Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: National serviceman needs maid to carry his backpack

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119

might as well say hand pain and next day died because no MC how ?

come on, thats not fair.... of course I will raise a stink if its my own child and I will deal with it when it happens ...... and just hope that imy kid does not draw THAT short end of the straw....

I know you're drawing me into an argument .... which I will not participate in nor reply further my buddy.... but I will say this ...... putting/processing kids through a regime like NS is unfortunately no different from a production line.... damaged stuff and rejects happen and are an unavoidable cost ..... factory will of course try to keep it as low as possible ...... but zero casualty ? There is a cost to achieve zero default rate..... and its not cheap....... everything slows to a crawl to make sure there are NO damaged goods or QC is so low that EVERYTHING is passed ..... or live with the inevitable casulties, tough choices that society has to make, no ?

Again you just pray and hope that your own makes it out a better person and in one piece.

Thats life.... or how I see life in situations like this... try our best as frog parents knowing that not all the eggs we lay are going to make it to adulthood

Out.
    Not sure if hand pain is the same as flu.. I know that I don't run when I've got the flu, but I've run with hand pain before.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not raring for an argument and I agree in some sense with what you say about being overprotective. My next question to you is - if what I had raised earlier transpired, and the SAF gives the explanation you gave, ie production line losses, what would you think?

What can the SAF say in such a case?

Blog Entries

Default Re: National serviceman needs maid to carry his backpack

sorry bro....... said what i wanted to say ....... SAF will just need to be politically sensitive in its statement in such situations .......

incumbent or opposition .... you think politicians tell you the hard truth ? It will be politically correct and diplomatically delivered .
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Something to highlight, if your son went to NS, complained of flu/cough, MO say, no go.

Next day, he runs 2.4 km anyways and he collapses and dies. What will be your reaction, upon knowledge of the MO's assessment? You will pump your fists in the air and say "Attaboy, MO! You're making a man out of him?"
    unlikely scenario. even in my time, instructors always asked us just before the 2.4 km whether anyone was not feeling well and therefore not fit to do the run. those who were not up to it could fall out.

having said that, there has to be a balance between tough/effective training and taking care of the soldiers. i expect army MO's to be as professional as any other professional doctor; to give their best diagnosis and treatment of the soldiers. I am pretty sure most MO's out there prefer to err on the side of caution, and to give MC's where they are most likely deserved. I can also tell you that there are professional malingerers out there who can pretty much "keng" their entire army service by one kkj medical excuse/deferment/dunno what crap after another, despite the efforts of the SAF and the MO's to identify and deal with them.

one NSman's life lost in training is one too many, but a soft and unprepared army can cause the whole country to be lost in wartime. that's the tough balancing act the SAF and singapore must maintain.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Something very interesting!

.....many commanders have runners and runners carry their barang barang(commander's barang barang) and sometimes their 'wivies'.
    these are happening ... don't you think commanders should carry their own barang barang?

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post

.....many commanders have runners and runners carry their barang barang(commander's barang barang) and sometimes their 'wivies'.
    these are happening ... don't you think commanders should carry their own barang barang?
    This is different. They are commanders, are you? And commanders in the Army have runners to do all their daily chores for them. This happens everywhere, even in the US Army. What we are discussing here is our boys, the fighting forces. Please do not mix them up.

Getting back to our boys, I seriously need to rethink that during a war, we can depend on our Army!
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post

of course. commanders must lead by example.

general zhukov of russia pushed the germans all the way back to berlin during WW2 because he led by example and earned his men's respect. gen zhukov lived and ate in the same conditions as his men, no preferential treatment for himself or his officers. that's why his russian troops were willing to fight to the death for him and defeat the germans.

give me a commander like that anyday rather than the stuck-up, arrogant, high and mighty commanders/officers who only know how to make their men serve them rather than to lead and inspire their men. commanders, above all, should practice what they preach. if they tell the men that their "wives" have to be with them all the time, the commander better jolly well do the same. what nonsense is it when the commander on the field has to call his runner to bring his SBO, helmet and rifle to him when the enemy starts attacking?

Cao Cao, the famous general from the Three Kingdoms period of China, was equally strict to his soldiers, officers and himself. When he set a rule, everybody including himself had to obey it, with no exceptions.

that's the difference between a good commander that everyone respects and a lousy one that everybody despises.
    Last edited by zaren; 30th March 2011 at 04:12 PM.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    NO freaking WAY !!!!!! are u serious ??? Man, so, NSF boys are like ...... posers these days ???
    Actually it depends on the company you are sent to, some OCs do not believe in this and you still can get dropped 100-200 counts.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    ...NSF boys are like ...... posers these days ???
    We have to do something before they slide into a soft life:

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    This is different. They are commanders, are you? And commanders in the Army have runners to do all their daily chores for them. This happens everywhere, even in the US Army. What we are discussing here is our boys, the fighting forces. Please do not mix them up.

Getting back to our boys, I seriously need to rethink that during a war, we can depend on our Army!
    commanders? let's see.. i brew coffee for my B2IC and CO...and OC... HAHAHA.

and i'm a 3SG in the Army

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    ... and i'm a 3SG in the Army
    sure anot bro?!

but you were a Lieutenant in SAFTI-MI!!!
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

i feel proud wearing the army uniform when i first join the army many years ago, i guess this guy dont share my sentiments.
    i hope this is a unique case and doesnt reflect the majority.

suggest the SAF to come out a TV serials to boost its image. i still remember how proud i am to be in the army after watching 新兵小传.
    what happen to the army pride in our younger generation?

we famous in starlight lo
    Canon 1D MK3,28-200 F3.5-5.6, 100 F2
    My Models

Quote Originally Posted by Netasia View Post
    i feel proud wearing the army uniform when i first join the army many years ago, i guess this guy dont share my sentiments.

suggest the SAF to come out a TV serials to boost its image. i still remember how proud i am to be in the army after watching 新兵小传.
    u nv watch Every Singaporean' son very drama
    Canon 1D MK3,28-200 F3.5-5.6, 100 F2
    My Models

There's a recent documentary on Nat Geo called "Every Singapore Son" which paints a pretty accurate picture of BMT in recent times

Last edited by ed9119; 31st March 2011 at 07:57 AM.

Didn't you catch the last SAF serial propaganda produced by mediacorpses?

Captain Felicia Chin, Felicia Chin... fail lah...
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 30th March 2011 at 09:57 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealDreamWalker View Post
    sure anot bro?!

but you were a Lieutenant in SAFTI-MI!!!
    ROFL. really just a small small 3SG. i'm not sure some people are spreading stories about my "exploits"

oooooh. the Mediacorp costume/clothes store... it's been a long long time since i last set foot inside

looks like she's "karate-chopping" her forehead ROFL

honestly, i've never seen a female regular with make-up on >.<

Didn't you catch the last SAF serial propaganda produced by mediacorpses?

wah, drool.....
    Objection !!!

nu da shi ba bian.

Objection !!!

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast