View Poll Results: handheld or use tripod for macro shots?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Handheld

41 36.28%
  • Tripod

72 63.72%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tripod or handheld for macro?

Quote Originally Posted by E-Lim
    Im just wondering, may be you mean 4cm and not 4mm?

Anyway, just to answer your question... it all depends on individual ability of handholding. If you can handhold 1/60s, why bother to use monopod on 1/200s. But, like Student said, try printing your photo on A3 size and see if you are still happywith the shaprness.
    heh, OK. 4mm on the fish across the broadest part of the head. Those are gravel grains not rocks! I'm using +9 close-up probably less than 2cm from the subject.

Since I shoot digital, I can zoom to the pixel level so if there are any blurness surely it can be seen. I am OK with the sharpness (considering the lens I'm using) but my real problem is DOF.

For that matter this discussion has raise some question regarding the definition of macro especially WRT to digital format. I think I will make a topic and ask the general audience.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsng
    if you don't mind heavy but sturdy then try manfrotto 680 or 681.. or else, you can look at the CF series
    one day you let me look at yours.

*OT abit*

how's the 550EX going? Someone we know gave up his 500DG for the EX liaoz. Are you next?

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    1)still life = triport (but sometime use to shoot insect also)
    2)else = hand held

for (2) true, it is difficult to get the right focusing point using hand held, but by the time set up triport (unless you have bambo or unilock triport), insect fly away liao.
    You mean "benbo", not "bambo". Have you used a benbo? It have not been sold in Singapore for a while. I have one at home. It is very versatile, but make one little mistake and you send your camera crashing down! So if you have a benbo, you are not faster! that is not the intention of a benbo. A benbo is meant to let you have your camera in all sorts of contortion to reach all sorts of angles.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Lim
    Im just wondering, may be you mean 4cm and not 4mm?
    actually is it so surprising that the subject is 4mm? It doesn't occupy the whole frame if that's what you think plus I am using flash so handshake isn't a problem. with a stack of +9 close-up filters I get about 1.1 magnification i.e. at the closest focusing point (about 2cm I think), a 33mm object would fill the whole frame.

lots of people I know taking close-ups like I do.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    heh, OK. 4mm on the fish across the broadest part of the head. Those are gravel grains not rocks! I'm using +9 close-up probably less than 2cm from the subject.

Since I shoot digital, I can zoom to the pixel level so if there are any blurness surely it can be seen. I am OK with the sharpness (considering the lens I'm using) but my real problem is DOF.

For that matter this discussion has raise some question regarding the definition of macro especially WRT to digital format. I think I will make a topic and ask the general audience.
    You have not answered questions posted earlier. But since you mentioned here that you zoom up the pixels, it appears to me that you may not be shooting "macro" in that you are taking life-size. What you have done is to use digital tricks to "macro" the avatar. For that matter if you crop off 50% or even more, it is not really shooting "macro", is it?

Another question. With your +9 close-up lens, how much final magnification can you achieve? My earlier calculation suggests that you need to have at least a 8:1 magnification. So how much is the +9 lens capable of?

actually is it so surprising that the subject is 4mm? It doesn't occupy the whole frame if that's what you think plus I am using flash so handshake isn't a problem. with a stack of +9 close-up filters I get about 1.1 magnification i.e. at the closest focusing point (about 2cm I think), a 33mm object would fill the whole frame.

lots of people I know taking close-ups like I do.
    Hmm, maybe my understanding of optics need a revision! Much as I hated talking equipment, I will talk about it to illustrate my point. I have three "macro" lenses. A leica 100mm elmarit. A canon 180 mm, and a Contax 645 120. The canon and contax are capable of 1:1. The leica normally is 1:2. With an attachment the leica is capable of 1:1. But none of these lenses can make 40mm full frame. As mentioned earlier, at 1:1 the minimun size is about 600 mm. You mean with your +9 lenses, you can do better than those lenses I mentioned?

Yes..For me I use monopod...Just for the sake of resting my arm and faster deployment of camera
    Last edited by rainman; 15th August 2004 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by student
    You mean "benbo", not "bambo". Have you used a benbo? It have not been sold in Singapore for a while. I have one at home. It is very versatile, but make one little mistake and you send your camera crashing down! So if you have a benbo, you are not faster! that is not the intention of a benbo. A benbo is meant to let you have your camera in all sorts of contortion to reach all sorts of angles.
    I had borrowed (unilock, not benbo) from my friend and use it for a few month, true, if there is an angle that either one of the 2 can reach, no other triport can.
    but it is also meant for speed and plant into water (about 0.5m depth). i was shooting away while my froend was still struggling to set his 190pro, or was it 055pro, anyway, that is the proof of speed.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Hmm, maybe my understanding of optics need a revision! Much as I hated talking equipment, I will talk about it to illustrate my point. I have three "macro" lenses. A leica 100mm elmarit. A canon 180 mm, and a Contax 645 120. The canon and contax are capable of 1:1. The leica normally is 1:2. With an attachment the leica is capable of 1:1. But none of these lenses can make 40mm full frame. As mentioned earlier, at 1:1 the minimun size is about 600 mm. You mean with your +9 lenses, you can do better than those lenses I mentioned?
    brother, what u cannot do doesnt mean others also cannot.... try to relax abit lah... u are taking all this so personally....
    and whats with all your technical & theoritical mambo jumbo throughout this thread, life size lah, 1:1 lah, 1:2 lah, perspective lah, its benbo not bambo lah... you sounded more like an over zealous master than a student...
    web | blog | fb | ig

Quote Originally Posted by EiRiK
    brother, what u cannot do doesnt mean others also cannot.... try to relax abit lah... u are taking all this so personally....
    and whats with all your technical & theoritical mambo jumbo throughout this thread, life size lah, 1:1 lah, 1:2 lah, perspective lah, its benbo not bambo lah... you sounded more like an over zealous master than a student...
    I am sorry? I think you need to read a little more careful reading syle,. When did I say others cannot do what I could not? I am trying hard to understand how Choy could achieve photographying such a small object with the current regular macro lenses, and be able to do it handheld. Try to fuscus at 2 cm and see if you could hold. Isn't this what this forum all about? Learning? Hence my pseudonym "student".

If you think "technical mambo jumbo" are not necessary, it is your perogative. I am sorry. I do not know of any competent artisan who does not have mastery of the tecnical aspect of his craft.

Corecting "benbo" from "bambo" is wrong? There are many do have never heard of "benbo" and may be led to think that you can use a piece of bambo o hold you camera!

Hey man! get real! Do not persist in ignorance!

b18, I'm interested to know what kind of subject requires cable release. do you mean when used without flash?

I find most of the time I end up using flash unless under full sunlight. Outdoors I always get a breeze the moment I start composing The only time I had to use remote lease (at it wasn't even macro) was when shooting fireworks. Only found out when I uploaded the pics, so all gone to waste.
    One that was displayed publicly was at http://www.forumkamera.com/gallery/img2621.search.html

This thread getting more n more interesting .. esp I never use my monopod for macro shots thinking its not feasible
    Nikon 4 & lots of hollow chunky glass

For taking closeup insect shots,

I will use tripod for :-
    - still life
    - good and low angle shots where I can setup my tripod
    - good quality and low ISO shots

For handheld or monopod support,
    - good lighting environment
    - object is active like butterfly and bee
    - difficult angle shots where I cannot setup my tripod
    - may use higher ISO but not more than ISO 400 (for digital only)
    - tired and no mood to carry tripod

To achieve good background,
    - look out for open space or slope with green leaves and grass
    - use longer focal length to narrow the angle of coverage
    - avoid or remove distracting background

so what is my poll
    Last edited by megaweb; 10th September 2004 at 11:29 PM.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Quote Originally Posted by EiRiK
    yup, dun really need to get all ups like this, use and do whatever you feel comfortable, you feel like forcing ppl down with your theoys. As per said, we could shoot our small objects with handholding, never say we did fill the whole frame right? Is that ture macro? oops then most of us got the wrong idea of macro then, along with the thread starter cos accordingly you said that its just not possible.

I need to scold the camera company too, mislead me that my lens with the macro and flower label take real macro. sorry student, really sorry.

i'm really not been sarcastic here, i have never attend a photography school to learn the ture art of marco shooting.

To the "experts", do anything you want as long as it work for you. But to students of photography like me, I choose the method that will give me the best chances of getting the shots. That may mean forgoing a running ant. But so be it!

There are obviously differences in opinion, and I can only suggest that the novice try to find which method works.
    i do not think anyone is claiming a expert here expect you right?

for me getting the shot is all that is about, so i will chase the running ant to get a shot and not at all? To forgo something means not getting any shot at all.
    Last edited by Belle&Sebastain; 15th August 2004 at 10:40 AM.

An "echo" is not its own voice. It is a "mindless" reflection of another sound!
    something taught in photography schools as well?

I use tripod whenever possible especially for shooting birds (zoom) & insects (macro). And of course night scenes is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    ... you feel like forcing ppl down with your theoys.... Is that ture macro? oops then most of us got the wrong idea of macro then, along with the thread starter cos accordingly you said that its just not possible.

i'm really not been sarcastic here, i have never attend a photography school to learn the ture art of marco shooting.
    Did I force anyone down with "my theories"? What I had written are simple facts.

Fact #1: Ultimate sharpness need tripod. Of course you sacrifice "ultimate" sharpness for certain kind of photography such as sports and reportage. In these situations, you aim for acceptable sharpness

Fact #2 My macro lenses that are capable of a "life size" magnification cannot take a 40mm subject, let alone a 4mm. So Mr Choy must have some special techniques. I am keen to learn if he is willing to teach.

Perhaps, as you have written, we have differing definations of "Macro Photography" . No I did not attend any photography school. But there are things called "books". "Macro photography" means photography of small things.

If you take a picture of a contingent of soldiers, and then cropped out everybody but one face, and then enlarge it to show only that face, then conventional "wisdom" tells you that that is NOT macrophotography. Likewise if you take a picture of a bird and that bird only fill up 1/100 of the frame, then you zoom your pixels to show only the bird without the rest of the trees etc, that is also Not macro-photography. That is called post-processing enlargement.

i do not think anyone is claiming a expert here expect you right?

for me getting the shot is all that is about, so i will chase the running ant to get a shot and not at all? To forgo something means not getting any shot at all.
    I am continuing to be perplexed by how people read. Sorry, not meant to be sarcastic. There may be experts here, or there may be not. I don't care. Experts, please ignore me.

What I had written are for people who are not experts. I write for fellow students, for fellow novices. As a student, I had learnt something, and I want to share. And I know that others have things I can learn from. But we all know that there are all kinds of students: kindergarten, primary, secondary, university. And even university, those who barely passed and those with first class honors. And then there are post graduate and post doctoral students. And of course, not forgetting the "students of hard knocks". I am, of course, not an expert, but I think I have learnt beyond kindergarten level. Perhaps I am at the secondary school level. So at least I can teach ABC to kindergarten students. For those students who are in college/university level, please ignore me.

something taught in photography schools as well?
    No, something taught in the "School of Common Sense English".

Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    I use tripod whenever possible especially for shooting birds (zoom) & insects (macro). And of course night scenes is a must.
    Hey I saw those birdie threads and the fellas have camouflage tents and minimum 400 or 600mm telephotos. I don't think it is quite possible to shoot without tripod in those cases. But then again it's not macro

I know someone with a Nikkor 800VR, that thing looks like an 84mm Carl Gustav. Either you use a tripod (and a real sturdy one) or you need a PA to carry it on his shoulders!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast