Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sirui ballhead advices

Default Re: Sirui ballhead advices

Thanks for all the knowledge that you have shared with me. However I have another question, might be really stupid to all you expert out there. But I would like to know if there is a fomula for me to calculate...

My heaviest setup is around 3.2kg... and I know that the K-10X or G20 had a maximum load rating of 20kg, but I think that is not taking into the lenght of the lens in calculation. So in actual fact the maximum load (especially at strange angles) are not 20kg.

So was there a formula I can work on to see if there will be any ballhead creep when I load my heaviest setting to the ballhead?

am afraid not.
    Some people say double is good. Some say triple.
    The point is there is no standardized (and audited) way that the different manufacturers arrive at the ratings.
    Maybe if they (the manufacturers) provided a figure of how much torque the ballhead can withstand before slipping, that might be a bit more helpful. But fat chance
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    The other difference that I notice was that the K-10X had an extra spirit level while G-20 do not have.
    Note that G-20 does have a round circular level gauge built into the QR plate clamp as compared to K-10X which build the horizontal & vertical level gauge into the side of plate clamp.

My heaviest setup is around 3.2kg...see if there will be any ballhead creep when I load my heaviest setting to the ballhead
    Recommend that heaviest combination be brought to shop to test out if ball head works to one's satisfaction. My personal experience is to have bought a ball head able to carry my heaviest combination after making paper-based check of the specification and only to see it fail me during actual shoot.

For those who will be interested... well... I am really grateful for all the knowledge imparted to me in this thread. I tested out a few ballheads in TK and Cathay Photo... I find Sirui the best suited for me (for the price - like I say, I am a cheapskate). Anyway, instead of settling for the G-20 or the K-10x, I got myself the K-20X.

Then I got myself a Sirui R-2004 tripod, which was a pretty nice one. Will provide some reviews as soon as I have the time to try them out.

For those who will be interested... well... I am really grateful for all the knowledge imparted to me in this thread. I tested out a few ballheads in TK and Cathay Photo... I find Sirui the best suited for me (for the price - like I say, I am a cheapskate). Anyway, instead of settling for the G-20 or the K-10x, I got myself the K-20X.

Then I got myself a Sirui R-2004 tripod, which was a pretty nice one. Will provide some reviews as soon as I have the time to try them out.
    Why u took the K-20x instead of the K-10X ?

Quote Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
    Why u took the K-20x instead of the K-10X ?
    Well... I am taking into consideration for future upgrades of lens (maybe getting a bigger lens) I would not have to upgrade the ballhead... plus it feels better in my hand as compared to the K-10x (don't know why.)

Dun worry, the extra 30 is well spent. Heck, i would had spent another 30 more if not that the plate provided on K-30x is too large and I can't exchange the bigger plate for the standard ones for the smaller sirui ballhead
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Congrats on your purchase!
    Think you made a good decision.

TS: thanks for coming back to provide an update. Many ask for advice but not many take the bother to say what eventually happened. Hope you enjoy the hobby.

Hi. Thanks for all the help and encouragement for me to get a kick start in selecting a ballhead (and later a tripod) for my photography. As promised I will post a very brief review on the ballhead and tripod that I have bought. Hope that it will help the rest of the newbies in their selection of the ballhead and tripod. Note that this is not a professional reviews and so it should only be taken as a reference... (mod. If I am in the wrong section, please help me move it or delete the entire post totally, thanks).

Official spec of the two products are as shown,

Sirui R-2004

Material: Aluminum
    Number of sections: 4
    Maximum Diameter (legs): 28mm
    Minimum Diameter (legs): 19mm
    Minimum Height: 360mm
    Maximum Height: 1350mm
    Maximum Height (wth center extended): 1610mm
    Minimum Height (Storing height): 520mm
    Weight (without ballhead): 1.7kg
    Maximum Load (allowed): 15kg

Sirui K-20X

Maximum Diametre (Ball): 38mm
    Maximum Height: 98mm
    Weight: 0.4kg
    Maximum load (allowed): 25kg

Tripod without ballhead assembled

Tripod with ballhead assembled

The R-2004 also came with retractable spikes at its feet.

I didn't had time to bring the tripod out for a test. But I did a quick look at it in my room. (I know my room is a mess, so don't bother pointing it out).

The first thing I notice when deploying the tripod was that the screw locks are pretty tight and you need some force to unloosen the tightness of the screw locks so that the legs can extend... However I believe that is a must because I wouldn't want my tripod to collapse in the mist of a phototaking session because the screw lock loosen.

The ballhead is strong... I load it with mine heaviest set up (300mm f4L with 1.4x Kenko teleconverter, 40D + BG-E2 and 430EX II flash) - (1030g [camera with grip] + 330g [flash] + 1190g [300mm lens] + 181g [1.4x teleconverter] = 2731g)

The ballhead is strong enough to hold my heaviest setup in many different angle and locations as seen,

Basically during all these tests... I did not notice any visible ballhead creep (or I think that is what it is call - the ballhead seemed very solid and not moving when not wanted to).

Another feature that I found very useful (I believe this feature is available to most tripods though), was that the camera can be mounted reverse. This would enable taking photo at a very low level.

Last edited by rhino123; 10th April 2011 at 07:30 PM.

It is easy to do that, the first thing that we need to do was to remove the hook that was to be use for hooking of the bag.

The removal was easy, it was just a matter of unscrewing the hook from the stand.

After removal of the hook, the entire center piece can be removed from the tripod and inserted reverse. One common sense thing to take note of was that when removing and inserting the center piece reverse to the tripod was to ensure that the camera was not loaded on the tripod. Only after you have finish assembly, then load your camera on.

Other than this feature, the rest of the features are pretty standard... such as able to hook your bag on.

Overall I am pretty happy with the tripod and ballhead.

Last but not least, I think the tripod is stable enough for my set up... but I only had time to test it in my room, not sure how it would fare out in the field. I hope I have a chance to do it soon. Until then...

Nice write-up
    One way you can test for creep when outdoors is to compose by looking through the viewfinder with your 300/4L, then tighten the ballhead and see if there is any movement in your viewfinder.

awesome review

may i know how much for the tripod + ballhead?

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Nice write-up
    One way you can test for creep when outdoors is to compose by looking through the viewfinder with your 300/4L, then tighten the ballhead and see if there is any movement in your viewfinder.
    Great advice!

I think I will give it a test either next weekend or so

Quote Originally Posted by noobiee View Post
    awesome review

may i know how much for the tripod + ballhead?
    Got my tripod and ballhead from TK.

R-2004 - S$85
    K-20X - S$160

Sirui is quite value for money. Initially I thought mine was creeping, but when I checked again, it wasn't the ball-head but the plate that was mounted on my camera. I was too cautious and did not tighten it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathegg View Post
    Sirui is quite value for money. Initially I thought mine was creeping, but when I checked again, it wasn't the ball-head but the plate that was mounted on my camera. I was too cautious and did not tighten it a lot.
    Hmm... actually this is a good advice. I will tightened the plate as tight as possible... when on the tripod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12