Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikon AF-S 35mm F1.8G ... not happy :(

Default Re: Nikon AF-S 35mm F1.8G ... not happy :(

Quote Originally Posted by bethpapa74 View Post
    I am using aperture priority most of the time (i guess since i bought a f1.8 lens, must as well make the most of out it
    AF-S (spot meter) all the time.
    You mean spot focusing don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by bethpapa74 View Post
    I am using aperture priority most of the time (i guess since i bought a f1.8 lens, must as well make the most of out it
    AF-S (spot meter) all the time.
    Try the AF-C mode and switch to Dynamic AF mode (instead of AF Single point), it can track and keep the subject in focus.

When you switch from aperture priority mode to manual mode, you can get a better control of the results.

Just an example. If your kids are moving & playing around, you need to increase your shutter speed to around 1/125s or more.
    You'll get sharp images when the kids are focused. If they are moving their hands, their hands may get blur due to motion.
    Last edited by wmayeo; 1st April 2011 at 01:20 PM.

I feel that single point focusing, especially in dark area helps in achieving faster focusing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bethpapa74

no wonder when i try the d700 with 50 f1.8d ... it is very snappy and feel very solid with nice bokeh.
    when i mount the 50f1.8d on my d7k ... slightly ''lethargic''

one question, is it me or what ... but when i shoot 50f1.8d on my kids, 80% are killer shots ... but with AFS-35f1.8G, i need to delete 60% due to motion blur.
    Not sure. I get more keepers with the 35/1.8 than the 50/1.8 back when I still had both lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by tltan View Post
    I feel that single point focusing, especially in dark area helps in achieving faster focusing.
    I agree with this. I bought 35mm f1.8 last week, paired with d7k and take some shoot of my 3 weeks old daughter. Since I want to take some close up shoot with 1-1.5 m distance (and very dim light condition), I worry if i use dynamic AF or 3D it'll focus on her hand that keep moving instead of her eyes. And even with this method, i only can use 50% of the shoot. Probably there is some back or front focus problem, or maybe it's just me :-)

If TS dun want the lens....Can sell me cheap cheap ? Hehe.

Single-spot focusing is fast only if the subject has reasonably contrast ... i use 9-pt spot focusing to achieve slightly faster AF sometime.
    Trying to get use to the lens character ... but i like the focal length though.

The 35mm F1.8 is one of my favourite lens. I could shoot all day long with just this piece of glass.

Reasonably cheap, sharp, fast, small & light. Everything good about it. Yeah, it's slower than 50mm F1.8 on AF but nothing that far to break the whole deal. Not that I need lighting fast AF for what I shoot with this focal length.
    Enjoy while you can!

i am using 50mm 1.8, good but hard to take portrait as its quite zoom in. I am looking for 35mm 1.8, any idea how much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12