Thread: Charcoal Absorber in Dry Cabinet?

Default Charcoal Absorber in Dry Cabinet?

Hi,

i was thinking of putting those charcoal absorber into my dry cabinet. Will there be any harmful effect on my lens and camera?

Regards

Default Re: Charcoal Absorber in Dry Cabinet?

Quote Originally Posted by blackwire View Post
    Hi,

i was thinking of putting those charcoal absorber into my dry cabinet. Will there be any harmful effect on my lens and camera?

Regards
    Why introduce charcoal absorber when the dry cabinet is capable of regulating the humidity? Harmful effect I can think of is the charcoal dust if it is not packed properly and it take up space in the cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesf View Post
    Why introduce charcoal absorber when the dry cabinet is capable of regulating the humidity? Harmful effect I can think of is the charcoal dust if it is not packed properly and it take up space in the cabinet.

The dry cabinet only regulate e humidity but the charcoal absorb any smell. I was thinking that putting the charcoal in will help to absorb any unwanted smell.

I did that too. So far so good. My sweaty neckstrap really smells bad. Wahaha
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by blackwire View Post
    The dry cabinet only regulate e humidity but the charcoal absorb any smell. I was thinking that putting the charcoal in will help to absorb any unwanted smell.
    what smell are you worried about...?
    Alpha

I dun put my strap in the cabinet, I leave it under the sun after every use.

i din even put on the strap to my camera. Dun see the need to yet as i din really walk around with it.

Just thought of putting in the charcoal absorber to absorb any smell if there is, and wondering whether there will be any effect to the lens and camera...

Mate, I'm just thinking of the dust the charcoal can create inside... other than that i dont think it will be any issues. If your worried about your strap? if its leather... i think better not to put it inside... it its washable... then have it washed then dry thoroughly under the sun.
    Canon 550D /18-135/50 1.8/75-300 USM III/10-22/70-200 f2.8L IS II/

What about scented thirsty hippo?
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

i am using those gel type charcoal and it should not be having dust. But since it is those gel gel with liquid content, i am afraid that the cabinet have to work harder to maintain the RH level, so i drop that idea and took out the gel charcoal already.

Scented thirsty hippo got is scented, looking to rid any smell instead of having another scent.

Suddenly thought of ioniser. Hahahahha

A dry cabinet by itself is sufficient. But if you really must put something more consider a fungicide like this:

http://en.item.rakuten.com/jism/4977...144-34-7022-n/