Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: protecting yourself from "buaya" buyers

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore / London
    Posts
    378

    Default protecting yourself from "buaya" buyers

    came to my attention that some 'buyers' on the Buy/Sell forums in Singapore really have a lot of antics to lowball you. This doesn't solely refer to members of CS forum.

    a couple of them that I've experienced in the recent years:

    1) I'm a student can give discount?

    2) I have to travel from pasir ris to boon lay. can give discount?

    3) when i make a simple reminder of "payment by cash only" I get nasty replies like "LITTLE BOY YOU THINK I DONT HAVE CASH IS IT?"

    One look at these messages and you know they're out to eat you.


    I've given in to these type of discount requests before only to meet an ungrateful buyer who scrutinizes your gear to the n'th degree and lash out comments like "how come there's a scratch here but you never tell me?!" "this is condition 9 not condition 10!"

    The buyer then goes onto asking "is this your best price?". I knew I was gonna be a victim of another lowballer so i said "sorry. price is firm. There are many other interested buyers." then i proceed to pack my stuff and leave.

    I believe I offer my stuff at reasonable prices but some buyers just expect brand spanking new condition out of a used item. "reasonable" meaning that I get quite a number of people displaying interest in purchasing my stuff and that its below market rate.

    So to other sellers out there, what kinda 'stunts' have other buayas tried to pull on you?

    One thing I have noticed thus far, these buayas don't give you a "gentlemen's handshake" or they dont even bother to at all.
    Canon 5D Mark II

  2. #2

    Default

    Sometimes I just give up and sell to the shops in peninsula. Just not worth the time and effort, and countless sms.

  3. #3

    Default Re: protecting yourself from "buaya" buyers

    Ask a big sized, fierce looking friend to go with you.

  4. #4
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Arrow Re: protecting yourself from "buaya" buyers

    These are the tactics so that they will get lower prices and resell them again here or abroad.

    I know a few of them as I've seen them when I buy stuff from other people.

  5. #5

    Default Re: protecting yourself from "buaya" buyers

    it's always buyer/seller beware. willing seller, willing buyer, and vice versa.

    you want to sell, be prepared to face people like this. i'm from the customer service line (read: coffee boy) and i get crap like this often.

    there's no point complaining when you're actually offering yourself up to crap like this when you want to sell something. why? because people like this exist. there'll always be people out to get the "best deal".

    learn to deal with it.

    from what i gather, this isn't a thread started to warn people. why? because no matter how much you talk about it, you can't talk these people away, neither can you get rid of them. because many of them exist in all different forms. this thread just seems like one started to whine and complain.

    and no one likes a whiner.

    i understand how you would feel. but move on.

    willing seller, willing buyer

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore / London
    Posts
    378

    Default Re: protecting yourself from "buaya" buyers

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    it's always buyer/seller beware. willing seller, willing buyer, and vice versa.

    you want to sell, be prepared to face people like this. i'm from the customer service line (read: coffee boy) and i get crap like this often.

    there's no point complaining when you're actually offering yourself up to crap like this when you want to sell something. why? because people like this exist. there'll always be people out to get the "best deal".

    learn to deal with it.

    from what i gather, this isn't a thread started to warn people. why? because no matter how much you talk about it, you can't talk these people away, neither can you get rid of them. because many of them exist in all different forms. this thread just seems like one started to whine and complain.

    and no one likes a whiner.

    i understand how you would feel. but move on.

    willing seller, willing buyer
    yup...agree with you. We all just have to live with it I guess.
    Canon 5D Mark II

  7. #7
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: protecting yourself from "buaya" buyers

    it depends. i'm a student. i dun have much funds. if people are nice enough to lower price, i'm happy, provided its still in a usable condition.

    i got a 350d IR modded at a very good deal and its been with me for most of my shoots nowadays.

    go by a case by case basis.

  8. #8
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309
    it's always buyer/seller beware. willing seller, willing buyer, and vice versa.

    you want to sell, be prepared to face people like this. i'm from the customer service line (read: coffee boy) and i get crap like this often.

    there's no point complaining when you're actually offering yourself up to crap like this when you want to sell something. why? because people like this exist. there'll always be people out to get the "best deal".

    learn to deal with it.

    from what i gather, this isn't a thread started to warn people. why? because no matter how much you talk about it, you can't talk these people away, neither can you get rid of them. because many of them exist in all different forms. this thread just seems like one started to whine and complain.

    and no one likes a whiner.

    i understand how you would feel. but move on.

    willing seller, willing buyer
    well said bro. uve- oh nvm.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  9. #9
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default

    That's life, you get all sorts. Best part is these people have skin like steel, suan them still can say it's their right and I can just ignore if not happy. Going by that logic, we should all just ogle some guy's pretty gf, he can ignore if not happy. Sure, he can't really do anything, but there are things that are just more polite. And offering half the price of a item priced below market rate is a joke.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    153

    Default Re: protecting yourself from "buaya" buyers

    on my wts items
    i received sms asking me to drop the price to$ 50 from my indicated price of $100, and to arrange at his convenience, on the day of deal , he requested for additional cut by $20 to new price $30. in the end no deal done cause i cannot meet his target............................

    on my wtb items
    this seller actually jio me for coffee, and while waiting for the coffee , I ended up for a talk on mlm - herB$%#e, hahahahahaha.
    all this for a $50 item bicycle item.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: protecting yourself from "buaya" buyers

    If you are a female seller and want to protect yourself against "buaya" buyers, send them a photo of an old woman as you.
    Last edited by Sion; 1st April 2011 at 08:21 PM.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiang
    on my wts items
    i received sms asking me to drop the price to$ 50 from my indicated price of $100, and to arrange at his convenience, on the day of deal , he requested for additional cut by $20 to new price $30. in the end no deal done cause i cannot meet his target............................

    on my wtb items
    this seller actually jio me for coffee, and while waiting for the coffee , I ended up for a talk on mlm - herB$%#e, hahahahahaha.
    all this for a $50 item bicycle item.
    $100 to $20? Wow!!

  13. #13
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: protecting yourself from "buaya" buyers

    Goodness, can we have a dedicated forum for horse floggers to practice their art?
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  14. #14

    Default Re: protecting yourself from "buaya" buyers

    There's one guy who asked whether i accept VOUCHERS. what a joke.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Woodlands, Singapore
    Posts
    1,289

    Default

    It makes me laugh reading this thread..reminds me of a recent possible buyer for my dry cabinet. Since it bulky,it normal practice for the buyer to self collect at the sellers place. Same goes in this instance however I received an offer from a buyer wanting me to reduce my price as he wants me to "share" cab fare for him to come to my place and back home...hahahahaa

    What do you guys say?it tickles me when I received that msg...hahaha
    KANTAimages
    "through the lens where every memories is crafted"

  16. #16

    Default Re: protecting yourself from "buaya" buyers

    Nothing beats paying by 6 installments This ws proposed by a young man after confirming to buy a cam I advertised. His reason? See no. 1 in the first post.

  17. #17

    Default Re: protecting yourself from "buaya" buyers

    wow. and the one-upmanship has started.
    great.

    now everyone will be competing to see who has faced the most ridiculous proposition.

    *popcorn*

  18. #18
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309
    wow. and the one-upmanship has started.
    great.

    now everyone will be competing to see who has faced the most ridiculous proposition.

    *popcorn*
    that's nothing! this buyer made me drive all the way to Changi just to introduce me to his expensive gear. then he tried making me donate to his 'charity' and started guilt tripping me into donating my kidney! !
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  19. #19

    Default Re: protecting yourself from "buaya" buyers

    How about the seller posing as a buyer?

    "I am interested in your AFS lens, when can we meet up? By the way I own many AIS lenses also very good, when we meet up I can show them to you maybe you will be interested."
    Nikonian since 2003
    F55 | D700

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore / London
    Posts
    378

    Default Re: protecting yourself from "buaya" buyers

    Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    that's nothing! this buyer made me drive all the way to Changi just to introduce me to his expensive gear. then he tried making me donate to his 'charity' and started guilt tripping me into donating my kidney! !
    regarding "donating your kidney", is it to be taken literally?!!!
    Canon 5D Mark II

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •