manual too.