Thread: About Flash Units

Default About Flash Units

Hi all,

Need some advice from you guys on flash units. Has the following questions in mind:

1) If lets say i have a DC(non-TTL hotshoe) which requires a flash unit with the following:
    -The aperture can be set,
    -External flash synchronization can be used,
    -The ISO sensitivity can be set.

Does it mean I need a flash unit that has a dedicated mode called "Manual" (or whatever is the term)? If the flash only has "TTL" or/and "Auto" mode, does that means it totally won't work at all?

2) Thinking of getting a flash that possess the above requirements, plus the following:
    -a reasonably powerful GN,
    -vari-power (since no TTL, the flash will be quite strong at times)
    -Bounce and Swivel capability.

Currently looking at Vivitar 285HV (but it can't swivel ) Read that the Sunpak 383 and 433D fit quite nicely in all aspects, but also heard that you can hardly find any of them locally. Any idea and advice on this?

Thanks in advance.

Hi azone,

About any modern flashes you find on the market nowadays support manual and auto modes, will allow you to set ISO and aperture (in auto mode, in manual mode it just fires full strength), and have socket for flash sync cord. Only TTL mode is brand specific. For a DC without TTL, you can always use the auto or manual mode the flash provides. Personally I find tilt and swivel is a very important feature, and vari power output setting is a nice feature to have. A flash that allows for flash compensation is useful too.

Default Re: About Flash Units

Originally posted by azone
    Currently looking at Vivitar 285HV (but it can't swivel ) Read that the Sunpak 383 and 433D fit quite nicely in all aspects, but also heard that you can hardly find any of them locally. Any idea and advice on this?
    383 and 433D are the same exept that 433D has dedication.

Another one would be what I'm using, Metz 32-Z1. It's a bit weaker than the 285HV or the 383 and doesn't have varipower but it meets the rest of the requirements.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Hmm.. thanks ziploc and mpenza for the enlightenment and recommendation. Appreciate them very much.