Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 85

Thread: Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

  1. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    www.whltelightphotographer.com
    Posts
    1,834

    Default Re: Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

    Err you only need a company if you are offering your service as a business. But the same services could be offer as job for hire. In such case you do not have copyright, but you are still required to be pay by the company who hire you. So it is a green light to band together and invite him to a govn hotel. No violence please, violence will make the wrong person look right.

  2. #62

    Default Re: Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

    Quote Originally Posted by singscott View Post
    No violence please, violence will make the wrong person look right.
    What violence?

  3. #63
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

    Quote Originally Posted by singscott View Post
    Err you only need a company if you are offering your service as a business. But the same services could be offer as job for hire. In such case you do not have copyright, but you are still required to be pay by the company who hire you. So it is a green light to band together and invite him to a govn hotel. No violence please, violence will make the wrong person look right.
    For those wondering...

    These are the only businesses that do not need any buisness registration. See here. The entire Business Registration Act can be found here.

    If you go under job for hire, there is no need to register a business, but you become an employee (part time temporary). Then you will come under Employment Act.

    I recommend all doing work part time to at least know the law and what is required. If you are not a registered entity supplying services, and your contract is worded as a business (probably sole proprietor) supplying services, you will have not much legal recourse. If your contract is presented as part time work contract, you will need to sue him under violation of Employment act.

  4. #64
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    For those wondering...

    These are the only businesses that do not need any buisness registration. See here. The entire Business Registration Act can be found here.

    If you go under job for hire, there is no need to register a business, but you become an employee (part time temporary). Then you will come under Employment Act.

    I recommend all doing work part time to at least know the law and what is required. If you are not a registered entity supplying services, and your contract is worded as a business (probably sole proprietor) supplying services, you will have not much legal recourse. If your contract is presented as part time work contract, you will need to sue him under violation of Employment act.
    we still have sampan man? o.o quite surprised

    (c) a sampan man plying his sampan for hire; or

  5. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

    For those wondering...

    These are the only businesses that do not need any buisness registration. See here. The entire Business Registration Act can be found here.

    If you go under job for hire, there is no need to register a business, but you become an employee (part time temporary). Then you will come under Employment Act.

    I recommend all doing work part time to at least know the law and what is required. If you are not a registered entity supplying services, and your contract is worded as a business (probably sole proprietor) supplying services, you will have not much legal recourse. If your contract is presented as part time work contract, you will need to sue him under violation of Employment act.
    Exactly what I was saying. But if they claim to be going under the guise of "jobs for hire" and Chris disputes that, it is going to be messy.

    And that was why I asked if there was a contract also.

  6. #66
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    we still have sampan man? o.o quite surprised
    You'll be surprised. Just check out rides to Kusu island or St John or Ubin. Bigger sampans with bigger motors.

  7. #67
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

    Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    Exactly what I was saying. But if they claim to be going under the guise of "jobs for hire" and Chris disputes that, it is going to be messy.

    And that was why I asked if there was a contract also.
    Yup. In the end, the contract is the only thing that matters. And how it is worded will determine if it will go under business law or employment act.

  8. #68

    Default Re: Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

    Easy to avoid this..
    1) Get 50% deposit
    2) Draft a contract out. If need be engage a lawyer/your family/your personal lawyer to draft a contract that is foolproof
    3) For jobs with high paycheck engage a lawyer to settle
    5) When client signs the contract it is best to ask an eyewitness to tag along
    4) DO NOT pass the photos to the client before he pays
    5) When the client pays in the end ask an eyewitness to tag along and draft another contract for client to sign to state that the client has paid the full amount already

    I know this may sound a little to the extreme, it really is the (almost) foolproof way of making sure the client doesn't backstab.

  9. #69

    Default Re: Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

    Quote Originally Posted by thejggingmat View Post
    Easy to avoid this..
    1) Get 50% deposit
    2) Draft a contract out. If need be engage a lawyer/your family/your personal lawyer to draft a contract that is foolproof
    3) For jobs with high paycheck engage a lawyer to settle
    5) When client signs the contract it is best to ask an eyewitness to tag along
    4) DO NOT pass the photos to the client before he pays
    5) When the client pays in the end ask an eyewitness to tag along and draft another contract for client to sign to state that the client has paid the full amount already

    I know this may sound a little to the extreme, it really is the (almost) foolproof way of making sure the client doesn't backstab.
    This is way overboard to me. If there is a problem with this client just close the account.
    By asking an eyewitness to tag along your cost is going to go up. Furthermore, for corporate clients you usually do not ask for a deposit. A retainer fee maybe, a cancellation fee, but a 50% deposit?

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    454

    Default Re: Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

    Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    This is way overboard to me. If there is a problem with this client just close the account.
    By asking an eyewitness to tag along your cost is going to go up. Furthermore, for corporate clients you usually do not ask for a deposit. A retainer fee maybe, a cancellation fee, but a 50% deposit?
    The deposit amount is depends on how comfortable between the clients and photographer. Can be any amount.
    http://www.EdmundPhoto.com
    for Weddings, Family Portraits, Executive Portraits, etc

  11. #71
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

    Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    This is way overboard to me. If there is a problem with this client just close the account.
    By asking an eyewitness to tag along your cost is going to go up. Furthermore, for corporate clients you usually do not ask for a deposit. A retainer fee maybe, a cancellation fee, but a 50% deposit?
    +1, larger corporate clients mostly work off POs. And it is very hard and slow for them to do deposits of any kind unless it is coming from petty cash. Smaller companies usually flexible on this, but larger companies will just ignore you and go to the next service provider.

  12. #72
    Senior Member hanqiang1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tiny Red Dot...
    Posts
    2,553

    Default Re: Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBaby View Post
    See his face already wanna wack him up. Such a SL face. Bring him to justice!
    Such a face could be a MC???

  13. #73

    Default Re: Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    +1, larger corporate clients mostly work off POs. And it is very hard and slow for them to do deposits of any kind unless it is coming from petty cash. Smaller companies usually flexible on this, but larger companies will just ignore you and go to the next service provider.
    And if you work with the government it goes through GeBiz. Worst still, if you ever cover for MINDEF, their payment can be slow. Golly.

  14. #74
    Deregistered fabianaino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Orchard
    Posts
    1,454

    Default Re: Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

    I watched the Singapore news a few days back about a fellow who stole sweets in Singapore and was being video cam by the security camera.
    The Video was posted on youtube and it went viral.

    The man was identified very quickly including his own family and he subsequently went by own his own accord to make the payment.
    I think that much as some of us more conservative people will think this is over board, but it serves to get the case closed and it does not board down the time of the police or legitimate authorities to deal with major issues.

  15. #75
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

    Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    And if you work with the government it goes through GeBiz. Worst still, if you ever cover for MINDEF, their payment can be slow. Golly.
    Anything related to the Govt pays slow. Even formerly government owned companies.

  16. #76
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

    Hi all,

    I'm not sure if this thread is still active.
    But I was a past victim who got scam off my engagement fee after doing a photography job for him back few years back.
    Through contacts i have managed to track him down and gotten his current HP number.
    Hope this would help.

    Christopher Liew
    97618369

  17. #77

    Default Re: Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

    Very interesting to learn about this guy.
    TS please update what's the outcome now?
    It about 3 years now.

  18. #78
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

    If got black and white contract, can try bring your case to CASE. If you got a case, CASE may also help you in reporting your case to police.

  19. #79
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

    Quote Originally Posted by Maytaj View Post
    If got black and white contract, can try bring your case to CASE. If you got a case, CASE may also help you in reporting your case to police.
    CASE is only a watchdog. It is not a government agency and as such, have zero rights.

  20. #80
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

    Quote Originally Posted by Maytaj View Post
    If got black and white contract, can try bring your case to CASE. If you got a case, CASE may also help you in reporting your case to police.

    maybe someone kena con by those SLS black shops, than can look for CASE.

    photographers will have better luck with small claim tribunal for filing a claim against such scammers.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •