Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

  1. #1

    Default Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

    Hi everyone.
    I am new user after buyin a K-x from a fellow CS Pentax user.Currently my setup is the 18-55mm kit lens.After reading around the forum,i came across this lens and thought it would complement my current setup as it has the range which im lacking atm.Morever,this lens imo would be perfect for my upcomin trip to Phuket in June.Versatility of this lens is great as i get the best of both worlds be it for wide shots or tele shots.Can any seniors here give their personal reviews of this lens and where can i buy it?Or is there another lens that in your opinion would suit my requirements?
    Another query i have is with regards to low light situations.Is there a lens with a smaller f-stop(correct me if im wrong here cos if i remember correctly,smaller f-stop ie f1.8 allows more light in,helping alot in those situations) to help me out in those situations.i read the newbie section and came across someone sayin a 50mm/f1.8 lens is the answer to those situations.

    Hope to hear some advise from everyone.
    Thank you in advance.

    Best regards.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

    Actually it depends on what you want. 18-250mm is versatile since u can use one lens to go wide or tele. But most of the time, these kind of lens have distortion due to its massive focal from wide to tele. But the good thing is, u dun need to change lens.

    If ur a beginner, this lens is good since I think a small distortion of barrell n pincushion wont make an impact on you(actually they're not really noticable). But if u already have 18-55, n feel that u dun mind changing lens then get the 50-200 or 55-300 to couple it. Also a good decision.

    Those f1.2,f1.8 does bring in more light but sometimes these lens has softness, it depends which lens u getting. FA50mm f1.4 potrait lens is good for potrait shot of people since u can get good bokeh when open wide(f1.4) but it has some softness to it. Aperture depends on how much depth of field u want to be in focus. Surely f1.4, u cant use it for landscape shot.

    My Suggestion to u, get the 50-200 or 55-300 n 1 Prime Lens(50mm be it manual or autofocus). The 18-250/200/270 I tell u, once u got the hang or photography u will sell. They r easy to find in B&S.
    My Flickr iownthislensthatlensthislensthatlens

  3. #3

    Default Re: Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

    Ok thank you Ricsal for the advise.So to my undestandin of wat you said,get a telezoom like the 50-200 or 55-300 and a prime lens to start off.
    Is this what you meant by Prime lens : Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Lens? i've gotten the 50-200mm and now im in preparation for the Hari Raya celebrations where i'll be taking lots of photos indoors and lots of potrait shots. Besides the Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Lens,is there any other lens that is similar to it?And where can i purchase it?
    Thanks and regard.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

    it seems that its kinda hard to find the Prime lens with AF.i saw alot of the manual focus lens selling @ B&S section.can anyone explain why is tat so?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by apek7 View Post
    Ok thank you Ricsal for the advise.So to my undestandin of wat you said,get a telezoom like the 50-200 or 55-300 and a prime lens to start off.
    Is this what you meant by Prime lens : Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Lens? i've gotten the 50-200mm and now im in preparation for the Hari Raya celebrations where i'll be taking lots of photos indoors and lots of potrait shots. Besides the Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Lens,is there any other lens that is similar to it?And where can i purchase it?
    Thanks and regard.
    can refer to price guide for price and source:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...ice-Guide-2011

    Quote Originally Posted by apek7 View Post
    it seems that its kinda hard to find the Prime lens with AF.i saw alot of the manual focus lens selling @ B&S section.can anyone explain why is tat so?
    a lot of MF lenses are selling because pentax is one of very few systems where you can still use a 20 year old MF lens with in-body shake reduction (SR).

  6. #6

    Default Re: Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

    Me too, newbie. Any pro or con of using MF or AF lens? Is the price difference a lot?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by funkyjazz View Post
    Me too, newbie. Any pro or con of using MF or AF lens? Is the price difference a lot?
    Yes of course.. And try googling for more info, millions of newbie already asked about the same question before.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by funkyjazz View Post
    Me too, newbie. Any pro or con of using MF or AF lens? Is the price difference a lot?
    agree that this issue had been discussed to death.

    but as a general guide, price wise, you generally get what you pay for and AF lenses are obviously easier to use. i don't recommend buying MF lenses just to save money. i only buy MF lenses when they're doing something an AF lens can't do - like exceptional handling and image quality, or rarity - and you don't necessarily pay less for such lenses.

    for the current range, a DA35 F2.4 is already very affordable, has very good IQ and has a field of view that's more versatile than an older MF 50mm so its a no brainer.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by funkyjazz View Post
    Me too, newbie. Any pro or con of using MF or AF lens? Is the price difference a lot?
    Saw your post in Newbies section as well.

    For Manual lenses :
    'K' and 'M' series lenses are cheaper but its manual focus and aperture control
    'A' series is a bit more. Manual focus but aperture control can be done via camera body.


    Manual Focus means your hand becomes the focus motor
    The good thing is that Pentax cameras give focus confirmation once you get focus.

    Manual Aperture just means you need to press the 'Green button' to meter (ie. get correct exposure)

    Auto Aperture, the camera can control the aperture and you can aslo use aperture piority mode (Av mode).
    You also get full EXIF information on the photos.
    Flash works in PTTL (ie. flash Pentax 'automatic' mode)

    It all depends on how willing you are to work with manual lenses for them to be worth it.
    A M50/1.4 is as good optically as the current FA50/1.4 at perhaps 1/3 the price, but you lack the auto focus and other advantages as mentioned above.


    Price difference depends on the lens in question.
    Some lenses are legendary, good and rare. These are never cheap.

    Others are good, abundant and cheap.
    Eg. common focal length lenses like 28, 35, 50mm are cheap.
    Pentax does offer this advantage of cheap and good old lenses for the frugal photographer.

    Another example :
    The very good K135/2.5. Recently discussed here.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...-k135-2.5-lens
    A very well made lens with a smooth/nice rendering.
    You'd have to pay in the ball park of $1.3k or higher for a modern AF lens (almost all brands)
    This one you pay around $400+

  10. #10

    Default Re: Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Saw your post in Newbies section as well.

    For Manual lenses :
    'K' and 'M' series lenses are cheaper but its manual focus and aperture control
    'A' series is a bit more. Manual focus but aperture control can be done via camera body.


    Manual Focus means your hand becomes the focus motor
    The good thing is that Pentax cameras give focus confirmation once you get focus.

    Manual Aperture just means you need to press the 'Green button' to meter (ie. get correct exposure)

    Auto Aperture, the camera can control the aperture and you can aslo use aperture piority mode (Av mode).
    You also get full EXIF information on the photos.
    Flash works in PTTL (ie. flash Pentax 'automatic' mode)

    It all depends on how willing you are to work with manual lenses for them to be worth it.
    A M50/1.4 is as good optically as the current FA50/1.4 at perhaps 1/3 the price, but you lack the auto focus and other advantages as mentioned above.


    Price difference depends on the lens in question.
    Some lenses are legendary, good and rare. These are never cheap.

    Others are good, abundant and cheap.
    Eg. common focal length lenses like 28, 35, 50mm are cheap.
    Pentax does offer this advantage of cheap and good old lenses for the frugal photographer.

    Another example :
    The very good K135/2.5. Recently discussed here.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...-k135-2.5-lens
    A very well made lens with a smooth/nice rendering.
    You'd have to pay in the ball park of $1.3k or higher for a modern AF lens (almost all brands)
    This one you pay around $400+
    Thank you so much for your helpfulness on the detail explanation to a newbie. So for beginner, AF lens will be a better choice since less thing to adjust.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by funkyjazz View Post
    Thank you so much for your helpfulness on the detail explanation to a newbie. So for beginner, AF lens will be a better choice since less thing to adjust.
    Actually I'll mention that AF will be easier to start shooting. But within a short time, newbies will learn that there are differences as to where to focus (and they'll start to manipulate the various camera focusing modes - spot etc). Once they're at that stage, then the distinction between AF/MF may reduce (except for shots that require focus tracking of the subject). It's a continuous learning curve, and highly enjoyable.
    Picture technologist
    Flickr Homepage

  12. #12

    Default Re: Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by pentlynk View Post
    Actually I'll mention that AF will be easier to start shooting. But within a short time, newbies will learn that there are differences as to where to focus (and they'll start to manipulate the various camera focusing modes - spot etc). Once they're at that stage, then the distinction between AF/MF may reduce (except for shots that require focus tracking of the subject). It's a continuous learning curve, and highly enjoyable.
    Well said. I totally agree.

    To thread-starter, I strongly suggest you get the 18-250mm lens first for your upcoming trip because enjoyment is utmost during a vacation instead of keep thinking which lens to use. Lens changing might kill the fun unless you are already quite proficient with determining what focal length to snap the shot. This comes with alot of practice. Another reason to get the 18-250 is because you are just starting out, so the long focal length will help to identify what kind of photography you fancy then you consider getting lenses to suit your photography style and genre. Maybe you like to take landscape then you can spend to get Ultra-wide-angle (UWA) lens. Maybe you like Portrait, then you can get the DA Limited 70mm lens or some 50mm lens. If you like macro (aka close-up) then you can get macro lens, but beware good macro lens don't come cheap.

    There are many genre, but ultimately which one you will end up with might be too early to tell. So take it easy, get a versatile lens and try until you are certain.

    To obtain a 18-250mm lens, you can try posting Want-to-buy (WTB) ad in the Buy/Sell Pentax section to buy 2nd hand or call up any camera shops in Funan to check if they have stock if you want to buy new.
    Aaron Neo | flickr

  13. #13

    Default Re: Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by neon2 View Post
    Well said. I totally agree.

    To thread-starter, I strongly suggest you get the 18-250mm lens first for your upcoming trip because enjoyment is utmost during a vacation instead of keep thinking which lens to use. Lens changing might kill the fun unless you are already quite proficient with determining what focal length to snap the shot. This comes with alot of practice. Another reason to get the 18-250 is because you are just starting out, so the long focal length will help to identify what kind of photography you fancy then you consider getting lenses to suit your photography style and genre. Maybe you like to take landscape then you can spend to get Ultra-wide-angle (UWA) lens. Maybe you like Portrait, then you can get the DA Limited 70mm lens or some 50mm lens. If you like macro (aka close-up) then you can get macro lens, but beware good macro lens don't come cheap.

    There are many genre, but ultimately which one you will end up with might be too early to tell. So take it easy, get a versatile lens and try until you are certain.

    To obtain a 18-250mm lens, you can try posting Want-to-buy (WTB) ad in the Buy/Sell Pentax section to buy 2nd hand or call up any camera shops in Funan to check if they have stock if you want to buy new.
    thks for the advise neon2.After thinkin bout all the advise the senior have said ive decided tat in all due fairness i wanna enjoy and relax on my holiday.and not worry bout which lens would suit each & every situation.im still green when it comes to such matters and maybe after lots of practice and taking more photos will i learn.reading up will only get me so far.
    I have some doubt as to which "all-in-one" lens to buy.Recently i went to Funan to check out prices for the Pentax 18mm-250mm and was shocked tat not even a single shop has tat lens.dishearted,i went home and did some online research and came across BH photo online.
    there was only the Tamron 18-200mm XR DI-II,Sigma 18-200mm DC lens and Sigma 18-250mm DC OS lenses on sale and i was wondering if anyone has any of these lens and could give more info bout them.Im still searching ard for the Pentax 18-250mm ard Sg.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

    You need to ask yourself why a super zoom like the 18-200 will make for a better holiday lens.
    How often will you use the long end from 85mm to 200mm?
    If its for shooting family members, its usual not the most ideal focal lengths for holiday shots.
    Very often the FOV is too tight, so you will have the subject, but not much bkgnd.
    It can also blur out the bkgnd so much that it become un-recognizable. So in the end,was the pict taken in Patong beach? or East Coast park? - cannot tell, since bkgnd too blur.

    A super zoom is also heavier/unbalanced and dangles down the neck. Not that its a killer, but a consideration to note if you want to travel very light/unencumbered.

    All in all, maybe the 18-55 kit lens will suffice.
    Maybe you will miss some shots at long focal lengths, but would that be 100%, 30% or 5% of all the shots you are making?
    Is it worth the money spent, encumbrance?
    You need to look at your needs and decide for yourself.

    For low light shots, you need a faster lens. At least a f2.8 lens. If you want a 50mm, then consider the FA50/1.4 or the very cheap manual 50mm (eg. 50/2, 50/1.7)

  15. #15

    Default Re: Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post

    All in all, maybe the 18-55 kit lens will suffice.Maybe you will miss some shots at long focal lengths, but would that be 100%, 30% or 5% of all the shots you are making?
    Is it worth the money spent, encumbrance?
    You need to look at your needs and decide for yourself.

    For low light shots, you need a faster lens. At least a f2.8 lens. If you want a 50mm, then consider the FA50/1.4 or the very cheap manual 50mm (eg. 50/2, 50/1.7)
    totally agree with the part highlighted.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

    There's also the new DA 18-135mm that has gotten very good reviews. It'll give you a longer range as compared to the 18-55mm and from what I hear the IQ is pretty good too.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,984

    Default Re: Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by apek7 View Post
    thks for the advise neon2.After thinkin bout all the advise the senior have said ive decided tat in all due fairness i wanna enjoy and relax on my holiday.and not worry bout which lens would suit each & every situation.im still green when it comes to such matters and maybe after lots of practice and taking more photos will i learn.reading up will only get me so far.
    I have some doubt as to which "all-in-one" lens to buy.Recently i went to Funan to check out prices for the Pentax 18mm-250mm and was shocked tat not even a single shop has tat lens.dishearted,i went home and did some online research and came across BH photo online.
    there was only the Tamron 18-200mm XR DI-II,Sigma 18-200mm DC lens and Sigma 18-250mm DC OS lenses on sale and i was wondering if anyone has any of these lens and could give more info bout them.Im still searching ard for the Pentax 18-250mm ard Sg.
    It won't be easy to find the Pentax 18-250 in shops, as it's already been discontinued/out-of-production. Probably much easier to get on B&S. If you want to stick to Pentax, you can consider the 18-135, you lose some reach, but from what we've seen it's definitely better than all the longer superzooms out there in all other aspects.
    My photos - see just some or all of it =)

  18. #18

    Default Re: Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

    To TS,

    I have the DA18-250 and this is a versatile lens to avoid unpleasant environment when changing lens is not advisable.....

    Weight is not an issue to me at mid age, only thing you need is good light condition for shutter speed faster than 1/250 or you have strong pair of hands to avoid shaking. Alt you need flash to help if situation is allowed.

    Not sure you might end up like me having 10-20mm, 35mm, 50mm and 100mm in dry box within one year and few months after this lens. But I never regret own this lens
    PENTAX K1, K-30 DA18-250 PHOTO

  19. #19

    Default Re: Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

    Personal Observation after using DSLR for a few months with 2 overseas trips:- I use the wide end often when i travel. 18mm to 28mm shots have been pretty common. This is becasue often i want to capture monuments, landscape & buildings. But the closer ranges of 50 to 135mm have been "special" in the sense that when i needed it, it was there and i could "reach" it. I didn't think i had at any time missed not having anything beyond 135mm on vacation so far. I pulled out my 55-300 only when i know i was going to be in a situation when i needed it (like when cruising a river and taking shots of the shore).

    One thing i did though before one of my trips was searched the internet and tried to find pictures taken of the places i would visit and try to find out their focal length. From there i was comfortable in making a lens choice.

    For me, my trip was in the middle east and keeping lens change to a minimum was a major consideration. If not i would have got a "smaller" zoom to get a better IQ. However, if you are not entering a dusty environ nor are you being hurried along like in a tour group, then you should have time to change lenses and perhaps keeping the kit and adding a 50-200 & 55-300 as suggested by some here, is enough.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    246

    Default Re: Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

    Yep... I agree with pinholecam and detridus. I recently came back from my semi-backpacking trip from Korea and covered basically every possible travel photographic areas from cityscape to countryside. bright snow to pitch black night. Frankly, the sweet zoom zone is between 17mm to about 70mm.... I basically used my 17-50mm tamron lens for 95% of my shots and my 70-300 was just dead weight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •