Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is DSLR with kit lens has better Bokeh than superzoom compact camera?

Default Re: Is DSLR with kit lens has better Bokeh than superzoom compact camera?

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Wow! You are fast.
    I was about to say something along those lines.
    Get a cheap/2nd-hand DSLR and get a cheap fast 50mm lens, will give you the effect you want w/o busting the bank.

Since your got a Kx, just look for a el-cheapo manual 50mm for less than $100 and you are all set.
    What is "el-cheapo"? Any brand or model to recommand? Must be cheap hor!
    Last edited by funkyjazz; 27th March 2011 at 02:20 PM.

Default Re: Is DSLR with kit lens has better Bokeh than superzoom compact camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    First thing is: you can't create bokeh. Second thing: stop being obesses with it. Too many people shooting bokeh with some accidental subject in the frame - an that's how it looks like: a composition accident. Every camera can do that with a person behind viewfinder who knows nuts. But of course, the really expensive cameras and lenses can make the incidents more impressive and the impact on the wallet even deeper
    Your statement is too chim for me newbie. Don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by funkyjazz View Post
    Your statement is too chim for me newbie. Don't understand.
    The point is not to be too obsessed with bokeh bokeh bokeh. Just because a photo has thin DOF and nice bokeh doesn't make it immediately nice.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    The point is not to be too obsessed with bokeh bokeh bokeh. Just because a photo has thin DOF and nice bokeh doesn't make it immediately nice.
    Haha!! I see. I am not obsessed, just always being con by the saleman that compact camera can do bokeh. But they never tell you that the subject must be very very near you. Definitely you can't take on a person. So I just hope that the DSLR will make my photo more creative/interesting.

Haha!! I see. I am not obsessed, just always being con by the saleman that compact camera can do bokeh. But they never tell you that the subject must be very very near you. Definitely you can't take on a person. So I just hope that the DSLR will make my photo more creative/interesting.
    i believe the correct term would be background blur. salesmen, most of the time, they only know how to sell, not use.

compact camera can do bokeh.
    You cannot "do bokeh", no matter what your equipment is.
    Alpha

seems like alot of people dont understand the difference between depth of field and bokeh...

Quote Originally Posted by torak View Post
    seems like alot of people dont understand the difference between depth of field and bokeh...
    The salespeople don't help... They all talk about "bokeh shots" when trying to sell DSLR cameras.
    Alpha

There is a calculation for acceptable sharpness, below which it can be considered out-of-focus, and hence labelled 'blur'.
    Basically it may still seem sharp enough to your eyes, but the background could be deemed as out of focus, hence the salesman may not technically be "conning" you.

What you want is a thinner Depth of Field (DOF) at your comfortable/preferred shooting distance to your subject.

As a number of respondents have been trying to tell you, make sure you use the term 'bokeh' correctly May seem like a cool word to throw into every sentence...

That is why I am in the Newbie corner. So the correct term is thinner depth of field? Thanks for sharing.

What is "el-cheapo"? Any brand or model to recommand? Must be cheap hor!
    El-cheapo just means cheap.
    Just look for any Pentax M50/2, M50/1.7, M50/1.4, A50/2; A50/1.7 or A50/1.4 in the CS Pentax BnS section
    'M' series lenses are cheaper but its manual focus and aperture control
    'A' series is a bit more. Manual focus but aperture control can be done via camera body.

A 'M' series M50/2 (ie. 50mm f2) would be anywhere from $40-$60.

That is why I am in the Newbie corner. So the correct term is thinner depth of field? Thanks for sharing.
    hahaha yes I know

the Depth of Field defines a range of distances from the camera where an object would be considered in focus.
    If you use the Online DOF Calculator here, you can play with some values to try out.

For example, I plugged in
    Pentax K-x
    55mm
    f/5.6
    subject = 10 feet

and I got
    near limit 8.99 ft
    far limit 11.3 ft

Anything beyond 11.3 ft is below what is considered acceptably sharp. But it may not necessarily be a smooth blur (which I presume is what you're looking for).

Total depth of field = 11.3 - 8.99 = 2.27 ft
    A thinner DOF means the total DOF is a small number.

hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    hahaha yes I know

the Depth of Field defines a range of distances from the camera where an object would be considered in focus.
    If you use the Online DOF Calculator here, you can play with some values to try out.

For example, I plugged in
    Pentax K-x
    55mm
    f/5.6
    subject = 10 feet

and I got
    near limit 8.99 ft
    far limit 11.3 ft

Anything beyond 11.3 ft is below what is considered acceptably sharp. But it may not necessarily be a smooth blur (which I presume is what you're looking for).

Total depth of field = 11.3 - 8.99 = 2.27 ft
    A thinner DOF means the total DOF is a small number.

hope that helps.
    Now a little bit clearer. Thanks so much. I will try to do a search for more explanation. Wah, too many things to search....

Now a little bit clearer. Thanks so much. I will try to do a search for more explanation. Wah, too many things to search....
    anyways TS, there's no point in having a good background blur when your compositions's bad, exposure's shot and et cetera. before you go into things like "bokeh", get your basics of ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12