View Poll Results: handheld or use tripod for macro shots?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Handheld

    41 36.28%
  • Tripod

    72 63.72%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 89

Thread: Tripod or handheld for macro?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,315

    Arrow Tripod or handheld for macro?

    Just wanna find out ur preference, do u prefer to use flash n handheld, in order to move easily? or prefer to get a nice composition wif clean background, setup tripod and take the shot at lower shuttle speed?

  2. #2

    Default

    for me, no doubt, use tripod.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    anymore? can share ur opinion?

  4. #4

    Default

    This is a no brainer!

    Don't even think about it. Whether you use flash or not, tripod is mandatory for MACRO shots.

  5. #5

    Default

    Dun forget also .. Mirror Lock Up + Cable release / Timer .. is a MUST

    unless you want to put 2000W studio lighting to photo a worm passing by ...
    Nikon 4 & lots of hollow chunky glass

  6. #6

    Default

    both i also use, i dun understand is there a need to put in the tripod all the time? i use tripod sparingly as its delays my work, like to sketch around for angles. i shoot stilllifes. objects as small as 1.5cm

    i use flash and so i sync around 1/125. f8-36 (depends on subject) so tripods are not mandatory in my books.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    both i also use, i dun understand is there a need to put in the tripod all the time? i use tripod sparingly as its delays my work, like to sketch around for angles. i shoot stilllifes. objects as small as 1.5cm

    i use flash and so i sync around 1/125. f8-36 (depends on subject) so tripods are not mandatory in my books.
    You may be able to freeze motion with flashes. But precise composition for tiny objects requires VERY STEADY hands, not because of the fear of getting out of focus, but very tiny movements can lead to tremendous changes in perspective. I scout around for angles too. When I find an angle I like, out come the tripod for precise framing. You can be lucky and get away with it. But for consistent work, tripod are mandatory.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    I feel that for really closeup work, a tripod is mandatory. It's not so much as freezing motion, but more of ensuring that your very limited DOF is where you want it. A shiver in the hand can throw your entire picture out of whack, especially if you are using stuff like macro lens + closeup lens + extension tube + teleconvertor together.

    For normal butterflies/dragonflies/large insects shoots however, than using flash is a much better alternative as DOF isn't as limited in the extreme closeup range, and freezing motion is very important, as oppose to when shooting still life. Moreover, the extra degree of mobility a flash grants you is more useful in insect shoots.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by b18
    Dun forget also .. Mirror Lock Up + Cable release / Timer .. is a MUST

    unless you want to put 2000W studio lighting to photo a worm passing by ...
    2000w after 1 shot its cooked, so better take another shot to see the smoke...

    i think depends on the subject, if its super small with fast movement, have to use hands, as its constantly moving, when its steady, u set tripod, off it goes... if its slow moving, den a tripod can be used.. like product macro, surely u will use tripod and take your time to compose the picture... but u can't train a worm to stand still... unless the worm is dead...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    You may be able to freeze motion with flashes. But precise composition for tiny objects requires VERY STEADY hands, not because of the fear of getting out of focus, but very tiny movements can lead to tremendous changes in perspective. I scout around for angles too. When I find an angle I like, out come the tripod for precise framing. You can be lucky and get away with it. But for consistent work, tripod are mandatory.
    care to share some of your macro shots?
    web | blog | fb | ig

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EiRiK
    care to share some of your macro shots?
    Looks like the days I can

    1 avoid buying a scanner and
    2 avoid learning how to put an image into the computer and then uploading to websites,

    are coming to an end soon!

    Until then, I can only show you real prints, not digital ones.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    I used to shoot macros handheld with the Fujifilm S602Z and Casio QV-2900UX.

  13. #13

    Default

    Still life - tripod
    Insect macros - handheld

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    I used to shoot macros handheld with the Fujifilm S602Z and Casio QV-2900UX.
    We all can shoot macro handheld with any camera with or without flashes.

    The point that I was making (also Del_C), is that with macro shots, a slight change in the position will change the perspective. Also the very narrow depth of field is another important consideration.

    The other issue is that when one talk about "macro", what is being referred to? Butterflies? Or as Belle&Sebastian mentioned, as small as 1.5cm? What is the magnification? 1:1? 2:1? 4:1?

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by azone
    Still life - tripod
    Insect macros - handheld
    True2 ... as I once snapped a worm passing .. now I remember that the worm refuses to stay still

    Even if it stay still .. its antennae is still wiggling

    http://www.forumkamera.com/gallery/img2514.search.html

    =bob=
    Nikon 4 & lots of hollow chunky glass

  16. #16

    Default

    Whether handheld or tripod it all depends on the style of the photographer. Be it butterflies or tiny flies, a good shot can still be achieved using either method even at 1:1 magnification. Background, composition or even sharpness can be similarly achieved if you apply the techniques correctly.

    One advantage of using tripod is you have the luxury to use lower ISO settings.

    One advantage of handholding is you have the flexibity of speed and composition.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default

    it is not black and white, use the appropriate method as the situation requires. how do you use tripod when the subject doesn't stay still or is 1cm on the ground? it is not helpful for the uninitiated to read words like "mandatory".

    I use both incidentally.

  18. #18

    Default

    Sometimes, you may want a very small aperture to get a deep DOF (so that most parts of the object is in sharp focus). Having a tripod will allow you to do that.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    The point that I was making (also Del_C), is that with macro shots, a slight change in the position will change the perspective.
    u mean focus?
    Last edited by EiRiK; 14th August 2004 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typo
    web | blog | fb | ig

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jumbocrab
    Sometimes, you may want a very small aperture to get a deep DOF (so that most parts of the object is in sharp focus). Having a tripod will allow you to do that.
    you can handheld too, the key is the amount of light, not whether you have tripod or not.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •