Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Someone jumped off the platform at Bukit Batok MRT Station

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    well that's why there's a yellow line. but really curious there are so many incidents in recent years.

wonder what is the record of the HK MTR. They also have open platforms.
    some might be color bind
    some eye might be looking up up
    some might don't understand English, malay, tamil
    Some might stand right @ the yellow line but fall down..

Those platform doors are a luxury for us singaporeans. In overseas, eg Europe, US etc, I've never seen one such facility!

When someone wants to commit suicide, you can't really help it right...

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Those platform doors are a luxury for us singaporeans. In overseas, eg Europe, US etc, I've never seen one such facility!

When someone wants to commit suicide, you can't really help it right...
    doesn't the KL LTR have doors too? Oh yes, the new inter-terminal rail at the New York JFK airport also have doors.

doesn't the KL LTR have doors too? Oh yes, the new inter-terminal rail at the New York JFK airport also have doors.
    If they will to end their life, they will find a way...

How to prevent???

Quote Originally Posted by therat
    If they will to end their life, they will find a way...

How to prevent???
    I agree. I am just mentioning some rails I know that have doors. I do not support having doors on the open platforms as well. However for underground station I think it is an important safety feature, not because of people falling off but against tunnel fires.

I agree. I am just mentioning some rails I know that have doors. I do not support having doors on the open platforms as well. However for underground station I think it is an important safety feature, not because of people falling off but against tunnel fires.
    I think all underground station has door except Bishan MRT.. (correct me if I miss out any station)

All underground stations have doors right? No exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by therat
    some might be color bind
    some eye might be looking up up
    some might don't understand English, malay, tamil
    Some might stand right @ the yellow line but fall down..
    me add another one .. someone jump.. they oso wan to jump

All underground stations have doors right? No exceptions.
    bishan mrt's train platform is 1 floor below ground level, open air.

fox, is that open air as in "not in a tunnel" or "no door"?

Quote Originally Posted by Snake
    me add another one .. someone jump.. they oso wan to jump

haha....
    u jump, I jump

follow the crowd, join the Q arrr... don't be the last one arr.. typical singaporean

BTW, how is the person?
    injured? Dead?

I'm not implying all don't have doors but only my experience in those many countries I've been to. If you go London, Chicago, NY subways etc etc, you prob won't see any platform doors. Not that I know of!! The trains there look scary... When they travel, you can feel the vibrations some distance away.. Then when the train finally comes and you stand close to the platform, you can literally feel a strong gust of wind coming on you.. Not like our quieter MRT coming to Bishan MRT.

I haven't been to the JFK airport. The keyword as you said it might be NEW Inter-terminal rail.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    I'm not implying all don't have doors but only my experience in those many countries I've been to. If you go London, Chicago, NY subways etc etc, you prob won't see any platform doors. Not that I know of!! The trains there look scary... When they travel, you can feel the vibrations some distance away.. Then when the train finally comes and you stand close to the platform, you can literally feel a strong gust of wind coming on you.. Not like our quieter MRT coming to Bishan MRT.

I haven't been to the JFK airport. The keyword as you said it might be NEW Inter-terminal rail.

Yah the JFK one is BRAND NEW! Wasn't there just 3-4 years ago.

Just go to HK MTR station and you'd get that airblast everytime the train comes in. I thought that's a mighty bad fire hazard. If there's any fire the wind to fan it big big!

We should also remember that a lot of things we take for granted today as cheap and "must-have" are expensive and exotic in the 80s when the line was built. Just think what kind of computer you're using in 1986? Heck a PC XT!

Oh and the ticketing and fare gate control computers then was the PDP-11, anyone still remember those?

and in fact a lot of guys and gals here are still babies then gee, I didn't realise out MRT is that old liaoz.

fox, is that open air as in "not in a tunnel" or "no door"?
    Open air -> there is no tunnel, and no doors. No enclosed shelter above the train rails so if it rains, the platform gets wet.

Just think of an elevated platform... at -1 ground level

most MRT accidents happen at the north-south line.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    Is there some kind of a curse? I don't know, you tell me.
    It is sad to hear that there is another such sad case, I do hope that adequate safety measure should be in place to prevent such accident/incident from happening again. But most importantly, the cost for such measures should not be shouldered by us, passengers again.

There's lots of case happened recently, But usually only LRT's will get to happen such cases like falling into the rail more often, now it's MRT's, I think people got to be alert when taking MRT's especially those stations without doors, don't you think it's necessary for installing cameras or perhaps they can build doors that now, only underground MRT's have it. If not anyone can be crazy and just jump down like nobody's business. I'm sure they had earn alot already so doing all just isn't a problem for them,

Also,i hope they don't increase the fairs anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    Because most above ground stations are on the North South Line.

The biggest accident was the Clementi one. Also incidentally above ground. Nothing to do with which line is more accident prone.

Accidents happen any time, any where. People want to commit suicide, doors at the above-ground station just means they'll find another way. Although another way probably might not affect commuters.

I hope they don't build doors at the above ground stations. The construction costs are one thing. Then they'll have to air-condition the above ground stations too. Too many good excuses for SMRT to raise ticket prices.

Get to the root of the matter. If more people are jumping on purpose, then there we should deal with the issue of rising suicide rate. If there are more accidents, then a cheaper solution would be to repaint the yellow line further from the tracks. Won't prevent accidents entirely, but at least if someone faints while standing near the yellow line, they won't fall onto the tracks. And kids shouldn't be running around like crazy anyway.

Just go to HK MTR station and you'd get that airblast everytime the train comes in. I thought that's a mighty bad fire hazard. If there's any fire the wind to fan it big big!
    I was in HK earlier this year. They have started works for platform doors in underground stations. Some are actually completed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast