Thread: Metering

Default Metering

Hi, when do i use evaluation, partial, spot and for landscape do i use all my focus point(i think need but not all will focus) ..
    If the photo i took is 1% unclear, I will rather delete .. www.flickr.com/photos/59837685@N03/

Default Re: Metering

Quote Originally Posted by canonmono View Post
    Hi, when do i use evaluation, partial, spot and for landscape do i use all my focus point(i think need but not all will focus) ..
    Well, pretty common sense...

Evaluative: When you want the camera to meter the whole scene
    Partial: when you want the camera to meter based on a section of the image
    Spot: when you want the camera to only use one small spot for metering.

Which to choose when will depend on what you are shooting and what outcome you desire. This is where your creativity as a photographer comes in. There is no magic formula.

For landscapes, you could use wide area AF, or spot, etc. Up to you. But if you're serious about landscapes, learn about hyperfocal distance.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post

There is no magic formula.
    did i see someone type the magic settings?

Hmm, no offense but I hardly think it's common sense..

Metering modes are difficult at first for beginners to understand. But as they go along, they will start to know and understand more.

So what's left to do is tons of reading up and practice. That's about it I guess.

hi brother, how r u ?

i would recommend some book on exposure... i read 2 good ones, but only can remember the title for one. it is by Michael Freeman, known as Perfect Exposure.

TS, Page 119 in the 60D manual gives a decent description of the metering modes.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/9/030000...60d-im2-en.pdf

For a more in depth description on when to use them, you should pick up a book or search online.

http://www.digicamhelp.com/camera-fe...odes/metering/

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    hi brother, how r u ?

i would recommend some book on exposure... i read 2 good ones, but only can remember the title for one. it is by Michael Freeman, known as Perfect Exposure.
    hi bro, ok thx i will research on it ..
    If the photo i took is 1% unclear, I will rather delete .. www.flickr.com/photos/59837685@N03/