Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Would you buy a camera from an overseas seller?

  1. #1

    Default Would you buy a camera from an overseas seller?

    There was one posting on the classifieds. The price was quite much lower than usual. Issue is he is in Europe.

    Is there a safe way to transact? Paypal? Or is this confirmed scam?

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Would you buy a camera from an overseas seller?

    Quote Originally Posted by mengwei11 View Post
    There was one posting on the classifieds. The price was quite much lower than usual. Issue is he is in Europe.

    Is there a safe way to transact? Paypal? Or is this confirmed scam?
    If it's pay via western union, stay away from it. If it's too much lower, I rather you turn to the B&S section here...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike

    If it's pay via western union, stay away from it. If it's too much lower, I rather you turn to the B&S section here...
    It is from the b&s section. But when a deal is too good to be true, it probably is?

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Would you buy a camera from an overseas seller?

    Quote Originally Posted by mengwei11 View Post
    It is from the b&s section. But when a deal is too good to be true, it probably is?
    From the B&S section, if you can see the thing first, test on the spot, happy than pay. If cannot test, forget it.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  5. #5

    Default Re: Would you buy a camera from an overseas seller?

    Quote Originally Posted by mengwei11 View Post
    There was one posting on the classifieds. The price was quite much lower than usual. Issue is he is in Europe.

    Is there a safe way to transact? Paypal? Or is this confirmed scam?
    I wouldn't deal on anything in the BnS unless its meetup, if I cannot check the goods, i'm not paying, especially for expensive items.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,792

    Default Re: Would you buy a camera from an overseas seller?

    Any time when you have to transfer money first, before goods shipped from overseas, should be considered a scam until proven otherwise.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Would you buy a camera from an overseas seller?

    Quote Originally Posted by mengwei11 View Post
    It is from the b&s section. But when a deal is too good to be true, it probably is?
    i think i know who the person is and yes i think it's scam
    facebook | Kiwira

  8. #8
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Would you buy a camera from an overseas seller?

    dont compete to be the sucker that is born today ... or tomorrow
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  9. #9
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: Would you buy a camera from an overseas seller?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daoyin View Post
    Any time when you have to transfer money first, before goods shipped from overseas, should be considered a scam until proven otherwise.
    That's unjustified generalizing.
    When you buy from ebay you will have to buy upfront in almost all cases. Which seller would send his stuff around to globe without getting paid?
    But I'd buy from ebay Germany without much hesitation if the seller's rating is good. The laws there (as they are the baseline of the contract in this case) are much more in your favour than here in SG. It helps to read the fine print.
    Last edited by Octarine; 1st April 2011 at 09:46 AM.
    EOS

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine

    That's unjustified generalizing.
    When you buy from ebay you will have to buy upfront in almost all cases. Which seller would send his stuff around to globe without getting paid?
    But I'd buy from ebay Germany without much hesitation if the seller's rating is good. The laws there (as they are the baseline of the contract in this case) are much more in your favour than here in SG. It helps to read the fine print.
    Actually, that was what I was asking him to do. Get it placed on eBay and we get it transacted thru pay pal. He said he just moved to the country and that would take time to set up bay account.

    Oh well, I generally like to trust people, but I think this one smells tricky.

  11. #11
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mengwei11

    Actually, that was what I was asking him to do. Get it placed on eBay and we get it transacted thru pay pal. He said he just moved to the country and that would take time to set up bay account.

    Oh well, I generally like to trust people, but I think this one smells tricky.
    Or you can use escrow service.

    Anyway, if the guy ask you to send money via western union, it is most probably a scam.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Would you buy a camera from an overseas seller?

    I think I had saw 2 seller in B&S based in overseas, think the ad had been removed already. When I saw the price, was thinking to myself really so cheap? Email them and when I saw their reply that they base overseas, I just ignore the msg already. Don't feel safe even is it true.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Would you buy a camera from an overseas seller?

    99% of nigerian scammers use a UK-based number and address. It's a fake. The number is a simple re-routing service and the address can be anything.
    Alpha

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huatman
    I think I had saw 2 seller in B&S based in overseas, think the ad had been removed already. When I saw the price, was thinking to myself really so cheap? Email them and when I saw their reply that they base overseas, I just ignore the msg already. Don't feel safe even is it true.
    Yes I think their thread has been removed. Hey thanks for the warning!!!!

    Now my big qn is buy brand new or 2nd hand.

  15. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Would you buy a camera from an overseas seller?

    Quote Originally Posted by mengwei11 View Post
    Now my big qn is buy brand new or 2nd hand.
    You will have to answer this yourself. Everyone's comfort level for 2nd hand items are different. Also, you will have to balance out the adv and disadv of 2nd hand and weigh it against brand new sets.

    Below are just some criteria to aid you in deciding... (you will have more)
    - Cost, is the price difference worth the risk? (if let's say the brand new is $1k, the 2nd hand is $950, dun bother abt the 2nd hand, pay the extra bit and ease ur heart alittle)
    - Uncertainty, was the item dropped/damaged before(AF mechanism damaged????)? got fungus (lowers IQ even if removed)? other issues(dirt & dust in the lens/body/sensors)? etc
    - Warranty, no warranty = cost when need repairing. Some repairs can be VERY expensive...
    - How do you feel abt the 2nd hand product? (If just looking at 2nd hand items makes your heart beats 3x more because of the above reasons, do yourself(heart) a favor and get a new one)

    If you have decided to get a 2nd hand one, check out the sticky (Buying 2nd Hand Lens) http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...nd-hand-lenses
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mengwei11

    Yes I think their thread has been removed. Hey thanks for the warning!!!!

    Now my big qn is buy brand new or 2nd hand.
    If you want to get a new set, decide soon, there might be an increase in the price in the near future, it already started in hongkong.

  17. #17
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Would you buy a camera from an overseas seller?

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    If you want to get a new set, decide soon, there might be an increase in the price in the near future, it already started in hongkong.
    And not only lens & cameras, even SD & Flash memory cards on the rise (and many more products)
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86

    If you want to get a new set, decide soon, there might be an increase in the price in the near future, it already started in hongkong.
    That's what I fear too... Ok 5d mk ii here I come

  19. #19
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Would you buy a camera from an overseas seller?

    Quote Originally Posted by mengwei11 View Post
    Yes I think their thread has been removed. Hey thanks for the warning!!!!

    Now my big qn is buy brand new or 2nd hand.
    Good thing you dodged a bullet.

    Remember. If it looks like turd, smells like turd, then it is most probably turd. Don't try to taste it to see if it taste like turd.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

    Good thing you dodged a bullet.

    Remember. If it looks like turd, smells like turd, then it is most probably turd. Don't try to taste it to see if it taste like turd.
    Ha ha. Thanks man!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •