Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: 35mm f/2d or 35mm f/1.8

  1. #1

    Default 35mm f/2d or 35mm f/1.8

    D90 user here.. already have the 35mm f/2d but still thinking abt the 35mm f/1.8 ..

    which is like better?

  2. #2

    Default Re: 35mm f/2d or 35mm f/1.8

    to me, the 35 f/2D is better in almost every aspect, except for the the silent AF and a little larger aperture

  3. #3
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 35mm f/2d or 35mm f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvindicated View Post
    D90 user here.. already have the 35mm f/2d but still thinking abt the 35mm f/1.8 ..

    which is like better?
    I would pick the 35/1.8. Much sharper, better IQ, faster and more accurate focusing (on D90), larger max aperture, cheaper. 35/1.8 performs slightly below the F2 version only in distortion and CA, but both are very slight and unnoticeable to most shooters.

    The 35/2 is long overdue for an update from Nikon. But I doubt they will do it.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 26th March 2011 at 07:23 AM.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,571

    Default Re: 35mm f/2d or 35mm f/1.8

    Second the 35/1.8. I'm using it too, it's the only lens Nikon produce as a DX prime.
    I think it's easy & inexpensive lens to recommend than 35/2 on D90.

  5. #5
    Member Irvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North? South? East? West?
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: 35mm f/2d or 35mm f/1.8

    i support the 35 f/1.8 too.
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    If you have F2D already, I think no point getting F1.8 bah. Many bro here told me I should get the F2 instead when I bought mine a yr ago
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  7. #7

    Default Re: 35mm f/2d or 35mm f/1.8

    Though the 35mm f1.8 is much revered here, im not seeing many users who post pictures with it. Initially i got this lens for portrait uses. It works relatively well actually but its not as sharp as ppl say. But for general photography its too tight for my liking. And the BnS has many 35mm f1.8 circulating. What does that tell you about this lens?

    And as another user posted, the 35mm f2 and the 1.4 variant does not have much visible difference in sharpness, just the bokeh. The 1.4 version makes the subject POP out more than the f/2 version at apertures 1.4 - 2.8. After that it looks almost the same. So i dont think the f/2 is that bad.

  8. #8

    Default Re: 35mm f/2d or 35mm f/1.8

    I have both lenses. Optically, 35mm f1.8 is sharper, but autofocus wise 35mm f2 is a tad faster. I decided to keep 35mm f2 as I am preparing to upgrade to full frame.

  9. #9

    Default Re: 35mm f/2d or 35mm f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by hotchoco1ate View Post
    Though the 35mm f1.8 is much revered here, im not seeing many users who post pictures with it. Initially i got this lens for portrait uses. It works relatively well actually but its not as sharp as ppl say. But for general photography its too tight for my liking. And the BnS has many 35mm f1.8 circulating. What does that tell you about this lens?

    And as another user posted, the 35mm f2 and the 1.4 variant does not have much visible difference in sharpness, just the bokeh. The 1.4 version makes the subject POP out more than the f/2 version at apertures 1.4 - 2.8. After that it looks almost the same. So i dont think the f/2 is that bad.
    more than half of my keepers tend to be shot using my 35 f/1.8

    that the lens is widely available in bns is hardly an indicator of its quality (or lack thereof); many people can't get used to primes, upgrading to full frame, the list goes on.
    Last edited by verselines; 26th March 2011 at 09:31 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member cichlid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S'pore
    Posts
    5,060

    Default Re: 35mm f/2d or 35mm f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by wmayeo View Post
    Second the 35/1.8. I'm using it too, it's the only lens Nikon produce as a DX prime.
    I think it's easy & inexpensive lens to recommend than 35/2 on D90.


    AF DX Fisheye 10.5mm f/2.8G ED is also a DX prime lens but not cheap though

  11. #11

    Default Re: 35mm f/2d or 35mm f/1.8

    thx guys for the feedback.. intend to upgrade to full frame too.. so decided to keep the f2

  12. #12

    Default Re: 35mm f/2d or 35mm f/1.8

    Hi,

    read somewhere that the 35mm f2 does not auto focus on the D5000. Not sure if this is true? can anybody help?

    Thanks.

  13. #13

    Default Re: 35mm f/2d or 35mm f/1.8

    Looking at the MTF charts below, the sharpness from centre to border of the 35mm f2D at wide open doesn't look good.

    For 35mm f2D



    For 35mm f1.8DX


    For 35mm f1.4G
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

  14. #14
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: 35mm f/2d or 35mm f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by xenomage View Post
    Hi,

    read somewhere that the 35mm f2 does not auto focus on the D5000. Not sure if this is true? can anybody help?

    Thanks.
    35/2 has no built-in AF motor.
    D5000 body has no built-in AF motor.

    put 2 and 2 together, and ....?
    Exploring! :)

  15. #15

    Default Re: 35mm f/2d or 35mm f/1.8

    Sample Shots for Nikon 35mm F2




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •