Thread: Canon SLR - White Balance problem

Question Canon SLR - White Balance problem

Hi,

I am a Canon 10D user. Why is it that when I shoot a model with purple hat and scarf, it turns out to be blue? My friend using a Canon 300D also faced the same problem as me.

The setting:
    1. Flash censor to activate the flashlight box (there r 3 of them, placed left & right side of the model and 1 is on my right side pointing at the model.)
    2. ASA 100
    3. f/11, f/22
    4. Auto white balance

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tiramesu
    Hi,

I am a Canon 10D user. Why is it that when I shoot a model with purple hat and scarf, it turns out to be blue? My friend using a Canon 300D also faced the same problem as me.

The setting:
    1. Flash censor to activate the flashlight box (there r 3 of them, placed left & right side of the model and 1 is on my right side pointing at the model.)
    2. ASA 100
    3. f/11, f/22
    4. Auto white balance

Thanks.
    Sorry... title should be Canon DSLR - White Balance Problem

try changing WB to "flash". If you shoot in raw mode, change it during RAW conversion... that I think should do it...but hey, I am no studio man...

Quote Originally Posted by tiramesu
    Hi,

The setting:
    2. ASA 100
    3. f/11, f/22
    4. Auto white balance

Thanks.
    If you are shooting indoors with flash or under artificial light, the 10D/300D auto white balance is not very reliable and can be fooled. You can 1) Set Custom White Balance for both Cameras, 2) Set according to colour temperature for the 10D, or 3) Shoot in RAW mode and post-process later.

Since you have invested quite a lot in your cam, I suggest you do a quick search on the web for articles on setting white balance for digicams. Tons of info out there and much more comprehensive than I can give you in this short blurb.

Hi dkw,

Thanks for the advise.