Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

  1. #1

    Exclamation Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

    i recently got an invitation as a photographer for an event in a pub/lounge. The place is very dark and i don't have a flash. Someone offered me an SB-600 flash but i will receive it only tomorrow during the event. I have never used flash guns before so need some recommended settings on this.

    Also when taking photos with flash, is it wise to shoot with the flash pointing upwards (which ever direction) with a reflector card out or directly or using an Omni-bounce diffuser?

    I'm not the event type so i'm very new to this thing. Experienced photographers please recommend me. Thanks

    By the way the event is tomorrow !

  2. #2
    Member r0n1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    799

    Default Re: Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

    Since you haven't use a flash before, I suggest you set the flash to TTL. Bouncing the light off the ceiling is a good idea to diffuse the light but the problem is you have to make sure the ceiling is not very high. Direct flash maybe too harsh. Use an omnibounce for a more diffused lighting. SB600 maybe not be sufficient if it's too dark. In that case, try to bump up the ISO. HTH.
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

  3. #3

    Default Re: Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

    Bro,

    I think.. Omni-bounce diffuser like CMI.
    Try to use a bounce card like http://www.spectralightdiffuser.com/

    Or best if you had a fast lens..

  4. #4
    Member r0n1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    799

    Default Re: Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

    Quote Originally Posted by bornwild4 View Post
    Bro, I think.. Omni-bounce diffuser like CMI.
    pardon my ignorance, but what's CMI?
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

  5. #5

    Default Re: Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

    Quote Originally Posted by r0n1n View Post
    pardon my ignorance, but what's CMI?
    CMI is Criminal Mind Investigation... hehehehhe... for CS lingo is Cannot Make It...
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

  6. #6
    Member r0n1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    799

    Default Re: Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

    Quote Originally Posted by akerue View Post
    CMI is Criminal Mind Investigation... hehehehhe... for CS lingo is Cannot Make It...
    i see thanks! in that case, TS is better off with a bounce card. i have no problem using my stofen though
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,571

    Default Re: Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

    If best you can shoot with a fast prime like 50/1.8 or faster lens. Increase the ISO. I'll shoot wide open for single subject.

    Suggest you prepare a white bounce card to attach with the speedlight. Rotate flash head upwards.

    Flash Settings: TTL, exposure compensation between -1 to -2EV, turn on AF-Assist Illuminator

    Bring extra set of batteries.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    225

    Default Re: Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

    When you bounce, do take note of the ceiling colour also... coloured/black ceilings will not give you very good outcome.

    High ISO is the way to go for PUB shoots as you want to capture the ambience of the pub.... colourful spot light etc

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    225

    Default Re: Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

    When you bounce, do take note of the ceiling colour also... coloured/black ceilings will not give you very good outcome.

    High ISO is the way to go for PUB shoots as you want to capture the ambience of the pub.... colourful spot light etc

  10. #10
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

    Quote Originally Posted by r0n1n View Post
    Since you haven't use a flash before, I suggest you set the flash to TTL. Bouncing the light off the ceiling is a good idea to diffuse the light but the problem is you have to make sure the ceiling is not very high. Direct flash maybe too harsh. Use an omnibounce for a more diffused lighting. SB600 maybe not be sufficient if it's too dark. In that case, try to bump up the ISO. HTH.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmayeo View Post
    If best you can shoot with a fast prime like 50/1.8 or faster lens. Increase the ISO. I'll shoot wide open for single subject.

    Suggest you prepare a white bounce card to attach with the speedlight. Rotate flash head upwards.

    Flash Settings: TTL, exposure compensation between -1 to -2EV, turn on AF-Assist Illuminator

    Bring extra set of batteries.
    Big problem is, most pubs will paint their ceiling black or some funky colors. If you point your flash up and bounce, You are either going to lose a lot of light, or you will have a hell of a job of WB adjustment in PP. In your case, I suggest off camera flash. Don't need light stands or anything. Just use a off camera TTL cable. Hold the camera with one hand, and your flash in your other hand.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,571

    Default Re: Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Big problem is, most pubs will paint their ceiling black or some funky colors. If you point your flash up and bounce, You are either going to lose a lot of light, or you will have a hell of a job of WB adjustment in PP. In your case, I suggest off camera flash. Don't need light stands or anything. Just use a off camera TTL cable. Hold the camera with one hand, and your flash in your other hand.
    If TS don't have TTL cord, he can activate CLS with off camera speedlight.

  12. #12

    Default

    You can also try something like this..
    There are a few models out there



    Sent from my iPhone using ClubSNAP

  13. #13

    Default Re: Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

    Thanks guys for your fast replies. Forgot to mention i'm using a D5000 so No AF motor or Wireless CLS. The cord sells for like $70 right? Don't have cash to buy cables. I'll take note on the ceiling colors. Does SB-600 have an in-built bounce card? I'm actually thinking of getting a light sphere. Seen a couple of shots with that an looking surprisingly good. Any suggestions?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,571

    Default Re: Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    Thanks guys for your fast replies. Forgot to mention i'm using a D5000 so No AF motor or Wireless CLS. The cord sells for like $70 right? Don't have cash to buy cables. I'll take note on the ceiling colors. Does SB-600 have an in-built bounce card? I'm actually thinking of getting a light sphere. Seen a couple of shots with that an looking surprisingly good. Any suggestions?
    SB-600 does not have built-in bounce card.

    Light sphere can do too. But it can be blinding though my friend's experience.
    I was shooting beside him and the light sphere distribute light all over. Just a caution of usage.
    Last edited by wmayeo; 30th March 2011 at 12:50 AM. Reason: added comments

  15. #15

    Default Re: Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

    Quote Originally Posted by wmayeo View Post

    Flash Settings: TTL, exposure compensation between -1 to -2EV, turn on AF-Assist Illuminator

    Bring extra set of batteries.
    Do people usually turn Exposure compensation down to -1 to -2 when using flash? I have a battery pack Vertical grip so i think that should probably last me the whole day.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,571

    Default Re: Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

    I use that on TTL setting to reduce the power of the flash on my subjects.

    If you're on manual setting, then it depends on your ISO, aperture, distance between subject & speedlight. It can be more tricky to use especially you are receiving the speedlight at the event.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,571

    Default Re: Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

    You can begin to read this if you have the time. http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogsp...-metering.html

  18. #18
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    Thanks guys for your fast replies. Forgot to mention i'm using a D5000 so No AF motor or Wireless CLS. The cord sells for like $70 right? Don't have cash to buy cables. I'll take note on the ceiling colors. Does SB-600 have an in-built bounce card? I'm actually thinking of getting a light sphere. Seen a couple of shots with that an looking surprisingly good. Any suggestions?
    I got my cord for around 30+. Then again I bought it China. You can probably find it in mass sales for around 40-50+.

    Lightsphere (if you get original) will run you 70-90+ already. And seriously speaking LS is only helpful if you lots of walls and ceiling to let light bounce off from. Then you run into the same problem of color of walls etc... A bounce card might work... a big one.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

    Quote Originally Posted by wmayeo View Post
    You can begin to read this if you have the time. http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogsp...-metering.html
    Thanks wmayeo, you've been helpful especially the link you've given : D

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I got my cord for around 30+. Then again I bought it China. You can probably find it in mass sales for around 40-50+.

    Lightsphere (if you get original) will run you 70-90+ already. And seriously speaking LS is only helpful if you lots of walls and ceiling to let light bounce off from. Then you run into the same problem of color of walls etc... A bounce card might work... a big one.
    Not getting Gary's version. Cheap one will do. Hmm.. big bounce cards, how big you recommend? Like these?

  20. #20
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    Thanks wmayeo, you've been helpful especially the link you've given : D


    Not getting Gary's version. Cheap one will do. Hmm.. big bounce cards, how big you recommend? Like these?
    As big as humanly possible... it is also better if someone can hold a large reflector and you bounce your flash into that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •