Thread: My Sister's Wedding

Default My Sister's Wedding

Hi All!

My sister is getting married this Mid-April and since it's just a wedding ceremony in MOR (Ministry of Registry?, and something like a pre-wedding before the church weddin), and church wedding will follow sooner, I was asked to cover the wedding ceremony plus reception.

It's really a simple wedding celebration; get married in the Registry, and then celebrate at home (HDB) with a few guests...around 30 people.

Time of the wedding is 7:30PM, so setting is in low light..

My equipments are: Nikon D90, SB-600 flash, 18-105 Kit Lens, 50mm f/1.8, Tokina 24-40 f/2.8.

I'm really a newbie and am quite nervous of handling this assignment as my sister even asked me to produce good shots!

Can you guys advise if my equipment are enough for such an occassion?

By the way, I'm also planning to rent a Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 lens and use it as my main lens. Do you think it's necessary, or should I rent a longer zoom range?

Also, may I ask what kind of settings should I use(I usually use Aperture Priority)?

Hoping for advise from seniors here and from those who have been in the same situation.

Thanks in advance!
    Can't think of any signature...

Default Re: My Sister's Wedding

Or do you think we should just hire a photographer since my sister is expecting good results to be put in photo albums and ofcourse, this is a once in a lifetime experience?
    What will be the average price then?any idea?
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by binoeako
    Hi All!

My sister is getting married this Mid-April and since it's just a wedding ceremony in MOR (Ministry of Registry?, and something like a pre-wedding before the church weddin), and church wedding will follow sooner, I was asked to cover the wedding ceremony plus reception.

It's really a simple wedding celebration; get married in the Registry, and then celebrate at home (HDB) with a few guests...around 30 people.

Time of the wedding is 7:30PM, so setting is in low light..

My equipments are: Nikon D90, SB-600 flash, 18-105 Kit Lens, 50mm f/1.8, Tokina 24-40 f/2.8.

I'm really a newbie and am quite nervous of handling this assignment as my sister even asked me to produce good shots!

Can you guys advise if my equipment are enough for such an occassion?

By the way, I'm also planning to rent a Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 lens and use it as my main lens. Do you think it's necessary, or should I rent a longer zoom range?

Also, may I ask what kind of settings should I use(I usually use Aperture Priority)?

Hoping for advise from seniors here and from those who have been in the same situation.

Thanks in advance!
    How about a wide prime? Maybe 35mm equil. To shoot under low light without zoom. If you are using one camera, it is best not to assume that you will have chance to change lens that often.

For group shots, slap on the flash and shoot.

Thtas how I would do it if I were u cheers. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by binoeako View Post
    Or do you think we should just hire a photographer since my sister is expecting good results to be put in photo albums and ofcourse, this is a once in a lifetime experience?
    What will be the average price then?any idea?
    thanks!
    If you are not confident of getting good shots, hire one who can do it. It's a once a lifetime event and you don't want to screw up. Price wise, sry, no idea

After you hire one, either enjoy the whole ceremony as a spectator or watch/follow/learn how the hired photographer shoot.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    If you are not confident of getting good shots, hire one who can do it. It's a once a lifetime event and you don't want to screw up. Price wise, sry, no idea
    After you hire one, either enjoy the whole ceremony as a spectator or watch/follow/learn how the hired photographer shoot.
    Second that.
    TS: Either you know what to do in such a situation or better take hands off and let somebody do it who is skilled.
    Please explain to your sister that owning a camera does not automatically mean that all pictures will turn out great. If you read a bit the existing threads (also in Photo Biz here) about wedding photography you'll notice that equipment and equipment handling is something you should not even talk about anymore, it must be second nature to you. Only then you can focus on the event and capture all important moments. If you need to think about aperture when doing a table shot .. sorry, then you are not up to it, yet.
    Feel free to grab your cam and do candid shots and whatever the main photographer does not see because of his focus on the couple / family.
    EOS

Did your sister ask or request you to be the photographer? If yes, what is the expectation? You can help but not hold the responsibility of producing pro standard prints.
    Life is a journey...

Need to be real honest with yourself.
    If you feel your shots are not good enough, ask your sister for a 2nd opinion.
    If she feels the same, then get an experienced person to do it.

i think there are reasons why doctors and some professionals will not work for friends and relative.

Blog Entries

As a member of the immediate family of the bride, I think it is more prudent for you not to shoot. Enjoy the wedding instead of being the photographer.

shooting a wedding solemnization ceremony can be very straight forward, but do you consider yourself as a competent photographer in the first place?

we can recommend all the gears you need, give you all the tips you want, but there is nowhere you can download the experience you need for a ROM shooting.

how your family members find your photos? honestly speaking.
    can you fulfill your sister's expectation? if you can't, it is better to let your sister to look for a photographer.

btw, is Registry of Marriages aka ROM
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

As you said you are a newbie in your first post, I suggest you don't shoot it, or advise her to hire a photographer, while you shoot at the side as a backup/for experience.

i would suggest that you get some one competent to do it, then perhaps you can be the 2nd photographer or just observe how the professionals does it. however the cost can be rather high, normally few hundreds depending on the outcome your sister is looking for...

Hi All!

Thanks for your advices.

I've decided to ask my friend who has the needed experience to do it and I will just be a back-up photographer.hehe

I honestly think that I dont have the skills to produce good photos yet.

Tomorrow is the wedding!

Thanks guys!

Cheers!
    Marvin

Hi All!

Thanks for your advices.

I've decided to ask my friend who has the needed experience to do it and I will just be a back-up photographer.hehe

Tomorrow is the wedding!

Thanks guys!

Cheers!
    Marvin
    All the best!
    Congrats to your sis...!
    Exploring! :)

Hi All!

Thanks for your advices.

Tomorrow is the wedding!

Thanks guys!

Cheers!
    Marvin
    All e best. Congrats to ur sis n ur family. Do share e shots u've taken eh?
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography