Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sirui ballhead advices

Default Sirui ballhead advices

Hi, I finally wanted to bite the bullet and get myself a ballhead. I have narrow it down to G-20 and K-10X.

G-20 is going by S$30 cheaper than K-10X (price taken from TKfoto), but from Sirui official website, I notice that the two of them had similar spec (both have the same maximum load, share the same quick release plate) The G-20 is slightly heavier (at 0.05kg).

The actual spec from the website is as follows,

K-10X
    Material: Aluminum
    Alloy Plate Type Quick Release - with 1/4" screw + vhs pin
    Pan 360 Side Tilt 0/90
    Front/Back Tilt -180/+180 Pan Locking Yes
    Ballhead diameter: 33mm/1.30in
    Ballhead weigh: 0.35 kg/0.77 lbs
    Maximum Height: 88 mm/3.46 in
    Maximum Loading:20 kg/44 lbs

G-20
    Material Aluminum
    Alloy Plate Type Quick release - with 1/4" screw + vhs pin
    Pan 360 Side Tilt 0/90
    Front/Back Tilt -180/+180 Pan Locking Yes
    Ballhead diameter: 36mm/1.42in
    Ballhead weigh: 0.4 kg/0.88 lbs
    height: 98 mm/3.86 in
    Maximum load:20 kg/44 lbs

The other difference that I notice was that the K-10X had an extra spirit level while G-20 do not have.

G-20 had an extra friction knob, while K-10X incoorporate this knob into the main knob.

I am hoping that any of you could help me up here... which one of this ballhead should I get? Which is better value? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Sirui ballhead advices

depends how big you like your balls?

get your mind out of the gutter!

Do take the maximum load rating with a pinch of salt. There is no ISO standard testing procedure for such ratings.
    In either case your heaviest setup would probably not exceed 3 or 4kg?
    So I would say the main difference is ergonomics (2 friction knobs vs 1) and the larger ball in the G-20 possibly being smoother and stronger too.
    Spirit level at the base, to me not so useful. Depends on you.

Have not personally tried the K-10X, though heard good things about it.
    My vote (if it counts for anything) goes to the G-20
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post

Do take the maximum load rating with a pinch of salt. There is no ISO standard testing procedure for such ratings.
    So I would say the main difference is ergonomics (2 friction knobs vs 1) and the larger ball in the G-20 possibly being smoother and stronger too.

i would agree with the maximum load rating here... if you load to the max weight allowed, there might be some creeping...

Thanks alot. That is great help. Actually you help me make up my mind. I think I am leaning now towards the G-20. Well go and try out both ballheads this weekend then decide on which feels better for me.

I got G-10 (could be G-20 not sure)
    There is totally no issue with 2 friction knobs. Both knobs needs to be free to turn, locking one knob locks the thing.
    Basically I just free one always. So I only control using one knob.

I am guessing maybe... only if heavy gear then need to tighten both. Can't be sure.
    I don't see a serious problem here.
    Canon 550D - EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS / EF 50mm f1.8 II
    Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 APO DG Macro

Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    i would agree with the maximum load rating here... if you load to the max weight allowed, there might be some creeping...
    I think even before you get too near to the max rated weight, there would be some creeping
    It's not just the weight of your setup, but also the location of center of mass (ok, maybe too technical liao) of the setup.

Quote Originally Posted by zenix84 View Post
    There is totally no issue with 2 friction knobs. Both knobs needs to be free to turn, locking one knob locks the thing.

I am guessing maybe... only if heavy gear then need to tighten both. Can't be sure.
    One of the knob should be to control how loose the ball is when you release the main knob.
    Usually there should still be some friction on the ball when you loosen the main knob, so that:
    1) it's not too light. Easier for fine adjustments
    2) the whole setup doesn't fall to one side if you accidentally loosen the main knob.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Thanks alot. That is great help. Actually you help me make up my mind. I think I am leaning now towards the G-20. Well go and try out both ballheads this weekend then decide on which feels better for me.
    ok
    But don't let my biased opinion affect you too much.

Happy hunting!

the difference between G20 and K10X lies in their build quality also.

Quote Originally Posted by zenix84 View Post

I think even before you get too near to the max rated weight, there would be some creeping
    It's not just the weight of your setup, but also the location of center of mass (ok, maybe too technical liao) of the setup.
    One of the knob should be to control how loose the ball is when you release the main knob.
    Usually there should still be some friction on the ball when you loosen the main knob, so that:
    1) it's not too light. Easier for fine adjustments
    2) the whole setup doesn't fall to one side if you accidentally loosen the main knob.
    Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    the difference between G20 and K10X lies in their build quality also.
    Learn something new everyday in this forum

I think the two ballheads actually have very few differences and it all boils down to own preference. I think the best bet for me is to go down the store and try both out, then get one that I feel best... although I am leaning towards G-20 at the moment (S$30 cheaper - and yes, I am a cheapskate).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123

I think the two ballheads actually have very few differences and it all boils down to own preference. I think the best bet for me is to go down the store and try both out, then get one that I feel best... although I am leaning towards G-20 at the moment (S$30 cheaper - and yes, I am a cheapskate).
    Spend the extra 30. The main knob stopper is so much easier to handle than the friction knob. They work differently.

I used both, I go for K10X, more simplified G20.
    Bro photography hobby is all about BBB, you will never stop buying,
    so after you use for few months and you don't like it then sell it, get a another one again...

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Spend the extra 30. The main knob stopper is so much easier to handle than the friction knob. They work differently.
    ahhh... I just had a look at the pics of the K10X.... the friction knob is a small dial within the main knob... seems familiar

TS (rhino123), in that case I change my vote to K10X.... or maybe you wanna consider THIS ballhead?

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post

no harm to be a cheapskate, but if you're gonna be paying ___ amount of $ for a ballhead, it doesn't hurt to consider spending a bit more for something that might make it a more enjoyable experience in the long run.
    After all, if you get a good ballhead, you may not feel the need (depends, of course) to upgrade for quite some time.

Hahahaha... I think... since both are actually quite the same in term of paper spec. I will try them out in the shop first. Who knows... might even go for the K10X or even the K20X...

Thanks for all the advices though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra

ahhh... I just had a look at the pics of the K10X.... the friction knob is a small dial within the main knob... seems familiar

TS (rhino123), in that case I change my vote to K10X.... or maybe you wanna consider THIS ballhead?
    The screw in the main knob works as a stopper. So when set the main knob will stop at the desired friction as the starting point. This is how your markins work as well bro.

The separate friction knob controls the friction when the main knob is in zero friction. Meaning you can still release the main knob all the way till zero friction, but there is still friction in the ball which is set by the separate friction knob.

So the difference is that on the K heads (and markins) the range on the main knob is shorter, making it faster to use. The g20 main knob you can turn a lot more when releasing but the minimum friction remains, but when you tighten, you have to turn more.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 31st March 2011 at 10:45 AM.

The screw in the main knob works as a stopper. So when set the main knob will stop at the desired friction as the starting point. This is how your markins work as well bro.

The separate friction knob controls the friction when the main knob is in zero friction. Meaning you can still release the main knob all the way till zero friction, but there is still friction in the ball which is set by the separate friction knob.

So the difference is that on the K heads (and markins) the range on the main knob is shorter, making it faster to use. The g20 main knob you can turn a lot more when releasing but the minimum friction remains, but when you tighten, you have to turn more.
    as you have seen, me quite ignorant about the exact details of the Sirui range... especially more so now that they have come out with the K-range.
    Turning the knob lots and lots to achieve the friction lock is kinda troublesome, especially if you're trying to make lots of fine adjustments

anyway, i am using the K10X + R1204 combo.

what i know from the salesperson@TK is that the K series knob will not be dislocated from the ballhead even if you unscrew it all the way, whereas the G series acts the opposite way.

and yes, the screw at the main knob helps to regulate the friction, very useful indeed.

i say you spend the $30, you will be happy with it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tecnica
    and yes, the screw at the main knob helps to regulate the friction, very useful indeed.
    It does not really regulate the friction. It just stops the main knob at a certain location as the starting point. The friction is still maintained by the same mechanism linked to the main knob.

It does not really regulate the friction. It just stops the main knob at a certain location as the starting point. The friction is still maintained by the same mechanism linked to the main knob.
    yeah... for those ballheads with only 2 knobs (main + panning), the little screw on the main knob should be restricting the minimum friction when you loosen the main knob, so that some friction still remains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast