Thread: Electrical Savings.

Default Electrical Savings.

Hello everyone.

Now that the electrical rate has risen by 6.1%, I remembered that I have read from somewhere about vampire power (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standby_power). In that article, it was mentioned that one needs to switch off and un-plug the power socket from the power point.

My query is: "Isn't it sufficient just to switch off the switch of the power point?"

TIA for all replies, comments.
    Last edited by Canew; 2nd April 2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Rephrasing of query.

Default Re: Electrical Savings.

I believe switching off is enough.

A brief run through the article seems to imply the same -- I didn't see any part that said switch off AND unplug.
    E.g.

From the U.S. Department of Energy:
    "Many appliances continue to draw a small amount of power when they are switched off. These "phantom" loads occur in most appliances that use electricity, such as VCRs, televisions, stereos, computers, and kitchen appliances. This can be avoided by unplugging the appliance or using a power strip and using the switch on the power strip to cut all power to the appliance."[8]

IIRC most power strips in the US don't have individual switches, unlike those here, which is probably why they talk about unplugging a lot.

P.S. I also think switching off at the mains socket / unplugging may reduce fire hazard, esp in workplaces with many devices and electrical cords.
    Last edited by Edwin Francis; 2nd April 2011 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    My query is: "Isn't is sufficient to switch off the switch of the power point?"
    Yes, it is more than sufficient. Not all countries has a switch at the power socket as a standard feature thus the recommendation to physically unplug the appliances.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post

A brief run through the article seems to imply the same -- I didn't see any part that said switch off AND unplug.
    E.g.

"Many appliances continue to draw a small amount of power when they are switched off. These "phantom" loads occur in most appliances that use electricity, such as VCRs, televisions, stereos, computers, and kitchen appliances. This can be avoided by unplugging the appliance or using a power strip and using the switch on the power strip to cut all power to the appliance."[8]

IIRC most power strips in the US don't have individual switches, unlike those here, which is probably why they talk about unplugging a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Yes, it is more than sufficient. Not all countries has a switch at the power socket as a standard feature thus the recommendation to physically unplug the appliances.
    Edwin Francis, 9V-Orion Images, many thanks for the replies. I understand better now.

i dun bother to do all these stuffs... not that i'm rich...
    its just that its too much trouble to switch off the switch at the power socket while the saving is maybe less than $1 per month... a can of coke already cost more than $1.

i try to switch off from the main switch few years back but now i stop doing that.

1. I need to change my akira LCD TV twice
    2. The only way to save is not to use at all which is impossible. and beside every 3 months the bills will go up anyway. ther no way you can save in singapore unless HDB approve we install our own solar panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    My query is: "Isn't it sufficient just to switch off the switch of the power point?"
    By right when you switch off at the wall socket side there is no more electrical current flowing into the appliances, i.e. drawing zero current/power.
    So my conclusion is no need to unplug.

My interpretation of Edwin's quote is that the 'off'' state mentioned is NOT really turning off the applicances, but put them in standby.
    E.g. you press the switch off buton on the TV remote and the TV goes black. BUT it is still still in standby mode, with minimum circuitry running to detect
    the event when you switch on the TV with the remote. Just like your camera goes to 'sleep' after a few minutes and when you depress the shutter button, the camera is back into action.

I did experience blown fuses in the socket (of the applicances) when I switch off at the wall socket, but I did not experiment on other sockets or same socket with other applicances to figure out which is the culprit.

Agree the dollars saved is little. If we do this it is for saving the planet not saving money.

i believe that every bit counts.
    whether or not it saves me money, i turn off the outlet switches at home that are not in use.

Cheers!
    is using a digital camera that works ...

Sorry, but you have taken one part of my answer out of context and misinterpreted it. My response was to the TS' question "Isn't it sufficient just to switch off the switch of the power point?"

I believe TS understood that.

Immortals like you should be concerned with saving the planet

Quote Originally Posted by ConnorMcLeod View Post

My interpretation of Edwin's quote is that the 'off'' state mentioned is NOT really turning off the applicances, but put them in standby.
    E.g. you press the switch off buton on the TV remote and the TV goes black. BUT it is still still in standby mode, with minimum circuitry running to detect
    the event when you switch on the TV with the remote. Just like your camera goes to 'sleep' after a few minutes and when you depress the shutter button, the camera is back into action.

Sorry, but you have taken one part of my answer out of context and misinterpreted it. My response was to the TS' question "Isn't it sufficient just to switch off the switch of the power point?"

I believe TS understood that.

Immortals like you should be concerned with saving the planet
    Yes, Edwin, you are right, I did understood you fully 100% as you replied to my question point for point. Thanks again!

Sometimes people are funny. The government leads by telling the citizen to save electricity and the building authorities follow and talks about switching off lights. Actually, lights constitute to less than 10% of the electricity bill for buildings. Walk into any building here, it is so cold like you are in winter. If you drive pass AYE towards Jurong and look right at NUS, the car park is fully lit after 6 pm. Singapore Poly covered walkway is fully lit throughout the night.

If you increase the temp of the air con by 1 degree, you can light up a room 24 hours with less electricity. Are building that consumed less electricity more efficient? Think hard again. I am sure there are many engineers out here that can explain better.

So, do you need to switch off from the main for TV, radio and appliances? In my humble opinion, no need. Just make sure you don't leave you lights on if you don't need them at home. If you press your clothes, do it fast and bathe less hot water and less air con. Don't open your refrigerator door unnecessarily. If you are not watching TV, switch it off. Sleep early!!!!!

If entire family go for a week vacation and nobody is at home, make sure you empty the fridge and switch off electricity from main switch board (Ok la may be not all la, on the room which is connected to whatever security devices you have).