Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Can we use Macro Lens for portrait shots???

  1. #1
    Member archdevll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    1 Corner of Singapore...
    Posts
    420

    Default Can we use Macro Lens for portrait shots???

    I tried searching and i see no info... end up finding out more on reverse mount...

    So the question is, can Macro(Micro for Nikon) Lens be used for portrait shots as well???

    If it can be used, whats the difference compared to regular prime lens vs macro lens used for portrait?


    A friend recommended me Tamron - SP 60mm F/2 Macro. Is that any good?


    Thx ^___^...

  2. #2
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: Can we use Macro Lens for portrait shots???

    Quote Originally Posted by archdevll View Post
    I tried searching and i see no info... end up finding out more on reverse mount...

    So the question is, can Macro(Micro for Nikon) Lens be used for portrait shots as well???

    If it can be used, whats the difference compared to regular prime lens vs macro lens used for portrait?


    A friend recommended me Tamron - SP 60mm F/2 Macro. Is that any good?


    Thx ^___^...
    Yes you can use a macro lens for portrait.

    A macro lens can normally focus from about 30mm to infinity.

  3. #3
    Member archdevll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    1 Corner of Singapore...
    Posts
    420

    Default Re: Can we use Macro Lens for portrait shots???

    Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    Yes you can use a macro lens for portrait.

    A macro lens can normally focus from about 30mm to infinity.
    Thats nice. But comparing a macro lens with a regular prime portrait lens. whats the difference? why would people choose the otherwise?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    big tree town
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Can we use Macro Lens for portrait shots???

    Macro lens can shoot closer to the subject.
    Macro lens are sometimes so sharp that you see all the flaws in the subject's face. You may need extra time to touch up in PS.
    Macro lenses generally have smaller apertures.

    The properties of the macro lens can work for or against you, depending on what you are doing.
    cameras are not made of tofu

  5. #5
    Member archdevll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    1 Corner of Singapore...
    Posts
    420

    Default Re: Can we use Macro Lens for portrait shots???

    Quote Originally Posted by Fotophilic View Post
    Macro lens can shoot closer to the subject.
    Macro lens are sometimes so sharp that you see all the flaws in the subject's face. You may need extra time to touch up in PS.
    Macro lenses generally have smaller apertures.

    The properties of the macro lens can work for or against you, depending on what you are doing.
    So ultimately depends on what I want for my portrait hmm? If i want absolute sharpness it'll be great???
    Then again it wont be a problem if i shoot them raw where i can reduce clarity??? am i right?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •