Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62

Thread: Needed to get this off my chest. About misleading sellers in BnS.

  1. #1

    Default Needed to get this off my chest. About misleading sellers in BnS.

    Ever wondered how some people lose their receipts but do not want to admit?

    They say " i just move house, so lost box and receipt, but set is still under warranty period ".

    Or " I got it as a gift, so receipt is not included but its new. "

    Maybe " Warranty JUST ended " so they quote their their 2-3 year camera and say its 1 yr 4 months old.

    Basically these ppl are just rubbish. If you lost receipt say lost, dont give the reason that you move house. Be a man and admit. I cant imagine so many ppl move house then lose box. Its just ridiculous.

    Yup just wanted to say my piece. Dont be taken in by ppl like that, unless they are reputable ( AKA some active senior members ).

  2. #2
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Btw no receipt mean no warranty, yes?

  3. #3

    Default

    Issit when i service my stuff they never ask for receipt leh

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Needed to get this off my chest. About misleading sellers in BnS.

    Quote Originally Posted by hotchoco1ate View Post
    Ever wondered how some people lose their receipts but do not want to admit?

    They say " i just move house, so lost box and receipt, but set is still under warranty period ".

    Or " I got it as a gift, so receipt is not included but its new. "

    Maybe " Warranty JUST ended " so they quote their their 2-3 year camera and say its 1 yr 4 months old.

    Basically these ppl are just rubbish. If you lost receipt say lost, dont give the reason that you move house. Be a man and admit. I cant imagine so many ppl move house then lose box. Its just ridiculous.

    Yup just wanted to say my piece. Dont be taken in by ppl like that, unless they are reputable ( AKA some active senior members ).
    Well, this is your personal opinion. I for one do not normally keep boxes because when I purchase a camera I have no intention to sell it. BTW, I have sold equipment without boxes before and there are takers. If the owner cannot produce receipt, then take it that warranty is over. Why get sucked into it and believe what he said. I believed you cannot be that naive, right?

    It happen all over including ebay. The thing is no one can tell whether you're really the 1st owner or 3rd owner. Its better to have a good equipment that was owned by 3 parties before than a badly used equipment owned by one. That also can be the case.

    If you're so scare, then always buy new.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: Needed to get this off my chest. About misleading sellers in BnS.

    Just sharing my thoughts here. Ok its fine with not having receipts usually after warranty period most
    will crumple and throw it.Imagine no instruction manual and even cds that's gross. Till today I kept
    all my receipts and instruction manuals for my first SLR Nikon camera,lens,Contax camera and lens.
    Perhaps it's just me haha.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

  6. #6
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Needed to get this off my chest. About misleading sellers in BnS.

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    Btw no receipt mean no warranty, yes?
    not too sure... canon has a record of those with warranty if they register online. i go repair under warranty never needed the reciept if i not wrong

  7. #7

    Default Re: Needed to get this off my chest. About misleading sellers in BnS.

    TS please look here

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...m-buaya-buyers

    almost the same thing

  8. #8

    Default Re: Needed to get this off my chest. About misleading sellers in BnS.

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    Btw no receipt mean no warranty, yes?
    Affirmation. No receipt no warranty at NSC.

    Quote Originally Posted by commoner5 View Post
    . . . I for one do not normally keep boxes because when I purchase a camera I have no intention to sell it. BTW, I have sold equipment without boxes before and there are takers . . .
    Same here. Boxes are usually discarded but I do keep my receipts and warrant cards (even if they have expired).

    Caveat emptor should be practiced. I have always wonder why almost everything on sale are rated condition 10 or mint. Do these sellers actually bought the products to show case them during their ownership.
    Last edited by kkgoxplore; 1st April 2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Grammar correction

  9. #9
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Just curious.. why do we need the box when buying stuff from bns?
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  10. #10

    Default Re: Needed to get this off my chest. About misleading sellers in BnS.

    Actually what amazes me is that there are a couple of sellers, who seems to have a container of lenses kept in a warehouse for sale.

    You can literally see them selling different items in B&S daily, and all are rated as 9 or 10 They must be some tycoon who have a huge passion for this hobby, to have bought such a huge ammunition in the first place. Sometime say sell for friend somemore, which amazes me..........

    I think most of you knows who these sellers are in your heart.... But I must say they do have some good offers at times, though I personally have not bought from them before. There is always this BIG ? in my mind about their listed items....

    Anyway I think if not comfortable then don't buy lor, nobody can force us to buy anything, nor can anyone force us to sell anything below our lowest limit. Just move on lah TS

  11. #11

    Default Re: Needed to get this off my chest. About misleading sellers in BnS.

    Quote Originally Posted by commoner5 View Post
    Well, this is your personal opinion. I for one do not normally keep boxes because when I purchase a camera I have no intention to sell it. BTW, I have sold equipment without boxes before and there are takers. If the owner cannot produce receipt, then take it that warranty is over. Why get sucked into it and believe what he said. I believed you cannot be that naive, right?

    It happen all over including ebay. The thing is no one can tell whether you're really the 1st owner or 3rd owner. Its better to have a good equipment that was owned by 3 parties before than a badly used equipment owned by one. That also can be the case.

    If you're so scare, then always buy new.
    Well okay point taken. But usually ppl buy a camera without an intention to sell it, at least not too soon. Otherwise they would've jumped to a better camera in the first place. If you make known that you do not have a receipt or lost it, dont make excuses. This is the gist of my thread.

    You were saying without box there are takers. Of course there will be if you lower your price Its just a vicious cycle. No one NEEDS their box, its just to pass it to the next buyer. If you do not have one, then be prepared to make up to a 50-100 dollar loss.

    If you ask me, i'd say a box makes the package look 'new'. It gives you a sense of assurance and a placebo of buying a new set. This actually works right? From time to time you'll see ppl asking for ridiculously low prices in WTB, and they demand everything from box to warranty to cond 10.

    And one last thing. Sharp copy. "Selling my well-kept 17-55. First lady owner. No scratches. Copy is sharp. Price is firm. Lens is less than a year old but lost the warranty." <--- typical BnS scenario. I hope the buyers will wake up and filter these information out of their minds. Might as well check on the spot and have an "OFFICIAL CHECKLIST" for download or something. If not all the boxes are ticked, the price should be lowered since its not compliant with said condition. Just my suggestion.

    That said, i learnt my lesson. I dont need new lenses. I need working lenses that look new enough. To maximise my dollar. I will still go to BnS of cos but i just hope ppl will wake up their idea and not be tricked by these sellers who are giving false information.

    My top 3 tips:
    1) Do check thoroughly if its a riduculously low price

    2)Be wary of sellers who have a very very low post count . i.e. Less than 10. This shows that they do not have a reputation to care about in the forum and can afford to cheat you. But of course this may not apply to every new forumer that wants to sell.

    3) Do not ever, and i mean ever, feel paiseh when checking the equip. Make your own checklist if you want and check every part. Make sure you are totally comfortable before buying. There are many instances of ppl who buy in a hurry, only to realise that they got duped or misled somehow. I dont believe its a lesson learnt if it can be avoided in the first place.

    Yup

    Note: Take special note to sigma lenses in BnS. They are difficult to sell for two reasons. 1) They are 3rd party lenses. Either an ego or lack of total compatibility bugs some ppl. 2) They usually require calibration of some kind. You, as the new owner incurs the 150SGD penalty for the calibration as Sigma Singapore. So do check for sharpness at the widest aperture at least once before you buy.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Needed to get this off my chest. About misleading sellers in BnS.

    Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    Just curious.. why do we need the box when buying stuff from bns?
    So that its easier to sell off again but then again, not everyone is particular about that.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Needed to get this off my chest. About misleading sellers in BnS.

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    So that its easier to sell off again but then again, not everyone is particular about that.
    I don't really bother about the box. Not even the body, as I can even accept condition 7 on the body. However the glass and AF/MF must be in good condition. Body and box and manual and receipts and whatever else.........they don't contribute to the final output of the picture that I want. Imagine you can get a tack sharp copy of lens at a good price but without the accessories, would you? I will jump at the chance.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Needed to get this off my chest. About misleading sellers in BnS.

    I understand you're ranting, but parts of your post makes little sense.

    "Be a man and admit."? In the examples you posted, they DID admit they lost it. Who cares what the actual reason is?

    The actual deception I think you're more pissed off about is when they pretend they lost the receipt so they can deliberately lie about the age. Some of the lies are ridiculous, probably aiming to take advantage of the less-informed and gullible.

    Personally, I rarely buy anything that's just outside warranty or just about to be, esp if the seller puts a premium on the warranty. Rather buy something 2-3 yrs old (much cheaper) or buy new.

    Anyone want to buy a just-out-of-warranty Yashica Mat 124G? Sorry, lost the receipt when I renovated my place

    Quote Originally Posted by hotchoco1ate View Post
    Ever wondered how some people lose their receipts but do not want to admit?

    They say " i just move house, so lost box and receipt, but set is still under warranty period ".

    Or " I got it as a gift, so receipt is not included but its new. "

    Maybe " Warranty JUST ended " so they quote their their 2-3 year camera and say its 1 yr 4 months old.

    Basically these ppl are just rubbish. If you lost receipt say lost, dont give the reason that you move house. Be a man and admit. I cant imagine so many ppl move house then lose box. Its just ridiculous.

    Yup just wanted to say my piece. Dont be taken in by ppl like that, unless they are reputable ( AKA some active senior members ).

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Needed to get this off my chest. About misleading sellers in BnS.

    Quote Originally Posted by hotchoco1ate View Post
    Well okay point taken. But usually ppl buy a camera without an intention to sell it, at least not too soon. Otherwise they would've jumped to a better camera in the first place. If you make known that you do not have a receipt or lost it, dont make excuses. This is the gist of my thread..
    There are many good reasons why owner sell it so soon. I'm not tying to defend them but happen to my friend. He bought a Nex but realised many tweaking got to get into the menu instead of touch button. Less than 4 days, he put on sale. There are many people buy things blinding just because their friends said its good but only to realised after purchasing its not what they percieve - because many don't read reviews. They just post - what camera to buy. Sound familiar?

    Quote Originally Posted by hotchoco1ate View Post
    You were saying without box there are takers. Of course there will be if you lower your price Its just a vicious cycle. No one NEEDS their box, its just to pass it to the next buyer. If you do not have one, then be prepared to make up to a 50-100 dollar loss.If you ask me, i'd say a box makes the package look 'new'. It gives you a sense of assurance and a placebo of buying a new set. This actually works right? From time to time you'll see ppl asking for ridiculously low prices in WTB, and they demand everything from box to warranty to cond 10. ..
    You done a statistic? Oh com'on, don't kid yourself. Boxes are just window dressing. So you rather buy a broken lens with nice packing than a good lens with no box. OK, your choice. A placebo of a new set to psycho yourself. Weird.


    Quote Originally Posted by hotchoco1ate View Post
    And one last thing. Sharp copy. "Selling my well-kept 17-55. First lady owner. No scratches. ..
    This is something I'll not be taken in suggesting lady as owner. Car seller used to mentioned lady owner and I'll never buy a car from lady because they are horrible driver and can't even change gear properly. They stamp on brakes bla bla bla. I'd buy a used car from man. Just me.


    Quote Originally Posted by hotchoco1ate View Post
    2)Be wary of sellers who have a very very low post count . i.e. Less than 10. This shows that they do not have a reputation to care about in the forum and can afford to cheat you. But of course this may not apply to every new forumer that wants to sell..
    Not thru lah. Com'on be realistic. Not all CS member will post messagers to chalk up post count. Some of them don't even know about this forum until told by their friends to sell it here. Again, seems like you are narrowing your choice. You buy only from high post count huh even if their eqpt is inferiror. Pse lah, don't give such a stupid tip.

    Quote Originally Posted by hotchoco1ate View Post
    3) Do not ever, and i mean ever, feel paiseh when checking the equip. Make your own checklist if you want and check every part. Make sure you are totally comfortable before buying. There are many instances of ppl who buy in a hurry, only to realise that they got duped or misled somehow. I dont believe its a lesson learnt if it can be avoided in the first place..
    Nothing new to us

  16. #16

    Default Re: Needed to get this off my chest. About misleading sellers in BnS.

    Quote Originally Posted by hotchoco1ate View Post
    Ever wondered how some people lose their receipts but do not want to admit?

    They say " i just move house, so lost box and receipt, but set is still under warranty period ".

    Or " I got it as a gift, so receipt is not included but its new. "

    Maybe " Warranty JUST ended " so they quote their their 2-3 year camera and say its 1 yr 4 months old.

    Basically these ppl are just rubbish. If you lost receipt say lost, dont give the reason that you move house. Be a man and admit. I cant imagine so many ppl move house then lose box. Its just ridiculous.

    Yup just wanted to say my piece. Dont be taken in by ppl like that, unless they are reputable ( AKA some active senior members ).
    I feel that the receipt is no longer important if the warranty have ended. Most important thing is the condition of the gear.
    Some people may have bought it 2-3 years ago but seldom use it. So the condition is like new.
    Others may have bought it for 1 year but the condition of the gear seem like it have gone to war due to poor handling and maintenance.

    Therefore, most important thing is not what the seller said but you properly inspect the item you want to purchase.
    I have personally bought my Sony A290, 50mm and 75-300mm lens from some nice sellers in BnS.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Needed to get this off my chest. About misleading sellers in BnS.

    Quote Originally Posted by commoner5 View Post
    You done a statistic? Oh com'on, don't kid yourself. Boxes are just window dressing. So you rather buy a broken lens with nice packing than a good lens with no box. OK, your choice. A placebo of a new set to psycho yourself. Weird.



    TS imagine the below scenerio is occuring in B&S now:

    1. Canon 24-105 f4 for sale. Body condition 8, glass is pristine. No hood, no box, no pouch. Well used. $850 firm. Lens code UU.

    2. Canon EOS 5DMII. SC verified by CSC as 10888 with receipt. Warranty over. No box, only body and charger. Asking $2380.

    In the above scenerio, will you be making a call or sms the seller?

    I think the box just gives buyer a chance to ask for better price. But if I am the seller in the above 2 scenerios, I better make sure my phone is charged fully, cos I am pretty sure the number of calls/sms I will get will be very overwhelming.

    And if you are a genuine buyer who NEEDS the gear, do you think you will still try and bargain. I know some still will, but I am even more sure that these people will never get the deal.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Needed to get this off my chest. About misleading sellers in BnS.

    Quote Originally Posted by zurichdo View Post
    Actually what amazes me is that there are a couple of sellers, who seems to have a container of lenses kept in a warehouse for sale.
    I think some of the sellers suffer from BBB virus infection
    They bought the lens on impulse and later they regret their purchase

  19. #19

    Default Re: Needed to get this off my chest. About misleading sellers in BnS.

    Quote Originally Posted by sony90290 View Post
    I think some of the sellers suffer from BBB virus infection
    They bought the lens on impulse and later they regret their purchase
    Bro, think you got to read deeper into that quote. I doubt that's what he meant

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Needed to get this off my chest. About misleading sellers in BnS.

    From time to time these opposing threads appear. Buy Buyers. By sellers. Don't think they are genuine. Just the same old sh"t by traders trying to psycho people.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •