Thread: How to avoid grainy photo in low light and q. on aperture

Default How to avoid grainy photo in low light and q. on aperture

Hello!

May I know what do you guys do to avoid grainy photos in low light conditions? Cause normally low light means high ISO, but it gives me grainy photos =(

How does F-stop help in this? Also, an additional question, my lens is a canon 18 - 55 f 3.5 - 5.6. What does these numbers mean? Because on my camera, i can go up to F 22. Please kindly advise!

Thanks!

Default Re: How to avoid grainy photo in low light and q. on aperture

there is something call tripod. otherwise, get a faster lense for low light or full frame with better iso performance.
    [Canon EOS 5D II + 40D | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II + 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II] [Fuji X-Pro1 + XF35mm f/1.4]

Blog Entries

TS, please read up this guide for more information:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/309544-Photography-Notes-For-Newbies

You can also shoot RAW and apply noise reduction

Quote Originally Posted by icy55 View Post
    Hello!

May I know what do you guys do to avoid grainy photos in low light conditions? Cause normally low light means high ISO, but it gives me grainy photos =(

How does F-stop help in this? Also, an additional question, my lens is a canon 18 - 55 f 3.5 - 5.6. What does these numbers mean? Because on my camera, i can go up to F 22. Please kindly advise!

Thanks!
    You can either use flash, or use tripod, depending on the amount of motion you are ok with in your picture. For example, it's probably not a good idea to do a 20 second exposure if you're taking a photo of a friend.

That said, you can also use a good noise reduction program to help. Noise Ninja is my recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by icy55 View Post

Thanks!
    f/3.5-5.6 is the maximum aperture you can use at a particular focal length.
    You will notice that at 18mm, you can use from f/3.5 - _____ (I guess it's f/22?)
    but at 55mm, you can use from f/5.6 - _____
    Exploring! :)

Hi there, i have a similar problem here too, i was in a boat tour and is dark in the boat and there is very nice lighting outside, and i want to take photo with my wife, and i use flash light, my wife is clear but dark outside,, how do i take so that both is nice? can see my wife and outside lighting,, and the boat is moving also. pls help

Quote Originally Posted by ahseng79 View Post
    Hi there, i have a similar problem here too, i was in a boat tour and is dark in the boat and there is very nice lighting outside, and i want to take photo with my wife, and i use flash light, my wife is clear but dark outside,, how do i take so that both is nice? can see my wife and outside lighting,, and the boat is moving also. pls help
    You would need some knowledge of flash photography to take a picture with even lighting in this situation.

Selection of a good ISO which would allow you to expose your wife and the outside lighting reasonably well, along with technique which would allow you to prevent the flash from being too harsh, would help in this case.

You need some understanding of exposure and flash.
    Here is a guide :

1. Switch to M mode.
    2. Meter for the ambinet (ie. bkgnd)
    3. Make sure the exposure settings given is something you and handhold and your subject can hold still for.
    (Eg. 1/30 is reasonable; 5s is not )
    4. Compensate between shutter speed, ISO, aperture to get #3.
    5. This done. Your camera will expose for the background nicely
    6. Turn on your flash. If it works on TTL mode, then it will control flash power to properly expose your subject (ie. wife in your case)
    7. If using manual flash, adjust flash power to properly expose subject. This may take a few tries.

Its best to do some read up to understand it as there are a couple of variables to all this.

thanks alots to both with the tips u both gave me,, will try it out, if there's any question will ask again thanks again

i am having a canon 60D, and trying to figure it out is there a function for TTL, i was very new to photograph starting to love it

i think u're trying to get this kinda shoot

set ur camera to manual & expose the background properly and set ur built in flash power accordingly to properly light ur subject(i never really trust the E-TTL in manual mode)
    i buy i sell i use, repeat, such are the vicious endless cycle of GAS

yeah yeah something like that but er.... in the boat, will abit shaky and dark also,, the photo looks bright and the background is not clear, i would like to have both clear

I went to library to look for some book for photography, is there any book to recommended?

Hi there i have another question to ask, i am going museum tomo and all the things is in the glass shelving, how am i going to take good pictures and without reflection, and also if anyone read my previous question can someone help to answer thnks

yeah yeah something like that but er.... in the boat, will abit shaky and dark also,, the photo looks bright and the background is not clear, i would like to have both clear
    i also having the same problem when taking night portrait shot with night cityscape background. (eg. Taking my family photo in front of MBS at night)
    the result i wanted is to have a clear background and portrait together. in the end, i got the person overexpose and background blackout.

1.pump up iso will get noise.
    2.using slower shutter will get blur if the person move.
    3.apenture lower will not get a sharp photo.
    4.using flash will expose the person, background blackout.

Need some advise too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmadness View Post
    i also having the same problem when taking night portrait shot with night cityscape background. (eg. Taking my family photo in front of MBS at night)
    the result i wanted is to have a clear background and portrait together. in the end, i got the person overexpose and background blackout.

1.pump up iso will get noise.
    2.using slower shutter will get blur if the person move.
    3.apenture lower will not get a sharp photo.
    4.using flash will expose the person, background blackout.

Need some advise too.
    In a way its a matter or compromise. No perfect solution.

#1 - Noise is a reality. Get used to it and get familiar with the ISO that your camera can use acceptably. W/o pixel peeping, high ISO at 1600 and even 3200 should be usable on most DSLRs.
    #2 - Use a shutter speed that is reasonable and ask the subject not to move for a 'short while'. - can't expect miracles if technically, the camera is at its limits. 1/10, 1/20, 1/30, 1/60 are all reasonable timings to ask your subject to keep still for. Its not that long, 'schickkkk... ' and the picture is taken.
    #3 - Frankly, this is another reality to face (camera at limits). At best you can position all the people in about the same plane of focus.
    #4 - Use flash as described a few posts above http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...32#post7091232

Most importantly, keep thinking, keep trying. Gd Luck

1. A boat as a shooting platform can never be dead still.
    2. The background light you get on a moving boat, because of long exposure, will always appear as streaks.
    3. The longer the exposure, the longer the streak. And if the boat roll, can count the frequency from the series of "M" you get.
    Last edited by shierwin; 5th April 2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: typo